I'm going to Knobels!

Edited: August 11, 2015, 9:52 PM

I know nothing about it. Any tips?

Replies (10)

August 9, 2015, 3:46 PM

Basic Info
-Instead of paying an entry free and riding all the rides for free, at Knoebels, you go in for free and pay for ride
-Phoenix is considered the park's best coaster and is known as one of the best wooden coasters out there
-Their other major coasters are Impulse, a Euro-Fighter like coaster with a vertical drop and inversions, Twister, a woodie with a twister layout, and Flying Turns, a wooden bobsled coasters. All of the park's coasters are pretty good
-Some other good rides are Black Diamond, an indoor coaster, and Haunted Mansion, a haunted house dark ride
-For more info, go to http://www.knoebels.com/

Edited: August 9, 2015, 4:08 PM

-Potato pancakes by the minature train ride at the front of the park are goooood.
-Ride The Whipper, it's a fun old fashioned flat ride.
-Definitely ride the carousel and try to grab two rings at once.
-The best pizza in the park is at the food concession by the Phenoix.
-Have a drink of Birch Beer. It's not offered at all the concession stands.
-Ride The Phenoix with your arms up and enjoy the airtime.
-It's ok to skip the Haunted House. It costs extra to ride and The Black Diamond is better.
-Grab a souvenir shirt. They are affordable at $13-15.
-The Skyride up the mountain offers a great view of the park on the way back down.
-It's ok to skip the pool and water slides.
-Ride Flying Turns if the wait is under 30 minutes (good luck).
-Have FUN!

August 9, 2015, 4:09 PM

Are you going with any kids?

August 9, 2015, 4:28 PM

@Keith Schneider
The will be able to handle any ride.

Edited: August 9, 2015, 4:39 PM

The wrist band (one price payment for MOST of the rides) for the kids may be a good idea. They usually want to go on rides over and over again. Though I believe the wrist bands are not available on the weekends? Not sure, check the website. If they are available on the day you go, get them for the kids. The roller coasters may not be apart of the wrist bands as well. Do your research online before you go.
And parking is free!

Edited: August 9, 2015, 9:36 PM

The first thing you should know about Knoebels is that it is unlike any other amusement park you have ever visited. The park is more like a campground and rides are scattered all over the place. I recommend getting a park map to make sure you don't miss anything, but for the most part it is more fun to just wander the place and see what you come across.

That said, if you want to ride Flying Turns you have to do that first. Flying Turns has pretty poor capacity so it will develop a 45-60 minute wait very quickly. If you get to the park before opening and get in line as early as possible, you should be able to ride with a 15-20 minute wait. If the line's longer than that I would save this until the end of the day as it is good but not great. After Flying Turns, ride Impulse (again, low capacity), then you don't really need a specific plan beyond that as other rides are generally no more than a 20 minute wait.

Some other tips:

-Do not underestimate the amount of time you'll want to spend here. It is a medium sized park, but I would allow a minimum of 6 hours. Ideally plan a full day for the park.

-Ride wristbands are only available on weekdays. I recommend buying the $46 band as it includes all attractions EXCEPT Haunted Mansion. The cheaper wristband ($38) also omits the roller coasters and the Scenic Skyway.

-On a weekend, you must buy ride tickets. However, rides are very reasonably priced at Knoebels ($1.50-$3.00 per ride). If you have less than 6 hours, I would also recommend going for tickets instead of a ride wristband.

-Make sure you have good directions and/or a GPS as the park can be a little tricky to find. Even when you do find it, the place won't look like an amusement park.

-Parking is free and there is no gate around the property, so don't be afraid to arrive early. I believe ticket booths will open early but rides won't start running until official opening time.

-I recommend riding all five main coasters if possible. You will definitely want to get several rides on Phoenix. It is an outstanding wooden coaster. Ride in the back row of the first car for the most intense airtime. Twister is great as well (especially in the front), so definitely do not skip that ride. Flying Turns isn't great, but it is a unique ride. While I haven't ridden Impulse, I've heard it's good. Lastly, Black Diamond is an interesting roller coaster/dark ride hybrid that is worth checking out.

-Among flat rides, Flyer and Skooters are the best. However, even some of the more standard attractions run really good cycles at Knoebels so I would ride as much as you can. I would prioritize the following non-coaster attractions:

-Downdraft
-Fandango
-Flume
-Flyer
-Galleon
-Gasoline Alley (if you have kids)
-Giant Wheel
-Grand Carousel (sit on the outside and try to grab rings)
-Haunted Mansion (it's an upcharge, but only $2 and well worth it)
-Paratrooper
-Pioneer Train
-Skooters (quite possibly the best bumper cars in existence)

-The food at Knoebels is really good and reasonably priced. Cesari's has some outstanding pizza. Make sure to try the Birch Beer if you go somewhere that offers it.

-Play a few games of Fascination. I'm not a huge fan of carnival games, but Fascination is a lot of fun and is only $0.50 per round. If your group is 4 or smaller, a $20 bag of tokens could probably get you around 15 minutes of play time here.

That's about all I can think of off-hand. Knoebels is an outstanding park (I actually enjoyed it more than Disneyland, though you can't really compare the two) and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

August 10, 2015, 5:04 AM

There is no wristband on the weekends so I will have to pay per ride.

Edited: August 10, 2015, 2:12 PM

Yes, if you visit on a weekend you must pay per ride. If doing this, and assuming everyone wants to do everything, I'd recommend starting with $40 of tickets per rider (you can always get more if needed). Doing everything in my list above once will run you about $35, so $40 would get you all that and a couple additional rides. If someone doesn't want to ride a lot (especially if there is someone in your group who doesn't do spinners), you can start with less for them ($20-30 since it will cost about $15 just to do every coaster once). Since I visited on a weekday I don't know how different weekend crowds are, but I'd be surprised if anything other than Flying Turns and Impulse got over 30 minutes. For budgeting time, assume $5 of tickets (per person) will last approximately 45 minutes.

August 10, 2015, 2:26 PM

That's a very good estimate AJ - $5 of tickets per person will last approximately 45 minutes. Take AJ's advice, Jaiden.

August 11, 2015, 8:01 AM

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to going.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive