Incredible Hulk Coaster Enhancements

Edited: August 14, 2015, 12:11 PM

Universal announced today that the Incredible Hulk coaster will be closed from September 8 until next summer for enhancements including "storyline, ride vehicles and overall experience" enhancements which will make the ride feel "more immersive and high-tech".

Glad this was announced so we can finally put to bed the idea that Marvel is leaving.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/the-incredible-hulk-enhancement/

Replies (6)

August 14, 2015, 8:54 AM

Glad to see Universal do some rehab on a great ride...
(If this were Disney they would add some lights and have a grand re-opening)hahaha - sorry I couldn't resist..

This coaster has gotten a bit rough over the years so this is a welcomed rehab.

August 14, 2015, 9:27 AM

The word is that they will install LSMs to replace the existing launch system. B&M finally broke down and installed their first LSM coaster this year (Thunderbird), so perhaps a retrofit of Hulk is the response to B&M giving in on LSMs. I'm not sure what else they could do, but I hope it's not like what was attempted with Led Zeppelin. While an amazing experience, the requirement of guests to sit through the 2+ minute pre-show, even when there's no line, was frustrating. However, that's pretty much what I read from what has been leaked. It sounds like there will be a pre-show area (probably in the current boarding area) that creates the plot. Then the trains will be fitted with on-board sound to make the story carry through the ride. I wouldn't be surprised if they add some props and other surprises (flame thrower/more misters) on the second half of the coaster much like what Six Flags did with Medussa/Bizzaro.

August 14, 2015, 9:41 AM

OK Russell - made me look this up.

Linear Induction Motor (LIM) and Linear Synchronous Motor (LSM) coasters use propulsion via electromagnets, which utilize large amounts of electricity to propel the coaster train along its track into the ride elements (e.g. inversions, twists, turns and short drops). Seven design companies managing these types of rides are Vekoma Industries, Intamin, Gerstlauer, Premier Rides, Maurer Söhne, Zierer, MACK Rides and now Bolliger and Mabillard.

Electricity is transferred into a motor so that it controls the speed at which it will urge the car forward. LIMs are mainly used in Premier Rides roller coasters and Intamin impulse coasters. However, LIMs are also used for transport systems and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority in the Magic Kingdom for low acceleration, unlike what most roller coasters use for high acceleration.

August 14, 2015, 10:03 AM

That coaster is falling apart. It's a fun ride, but it looks like something at Six Flags. It deserves and upgrade.

Edited: August 14, 2015, 10:15 AM

My wife and I will be there on Sept 7th! Not sure what the deal is this year as we rode Pirates the day before it closed earlier this year as well. Anyone have a request for rehab, maybe if I plan to go ride it the next day it will close for rehab too?!?!

August 14, 2015, 12:04 PM

And those that insisted listening to inaccurate rumor web sites about Disney getting Marvel back from Universal Orlando. Yeah, right! (Only legit sites are TPI, Orlando United (and Parkscope guys), WDW Magic, TP, & Mice Chat sometimes)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive