First time at Dorney Park

September 12, 2015, 5:47 AM

It's hard to believe a coaster enthusiast who lives in Philadelphia has never been to Dorney Park. I've seen Dorney from the highway, I've had friends rave about Steal Force, so I have decided I will be going to the park before the season ends. Any tips to save time in line?
Thanks!

Replies (4)

September 12, 2015, 9:04 PM

I can't say that it will be the same during Halloween Haunt, but I visited Dorney Park on a Saturday in August last year and the longest I waited for a ride was 10 minutes. I did all the major operating coasters (Stinger was down) twice, both drop rides twice, the log flume, and a couple flats by lunch time. Unless a ton of people come for Halloween Haunt, I'm guessing you'll experience similar provided you avoid holidays. Do Wild Mouse and Stinger first as those have lower capacity, but I don't think you'll have to worry too much about long lines.

Also, based on your picture I'm guessing SFGAdv is your home park. While Steel Force is good, it is not even in the same league as Nitro. Same thing when comparing Hydra and Bizarro (though I did prefer Talon to Batman). I don't want to discourage you from visiting as they are still quality coasters, just expect good rides instead of great rides in order to avoid disappointment.

Edited: September 13, 2015, 8:36 AM

@AJ yes I live in Philly so my home park is SFGA. I am was not expecting the same because I've heard the same. Is stinger the inverted Boomerang they have? Also I don't care for Halloween stuff, so I'll be visitng during the day.

September 13, 2015, 10:42 PM

Should have looked closer in your opening post as you stated your location. Yes, Stinger is Dorney Park's Invertigo. While I don't know how it is running now, I rode it when it was at California's Great America and it was fairly decent (definitely better than most regular Boomerangs). To my knowledge, Dorney does not have a separate ticket for their haunt event, but unless a lot of people arrive early I'm guessing you'll have minimal crowds if visiting during the day. Just make sure you avoid days where rain is forecast as Cedar Fair parks are notorious for closing rides (or going to one train operation) in the rain.

Edited: September 17, 2015, 1:27 PM

This is funny because I prefer Steel Force to Nitro and Batman to Talon. My favorite is Possessed. Sit towards the back despite the tempting front row. If you go during the Haunt, those attractions get pretty crowded. But if you're going during then and just want the regular rides, they'll be empty. Thunderhawk is always closed during Haunt nights, FYI.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive