Why we go to theme parks

January 4, 2016, 1:42 PM

Insiders, we have all heard our friends and family make the snide remarks when our annual vacations involve a visit to a theme park. If you are like me, there are the jokes made on your behalf. Then the obvious question...why do you always go on vacation to a theme park?
There a multitude of reasons. The first is a given, we love it. We love the rides. We love the food. We love the sights, smells, and sounds. We love the thrill of the coasters. We love the wonder of the mechanical engineering and creativity that went into making our favorite attractions. All of these and more go into our decisions to continue spending our time and money at these destinations.
Recently another reason became clear to me. In November, I returned home from a fun filled vacation in Orlando. We were hit with the news that my father has a very aggressive form of cancer. He is in the latter stages, and chemo is not affecting it at all. With this news, I was reminded why we go to theme parks.
Most of us take friends or family with us on these vacations. Why? We do this because we are sharing these amazing experiences and creating memories. These memories will hit us at unexpected times. The smell of popcorn, the sound of fireworks, seeing a t-shirt will bring those happy times to mind.
I have been blessed to have taken numerous vacations with members of my family. These memories are even more precious to me now. I encourage each of you to continue this new year with going to your favorite parks with those you love. If you are like me, you will never regret the time and money spent there. Even the bad experiences can one day be looked on in humor. Plan your trips, ignore the teasing, and scream with joy on your favorite ride with friends and family.

Replies (6)

January 5, 2016, 7:23 AM

Amanda, I am truly sorry to hear about your Dad... Life often slaps you in the face when you are not looking.

I do agree, we have no clue what the future holds and we need to take some time to enjoy ourselves. I often say, work gets in the way of living.

My dad once told me, if you can afford the vacation - take it while you feel healthy. This is especially true when visiting places like Vegas and Orlando when there is a lot of walking.

We never know when - when is, so have some fun while you are here in your earth vehicle.
Please take care and I hope for only the best for your Dad...
Anyone can Father a child but it takes someone special to be a Dad..

January 5, 2016, 8:35 PM

Thank you Brian. Your words are so true.

January 7, 2016, 2:17 AM

Thanking you for sharing that with us Amanda.
I am so sorry to hear this news about your father. My thoughts and best wishes to you and your family.
Hold those happy memories close.

January 8, 2016, 11:29 AM

I love going to theme parks for a lot of the same reasons. Orlando parks more than others for the most part. I have been going to disney and Universal for as long as I can remember. When I was young and my dad owned his own company, I am fortunate to say that we went alot. I never once took it for granted the times my parents took me, my brother, and my sister to Orlando. Now that I am old enough and planning my own trips, I still feel the same way about the parks.

Me and my girlfriend go to Universal Orlando every october to visit the park and to go to Halloween Horror Nights. Every year we enjoy every minute of it. For us it isnt just about the rides. For us it is being in the park, being in that atmosphere, seeing all the attractions and details we used to see as kids as well as the new features. Like you said, Its about smelling the smells, seeing the details, hearing the sounds, and overall just enjoying the opportunities we have or are given to be at such a great place.

We just recently went to USO in October. Me, my girlfiend, my parents, and my sister. Even at 26 I still enjoy going on vacation with my family, because you never know when the last time you will be able to spend some quality time with them will be.

We are already planning our trip back to Universal in October, and I most likely will be inviting my parents once again, as well as the rest of my family.

January 19, 2016, 5:41 PM

Why I go to theme parks,,, wow. Lets start by saying my thoughts are with you that's tough to go through. Now why, I go to theme parks. I go because im 10 and its family bonding experience. Im a huge fan of theme parks and they get me so happy that I have made homemade newsletters! So theme parks mean to me that family and fun. I know that once I grow up I wont go to Disney as much so I cherish the time with family and occasionally friends. That's what it means to me. This is my first post so I look forward to being active on here

January 20, 2016, 4:21 AM

Hey Amanda, we went through the "cancer with my Dad" thing this past year, and it was a terribly difficult time. My thoughts and prayers go out for you, hoping for comfort, for strength, and for a miracle. Cancer is a real beast - so be strong for your Dad and for the rest of your family, and know the TPI faithful have your back.

Like you, I go to theme parks for the memories - but not just of the parks themselves, but of all the little adventures along the way. It's great that my kids talk about coaster counts, and shout, "We've been there!" every time the Disney castle logo pops up on a movie screen, but the best gift is when they say, "Remember that time we stopped at the Drury Suites near Atlanta and ate a huge breakfast at that amazing 24 hour Greek restaurant at midnight?" Sure, they'll remember the rides, the shows, and the adventures they had at whatever theme park we visited at the end of the journey, but it's those unique memories we make along the way that are important to me. Those memories are the ones we'll remember for a lifetime...and beyond.

Keep the faith, Amanda!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive