What I learned while at Disneyland

August 31, 2015, 9:31 AM

Yesterday I returned from a 4 and a half day vacation at the Disneyland resort. After being at Disney world last year, I really learned a lot about Disneyland

• Disneyland counter service is MUCH better than WDW. Not all burgers and fries there. We got some amazing quick service at Flo's and the Pinocchio Haus

• Entertainment is top notch. For example, Fantasmic is 10 times better at Disneyland, and I actually enjoyed Paint the Night more than MSEP. Other exclusive shows like World of Color and Magical Map are phenomenal

• Cast members. Now I'm not saying the cast members at WDW are bad in any way, but
I seemed liked the ones at DL always went the extra mile to help as much as possible. For example, after getting stuck on Big Thunder for 15 minutes, they gave us a fast pass for any ride at all, not only for big thunder (we obviously used them for RSR)

• Space Mountain. From the smooth track to the awesome music, this version was superior

Replies (8)

August 31, 2015, 1:59 PM

I go to Disneyland all the time, but am planning a trip to Disney World. Do you have any advise?

August 31, 2015, 4:53 PM

Hey Blake, I'd be more than happy to give you some advice! Just reply with specific questions or concerns you may have

August 31, 2015, 6:35 PM

Are the parks really that far apart?
How are the crowds on a weekday in July?
Are the water parks worth it?
Is there a hotel that is only a 5-15 minute ride with any vehicle from Magic Kingdom and Epcot?
How big is the castle compared to Disneyland's?

August 31, 2015, 7:41 PM

• The parks space from each other really depends are where you are and which park you want to go to. The monorails only go to the three hotels, magic kingdom and Epcot. Buses usually run every 10 minutes from wherever you are so getting to each park won't take more than 15 minutes.

•I've never been to Disney world in July so I couldn't tell you

• I've only been to the Typhoon Lagoon water park, and it's definitely worth it! Lots of fun, especially on a hot July day

• The monorail hotels are close to MK and Epcot and won't take long. The Epcot hotels (Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin and Yacht & Beach Club) are in walking distance to Epcot and are a quick 10 minute boat ride to Hollywood Studios. Each of the three Epcot hotels has their own boat docks with boats running daily

• The castle is MUCH larger than Disneyland's. I personally like Disneyland's more because of the cool Sleeping Beauty walk through. Hope all of this info helps !

August 31, 2015, 7:44 PM

Thanks, really helpful!

September 1, 2015, 1:07 AM

Also, what were your thoughts while visiting Disneyland? When I was showing a friend from Florida around, she kept saying "Who shrunk the castle and painted it pink?"

September 1, 2015, 7:18 AM

I personally love Disneyland. It has so much charm and its just so amazing. As far as the castle, Walt didn't want a large castle because he didn't want it visible from the outside of the park. The castle was originally blue before it was painted pink. In fact, in Fantasy Faire, you can view a castle turret that is still blue. Cool little fact. I'd recommend showing your friend things that aren't in Disney world, like Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Cars Land, and rides that are in both parks but are better in Disneyland (Pirates, Astro Blasters, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Peter Pan's Flight, etc.)

September 7, 2015, 8:31 AM

I actually had the exact opposite views on the Cast Members. They were hands down worse at DL than at WDW. Maybe I got a bad batch...

I will agree that DIR has better counter service. I think part of the reason is that they do not have to make food as quickly as WDW. The crowds between the two are staggering!

MSEP vs Paint the Night was a bit of a Wash for Me. They are roughly the same thing (they even use the same music)

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive