Coaster Enthusiasts vs General Public

January 17, 2016, 5:53 PM

I had a realization a few weeks ago. I think I officially joined the coaster enthusiast community. I had just gotten off of Nitro at Six Flags Great Adventure and I was complaining to my GP friend about how sluggish it was running due to the cold. He asked me why Kingda Ka was closed. I started to explain the hydrologic launch system. I realized that not only was this going over his head, only about 1% of guests would know was I was taking about.

Have you had a moment like that? Do none of your friends care when you talk about amusement parks? Do you have any funny GP stories?

Discuss

Replies (5)

January 18, 2016, 8:44 AM

This isn't exactly a coaster enthusiast thing, but I hate it when people get the name of rides wrong, some of them I don't mind like the harry potter ones as they have quite long names. But when people don't know, for example, when it's called big thunder mountain it's a bit annoying. When I went to disneyland once my grandad kept calling it the rocky mountaineer.

January 18, 2016, 10:24 AM

My GP friend didn't understand why people were angry Six flags parks are getting Larson Loopers.

Edited: January 19, 2016, 7:00 PM

Story #1
GP Friend: My favorite ride at Six Flags Magic Mountain is the one where you are indoors and it's all dark
Me: Uh, SFMM doesn't have any indoor rides.
GP Friend: Are you sure?
Me: Yeah. Are you thinking of Space Mountain at Disneyland?
GP Friend: Oh yeah, that's the one

Story #2 (This story is hard to believe but my friend was being 100% serious I swear to God)
GP Friend: I have never been to Six Flags Magic Mountain before.
Me: Dude, you have a pass to Magic Mountain. I went there with you. I saw you use your pass.
GP Friend: No I don't. I don't know what you're talking about. I have never been to SFMM, only Knott's.
Me: I rode Batman: The Ride with you. I am 100% sure you have been to SFMM and you have a pass there.
(10 minutes of arguing later)
GP Friend: Oh, so I do have a pass. OK then.

I'll post some more stories at a later time (aka tomorrow)

January 20, 2016, 12:58 PM

What if I don't want to discuss?

January 20, 2016, 1:31 PM

@disneyversal
Too bad.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive