Pirates Reopens at Walt Disney World

Edited: September 26, 2015, 11:02 AM

Pirates of the Caribbean has reopened at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom, after a lengthy refurbishment. Disney reports that it has replaced many of the animatronics on the ride, as well as adding new on-ride effects, including new cannon and weather effects. Disney even promises new scents on the ride, though a few morning riders today reported on Twitter that they didn't smell anything new other than fresh paint.

Have you been on the refreshed Pirates of the Caribbean yet? Tell us about it, in the comments.

Replies (5)

September 26, 2015, 4:56 PM

I'll be doing it next week. Reports from those that have rode it say the boats were not replaced and they have the same water splashing & water in the boat issues as before. They also said the audio has been improved plus the other improvements Robert noted.

September 26, 2015, 9:37 PM

How will they mitigate the finger slicing? Telling the guests to keep their hands and arms inside is not enough.

September 27, 2015, 9:04 AM

Anon; Perhaps mandatory straitjackets for all riders. LOL....Actually, it appears they need to replace the boats. Just because they spent a lot of money on them is no excuse to ignore that it was a poor decision. Disney should just accept they need to take the loss and put boats in that aren't so customer unfriendly.

September 28, 2015, 2:43 PM

A glass dome on the boats.

October 19, 2015, 11:33 AM

We rode POC six times during our trip. The refurbished attraction looked great. It seemed that everything was in good working order, AA's, effects and the sound was upgraded so I could finally understand everything they were saying & singing. Even the clouds in the sky were working, and that made the entire ride more impressive. I didn't see the mermaids so perhaps they took that effect out. "But" it appears the boats really need replaced. Two of our rides had stoppages of over half an hour, so they gave us extra paper fast passes. Three of the other rides had stoppages of around 10 minutes each. The only ride that went straight through got backed up for a good while on the last treasure room scene. We kind of enjoyed the stoppages though since we were able to see the rooms in super detail. They also would sometimes run 15 to 20 empty boats through at a time, so I would guess that had something to do with the boat issue. Lines were long waits for both stand by and fast pass+. And, yes, you will get pretty wet if you are in the first or second row. Almost the same as Splash Mountain. In summary, the attraction looks and sounds much better than I've ever seen it. But, it sure appears they will need to replace those problem boats in the future.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive