DHS Redo Predictions

August 19, 2015, 7:40 AM

Based on the recent news and rumors, here's how I think the whole Hollywood Studios makeover will turn out.

Hollywood Boulevard: No major changes, just a slight refreshening

Sunset Boulevard: Tangled replaces Beauty and the Beast, Fantasmic gets some uprgrades, Rock N' Roller Coaster kicks out Aerosmith for a new digital music version ala Test Track (hopefully sponsored by Spotify)

Animation Courtyard: Frozen Sing Along replaces Little Mermaid, Tokyo's Monsters Inc ride replaces the Animation Building, One Man's Dream is relocated (current theater is used for Monsters while a new one is built in the old Jack Sparrow building)

Toy Story Land: Done as pictured replaces the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground and the Backlot Tour queue and tram station.

Cars Land: Goes on the majority of the Backlot with Radiator Springs Racers, the new Luigi ride and Lights Motors Action is 100% Cars themed.

Streets of America: Transformed into Muppet Studios with new Muppet Vision 3D movie

Star Wars Universe: As pictured. I believe the Millenium Falcon ride will be an interactive "teamwork" attraction ala Mission Space/Legoland's Fire Academy where guests will have to work together in the middle of an ambush (gunner, navigator, pilot) For the "First Order vs. Resistance ride", I wouldn't be shocked if it was a 3D simulator ala Spider Man or Transformers

I know some of these predictions may seem far fetched, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Replies (22)

August 19, 2015, 9:20 AM

Frozen Sing-Along is already moving to the former American Idol Theater:

Orlando Sentinel (6/6/15)"For the First Time in Forever: A 'Frozen' Sing-Along Celebration" returns to the theme park's Frozen Summer Fun Live event this summer. The show is moving from Premier Theater to Hyperion Theater, the new name for the former home of the now-shuttered American Idol Experience.

Also the Animation Building (as I understand it) will be home to Star Wars Launch Bay:

TPI: "Star Wars Launch Bay: An interactive experience, to go to into ... the former Animation pavilion space at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Star Wars Launch Bay will include character meet and greets, exhibits themed to the new Star Wars films, and new stores. It will open later this year on both coasts.

So ...

August 19, 2015, 9:45 AM

I'm hoping Muppets goes away. It will be odd to have it in the middle between Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land.

There was no news about Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground. Either it gets renamed and made a part of Toy Story Land or it is literally moved to Toy Story Land.

Streets of America has to go away. There is no place for it at all. It's a big space waster.

DHS is a very flat park. They need to make it easier to go from one place to another. With the Backlot Tour already gone, they should open up the backlot facilities to new development behind the Chinese Theater. Making Star Wars go further south tells me they have no concern about how much walking they expect the guests to do. The walk from Lights Motor Action to Tower of Terror is a half mile.

August 19, 2015, 10:16 AM

I hope that Muppets stays. It is one of my favorite attractions at Disney because, well, MUPPETS!

August 20, 2015, 6:18 AM

I thought the Idol theater was being demolished for Star Wars. It would make sense to put a popular show like Frozen in place of something as unpopular as Mermaid. Also, does anyone think they should relocate Muppets if they need room for Star Wars?

August 20, 2015, 7:07 AM

I'm reading some rumors of the Fantasmic area being used for a daytime show in addition to the evening show. That would be fantastic if true, and would help make a really small park feel much larger.

August 20, 2015, 8:49 AM

Anything that actually expands the park's footprint is fine by me, though I'd like to see Streets of America go away, and keep LMA for the simple fact that I'd like to know that the Toy Story Land stuff isn't going there, so it can be used for something else in the future.

August 20, 2015, 1:43 PM

I'm all for expanding the current footprint of the park also. They have a lot of ways to expand at DHS, so They don't have to try and squeeze everything into a confined area. Also, I'm hoping for an Indiana Jones attraction re-boot and I would like for the muppets to stay. I love the show and think they could simply tweak it a little. I'd also like more of a Pixar presence than just Toy Story Land. That's my 2 cents worth.

August 21, 2015, 8:14 AM

I predict:

Disney will rename DHS and attendance will increase 10% simply because people think it is a new park.

Disney will move at a snail's pace on the improvements and the Universal fans will scoff at the lack of attractions during the updates and the Disney fans will quote attendance figures for the half-finished park and say Disney must be doing something right, but in the end the park will turn out fabulous and quickly rise to #2 in attendance at all central Florida theme parks.

Pixar enthusiasts will complain about the lack of other Pixar attractions in Toy Story Land but the rest of us won't care because we're too busy trying to get fastpass reservations on MyMagic+, and Disney will make 2 more Toy Story sequels in the time it takes to complete the new land.

Star Wars Universe/Land/whatever will take about the same amount of time to complete as the entire original Magic Kingdom and during the entire process Star Wars purists will complain about the lack of different worlds in the land while the rest of us are grateful that Jar-Jar Binks doesn't become the mascot for the new land.

TH Creative will write "2021 " at least 45 times in various threads discussing the updates to the new park between now and the time when it will be completed.

Universal will purchase land on the other side of I-4 and build a new park with themed lands featuring The Lord of the Rings, Hello Kitty, and Nintendo, and get it completed before the updates to DHS are done but the Disney fanboys will pan it because it has too little "magic" in the asphalt and too many 3-D screens in the attractions mix.

Edited: August 21, 2015, 5:57 PM

Mr. Hillman writes: "TH Creative will write "2021 " at least 45 times in various threads discussing the updates to the new park between now and the time when it will be completed."

I Respond: No. I will write it exactly 42 times. And on the day I have posted "2021" for the 42nd time Disney will announce that it intends to build new attractions based upon IP acquired from Douglas Adams' estate.

Ha!

When will you finally realize that I know the answers to life, the universe, and everything.

August 21, 2015, 9:15 PM

^"The Lord of the Rings, Hello Kitty, and Nintendo..."

Hello Kitty? Really? I hope not. But two out of three ain't bad, I guess.

August 22, 2015, 6:39 AM

I'm seeing a pattern here. Eoin Colfer, Douglas Adams... TH is infected with with British humor! Perhaps there's some Terry Pratchett on the bookshelf and some Monty Python in the DVR?

August 22, 2015, 6:43 AM

Sadly James, of the three IPs Hello Kitty is the only one coming to a theme park soon and the one I would think would be least likely to be in a park.

Must be a sign of the end times. Better check with TH Creative first though.

August 22, 2015, 9:33 AM

I'd like to have an argument, please.

Edited: August 22, 2015, 9:56 AM

If Hello Kitty invades Universal, what will happen to all those MANLY MEN who say Disney is for kids and Universal is for MEN????

TH... You have no time for arguments.... You should be working on your next book! It is way overdue!

August 24, 2015, 4:22 PM

Rao-Stabout writes: "TH... You have no time for arguments.... You should be working on your next book! It is way overdue!"

I Respond: I am waiting for Hillman to read the first one.

http://www.amazon.com/7097-050719-theme-park-trilogy-Creative-ebook/dp/B00D3H1PFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440458486&sr=8-1&keywords=7097-050719&pebp=1440458491968&perid=15X17012G4TJSPP3QQC1

Robert Niles: "TH really knows his stuff -- if you're a theme park fan, you'll recognize many of the characters in this book, from Walt Disney to several Disney executives. But this isn't corporate history -- it's a fun "what if?" caper with action, insight and the wonderfully engaging premise: What if Walt Disney really had been frozen alive? I can't wait for the next installments, so I can keep reading the story."

August 25, 2015, 5:36 AM

Oh geez! I totally forgot I bought it on Amazon over a year ago right before I had a major crisis in my career (got transferred against my will into a job with no OT and no promotion prospects simply because someone else screwed up and I had the credentials to step right into the position). I'll read it this week and post a review just so James can rightfully demand Episode 2.

We have now accomplished a total thread hijack. Sorry, Christopher!

August 25, 2015, 11:54 AM

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate you taking the time to help out.... And the book is good, except for all the cussing! TH has a potty mouth!!!

August 25, 2015, 2:04 PM

Rao-about-that writes: "TH has a potty mouth!!!"

I Respond: No. Baxter does.

August 25, 2015, 7:23 PM

Interesting distinction... but methinks Baxter doth speak with thy voice, Master Th Caricature.

August 25, 2015, 9:12 PM

Douglas Adams in theme park format, that would be awesome. Would be best done at Sea World to incorporate the dolphins.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Edited: August 26, 2015, 2:05 AM

Err...what is this thread about?

And was the second president Douglas Adams? Or Douglas Quincy Adams? I can never remember. :p

August 26, 2015, 11:31 AM

It's about one of the best theme park novels ever written!

http://www.amazon.com/7097-050719-theme-park-trilogy-Creative-ebook/dp/B00D3H1PFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440613850&sr=8-1&keywords=7097-050719&pebp=1440613852863&perid=00FNJ43CTQSY222WQG74

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive