50th Anniversary Closures

October 2, 2015, 7:18 PM

So in 6 years, WDW will be 50. Obviously a lot can change in only six years, so with that in mind, which WDWattractions will no longer be around during WDW's 50th anniversary?

My predictions:
• Peoplemover
• Carousel of Progress
• Stitch
• Mission Space
• Figment
• Circle of Life
• Ellen
• About half of DHS

Replies (10)

October 3, 2015, 12:29 PM

You would think they would restore Carousel of Progress for the 50th.

October 3, 2015, 1:24 PM

You would think that, but with the horrible condition it's been in, you'd wonder if it'll last

October 3, 2015, 3:18 PM

Ellen has to go

October 3, 2015, 4:57 PM

I agree with a lot of these except Mission Space, which is one of Epcot's best and crowd drawing attractions.

October 3, 2015, 6:40 PM

If that many tomorrowland attractions are going away, it will be when the entire land gets an overhaul, which I don't expect for until after the anniversary, and Disneylands is done, who needs it more. My guess is Disney will update and refurbish Carousel of Progress for the anniversary, and redo the entire land within a few years later.

October 3, 2015, 8:43 PM

My hope is none of the above, at least until I get a chance to visit. However, from the list:

-Peoplemover: No, this attraction is too iconic to close and removing it was one of the biggest mistakes Disneyland has made
-Carousel of Progress: Maybe, but I hope it just gets refurbished as the idea seems good
-Stitch: I see this one closing, as the general consensus is that it isn't very good
-Mission Space: No, from what I hear this is still pretty popular and it's not that old yet
-Figment: Probably, as this would be the most likely place for an Inside Out attraction
-Circle of Life: I never hear anything about this show, so I doubt it draws enough of a crowd to stay
-Ellen: Seems like a dated attraction, but I'd probably put this under maybe since I couldn't see multiple pavilion renovations before the 50th with everything else going on
-About half of DHS: With what has closed already and the scale of Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land, this one is pretty much confirmed

In addition, from a purely outside view and without having experienced any of the attractions below in person I would submit the following as possible candidates for closure:

-Swiss Family Treehouse: It was retired in California and is pretty dated, plus a major refurbishment would probably be impossible due to current ADA regulations
-The Magic Carpets of Aladdin: There's no reason to have 3 very similar attractions in one park and this seems like the weakest version
-Tomorrowland Speedway: I honestly doubt this would be before the 50th, but once Magic Kingdom redoes their Tomorrowland it will probably be cut (just like Disneyland's Autopia will be cut in the Tomorrowland redo)
-Gran Fiesta Tour: If Coco is a hit, I definitely see this getting a similar conversion to what is happening with Maelstrom
-Rafiki's Planet Watch: This area seems pointless to me and I'd be curious to see how many visitors actually take the time to go out here
-Dinoland USA: Dinosaur can stay, but after Avater Land redoing this area should be the next priority for Animal Kingdom

October 4, 2015, 7:28 AM

• Peoplemover: Doesn't cost much to operate and it still puts people through
• Carousel of Progress: Too much of a classic, fanboys would freak out
• Stitch: The lowest rated disney attraction on this site
• Mission Space: Still popular and it has a fairly high capacity
• Figment: BIG redo or the fanboys would freak out
• Circle of Life: No one cares
• Ellen: I like the ride, but no one cares
• About half of DHS: Already happened

October 5, 2015, 5:10 AM

AJ, not to hijack from the OT but Rakifi's Planet Watch is good for those who really like Animal Education. It's actually really cool, however I hate that you have to ride a train to get to it. I feel it would get more attention if you could get to it quicker.

When my wife and I finally visited a few trips ago we were able to talk with several of the vets on site and they brought out several live animals that were healing from injuries. Very cool experience and one of the few ways you can really get close to the animals at AK.

October 6, 2015, 6:46 PM

Nooooo. Figment stays!!!

October 7, 2015, 9:38 AM

"-Swiss Family Treehouse: It was retired in California and is pretty dated, plus a major refurbishment would probably be impossible due to current ADA regulations"

Wrong. Disneyland's treehouse was converted to Tarzan. It is still open despite ADA regulations.

I heard Ellen will be rehabbed with her still being around. She is still immensely popular.

Figment. Yes, there's no point and no one cares except for a few that can't let go. Updating Imagination with Inside/Out characters would be a good improvement.

Stitch. Anything else would be an improvement.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive