June 2016 - Orlando

January 5, 2016, 1:20 AM

Hi
New to the site and so glad I found it!!
We are travelling in JUNE 2016. Now I know weather can be unpredictable at this time of year but I wondered how many other forum members have experienced it? I have a friend in Orlando who said that you can get a downpour most afternoons (late) and then it may pass by.

Also - what percentage of rides / attractions at Universal Studios are undercover? - We are not doing Disney as we have done that before.

And finally - if weather is severe do attractions get closed down?

Any help / advice / tips would be great!!

Replies (5)

January 6, 2016, 8:22 PM

Rides that are outdoors get temporally closed, but the ones indoor don't.

Edited: January 7, 2016, 8:40 AM

Generally you'll see rain about 4:00 nearly every day. Usually it's not worth changing your daily plans over it since it's usually over in an hour or two. Universal Orlando has what are probably the best indoor queues in existence, so even if it's raining, you'll be inside with entertaining queues. The Hulk (Hulk should be back up in June) & Dragon Challenge coasters have indoor queues. The coasters and water rides (of course) are outdoors. A great time to do Popeye/Bluto Bilge Rat Barges, Dudley Do Right, Red Fish Blue Fish, and Jurassic Park River Adventure water rides is when it's raining. Usually they'll only shut down the outdoor rides when there's lightening.Most of Universal Studio's attractions are indoors while Islands of Adventure are apx, 50/50.

January 7, 2016, 10:15 PM

Rob and your friend have it right! It rains almost like clockwork around that time! The good news is that most of the attractions are indoors like they are at Disney. I would give a slight edge to the USO since nearly all are indoors.

Either way, I would recommend going to a restaurant or show during the rain.

January 8, 2016, 10:32 AM

I know this might not be the answer you are looking for, but you should think about going in October. The reason being, 1. Halloween Horror Nights adds an extra event you can go to at night. 2. Despite Halloween Horror Nights being busy, the park is definitaly not as busy as it is in the summer time, considering the kids are still in school. 3. the weather is generally cooler and not so humid. I go to Universal once to maybe twice a year and I always make sure I go in October for HHN. It is in my opinion the best time to go.

I hope this helps

January 17, 2016, 2:36 PM

For some reason when it starts to rain, people stand around and wait for it to stop. My wife and I rode Harry Potters Forbidden Journey 5 to 6 times with no wait while others were in the gift shops waiting on the weather to break. My advice, when rain is coming, be close to your favorite indoor ride and enjoy.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive