Debbie Johnson - The Voices of Liberty

October 31, 2015, 6:48 AM

In the fall of 1982, I was a student in the Magic Kingdom College Program at Walt Disney World. It was amazing to be there and be a part of the opening of EPCOT Center. And Debbie Johnson was there as well -- an original member of the peerless a capella group the Voices of Liberty.

For 33 years, Debbie has sang at the American Adventure. Today will be her final performance.

Quoting the Orlando Sentinel article: "More than three decades, meetings with four presidents and thousands of "Skip to My Lou" performances later, one of the theme park's original Voices of Liberty is on the edge of retirement."

Melissa Hoepner, entertainment guest-service manager: "(Debbie) definitely brings heritage to the group — the history and traditions. She's a fabulous storyteller. I love just sitting and listening to what happened in 1982."

It's another Food and Wine Saturday, and it's Halloween. That alone will draw enormous crowds to the park. I can only imagine how many people will be standing beneath the rotunda, to watch and to listen to Debbie's last performance.

This talented woman can most certainly be regarded as a Disney legend.

Replies (3)

October 31, 2015, 6:49 AM

The link to the Orlando Sentinel article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-epcot-voices-debbie-johnson-20151029-story.html

October 31, 2015, 10:58 AM

Wow... that is amazing.

November 1, 2015, 6:46 AM

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive