Reign of Kong Opening Date

January 19, 2016, 12:26 PM

I am planning a trip to visit IOA/UO for the weekend of May 14th. Is there any chance that Skull Island: Reign of Kong will be open by that date? They have generally advertised for the Summer, so we may be cutting it close. Any thoughts/heresay?

Thanks!

Replies (21)

January 19, 2016, 2:17 PM

Probably not, no.

January 19, 2016, 2:32 PM

If they are saying summer, May is way too early. Probably July, maybe a soft opening in June

January 20, 2016, 6:22 AM

Dang! But what if I REALLY want it to be open, does that change anything??

Edited: January 20, 2016, 11:37 AM

Well I will be there 1st week of May and I will ask Universal to make sure there is a soft opening that week... Therefore I guess it will be open for you also..

Unlike Disney, Universal listens to their guest's request. (And here come the Disney Fan boys responding in 3,2,1)..
(All of the above is opinion only and cannot, should not and will not be disseminated in any way without the express written consent by me).

January 20, 2016, 12:54 PM

Well if you wish really hard, and if you are at just the right time and just the right place, you can jump over the construction fence, go to the operating booth and turn it on, only to fall to your doom because of the unfinished track.

Edited: January 20, 2016, 7:38 PM

Brian: We're arriving May 7th, so I'll just miss you. There's a couple of insiders saying that there's a possibility that softs might start sometime in May, probably mid to late, so maybe we'll get lucky.Even Woodward (UC)probably doesn't even know for sure yet. They've been testing the vehicles for a while now and operations are supposed to start training people sometime in February. We're going a second time in late September, so we'll catch the opening then if it doesn't materialize in May. I would expect they'll try to start softs far in advance of the late June target opening date so they can avoid the start up problems they had with Gringotts running at only half it's capacity at opening. So far there's been no systems problems, according to insiders. But, they haven't tested the lifts yet , so hopefully they'll work OK in tandem with the vehicles. Keep the fingers crossed.

January 21, 2016, 6:57 AM

What do the lifts do?

January 21, 2016, 7:17 AM

They simulate movements, effects etc. on the vehicle when it's in the the 360 degree screen area.

January 21, 2016, 7:19 AM

Great Rob... We will be leaving Florida on the 7th... hahaha - Probable pass you in the Airport. I will be the pudgy 40's white guy, look for me, I am sure you can pick me out easily... I am going to book the flights today...

May is such a great time to hit the parks...
Universal just came out with the buy two days, get 3rd day free promotion.. Have to buy tickets before April 15 or so and use them by May 31st..

It would be nice to have a soft opening early May... But I am sure we will miss it.. But still a boy can wish..
Here is an old saying I enjoy - You can wish in one hand and Crap in the other, see which one gets filled first...

January 21, 2016, 8:51 AM

Thats why you have to play it safe, and go to universal in sept/oct. Hulk will be up and running again, Kong will be open, and you have Halloween Horror nights to go to.

Edited: January 21, 2016, 5:09 PM

Brian: We always drive down. I can't stand flying since the 2001 restrictions and all the delayed fights anymore. They just came out with the Annual Pass on site hotel discounts, so I got some really good rates for a CBBR 4 nights poolside suite ( Try CBBR some time. Great hotel for the price)and then 6 nights at Portofino. The AP pays for itself with hotel discounts alone. It's Universal's best kept secret if you're staying for a long vacation. Right now I'm debating on hotels in the fall. Sapphire Falls has a free buffet breakfast for two for each night booked (min. of 4 nights). I might give that a try & combine it with 6 nights at Portofino. Sapphire's pool and restaurant/bar looks really cool.

January 22, 2016, 6:14 AM

I guess the best I can hope for is a soft opening. We'll be staying on site at the Royal Pacific, so maybe that will grant us extra opportunities at that time. The price of a night at a hotel was ridiculously cheaper in mid-May than basically any other time in late spring.

January 22, 2016, 7:30 AM

Thanks for the advice Nick and Rob..
We have to fly, we live in the Northeast and it is a 3 hour flight so no driving...

It's too bad we only get there Once a year...

Edited: January 22, 2016, 2:34 PM

January 22, 2016, 9:00 AM

It's funny because we were at IOA about 1 month before the opening of WWOHP.. There was an employee there only letting Universal workers enter through a door. All of the construction we complete at that time. I tried to give him $20 bucks to let us look around for a few minutes...
But alas, he declined.

January 22, 2016, 10:24 AM

Brian: You're making a habit of being at Universal pre soft opening. LOL

January 22, 2016, 11:43 AM

Wow cool Rob! Maybe I'll run into some trained employees at the hotel while I'm there :)

January 23, 2016, 8:29 AM

We will be there the end of May, first of June. We will go in and wake the beast if it isn't stirring. Always look forward to going. Hey Rob, can my family use your pass while we are there? We'll stay at any of them, we aren't picky...lol:)

January 23, 2016, 8:58 AM

Jon; LOL....Heh, you might be there early enough for the Jimmy Fallon Show. I'm guessing you'll have a better than 50/50 chance to catch Kong softs then. My GF couldn't get that week off so we had to go earlier in May where the soft chances aren't very high. But then we have the fall. Kong is looking to be one of the eeriest, scariest , most entertaining attractions ever. Hope you get lucky.

Edited: January 24, 2016, 3:44 PM

Rob, I hope we do get to see Kong. If not we will be back in the fall for HHN's and will hit it then along with the new and improved Hulk ride. It would be nice if that was open when we there this spring but I'm not holding my breath. That is one of my favorite rides and am looking forward to what B & M has in store for us with the new launch system and upgrades. Hope you guys are able to get in with a soft opening and can tell us all about it

Edited: January 26, 2016, 6:57 AM

Jon: Looks like we think alike when it comes to Universal vacations. Spring/Fall, can't beat it. They started installing the new Hulk track last week. Maybe we'll get lucky in May for at least one of the two (Kong/Hulk) One won't be half bad.It sounds like they've just run into a bit of a glitch on Kong. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though....Take care, my friend.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive