Why KingKong themed ride vs something more current..

October 2, 2015, 1:25 PM

I am trying to figure out the reasoning behind the king kong theme ride, coming back as it were, to UOR. It almost like bring back BTTF, back to the future ride, which is ashame it was converted to Simpsons, or some other long forgotten ride.

Is king kong that happening now,?? I was not aware.

Replies (12)

October 2, 2015, 1:44 PM

I think it's because between the advanced technology and the fact that it's popular in Universal Hollywood. I also think Universal Orlando just wants to bring in as many rides as possible, even if that means just carbon copies of the ones in Hollywood or vice versa... *cough* fast and furious *cough*

October 2, 2015, 2:05 PM

The ride is more or less based off the 2005 Peter Jackson movie, not the 1930's original films like the previous ride was based off of.

Also, the studio tram 360 experience based off that movie is a success, so it's a no brainier to put it in the Orlando park. Also, it won't be a carbon copy of the studio tram experience, but an original dark ride in its own right.

October 2, 2015, 2:41 PM

A better question is whether or not the Skull Island setting will feature a T-Rex (giant lizard) .... Next to Jurassic Park which features a T-Rex (giant lizard) .... Next to Potter which features a dragon (giant lizard).

Related: I heard a rumor that Barney is moving from USF to IOA.

October 2, 2015, 3:02 PM

I head Godzilla is planning to move invade Zzeuss-land as well.

October 2, 2015, 4:54 PM

"Kong: Skull Island" is scheduled to hit theatres in 2017. A sort of Kong origin story, from what I've heard. So, yes, there is definitely a movie tie-in for the the new ride.

Personally, I absolutely love this nod to one of the classics.

October 2, 2015, 9:00 PM

TH, it is actually a V Rex at Skull Island. They are much bigger than T Rexes

October 3, 2015, 6:55 AM

*YAWN*

Kong is just a stop gap project to keep things moving while Universal Creative designs the next Harry Potter expansion.

October 3, 2015, 8:27 AM

Stop Gap? Very Expensive Stop Gap expansion

Raptor Encounter was a stop gap expansion. After the success of Jurassic World it does seem Universal would have rather used the land for Jurassic expansion.

October 3, 2015, 1:05 PM

Maybe the next Harry Potter expansion will have a dragon ... Or even better a T-Rex.

October 3, 2015, 8:04 PM

Why is Disney building an Iron Man ride? That character is from 1963.

See the logic? It's not about when a character was created, but rather the size of its fan base, and whether it can still grow with new movies. Can King Kong? I personally don't think so, but with the upcoming movie, they're betting it's still a property worth investing in.

I think when all is said and done, the quality of the attraction is more important than the IP it's based on. I could be wrong, but that's my stance.

October 3, 2015, 8:19 PM

Gabriel, in all fairness, Ironman didn't hit this level of popularity until 2008 when the first film came out. If Marvel never rebooted Ironman, you'd bet there'd be no new ride

October 4, 2015, 8:26 AM

@TH Creative And why don't they put Barney (a giant lizard), next to Harry Potter (a dragon), next to Jurassic Park (a lot of giant lizards), next to Kong (giant dino lizards). IOA should become Islands of Lizards.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive