Disney Down Under?

February 7, 2016, 3:39 PM

After looking it up online, multiple sites are saying that Disney might put its next resort in Australia.This rumor has started up again sine early 2000s. Again, these are ONLY rumors and I can't see Disney building another resort until it fixes Epcot and Studios Park in Paris.

Links:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/disneyland-australia-theme-park_us_564d47cbe4b08c74b7345cff
http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news/national/new-billiondollar-theme-park-to-rival-dreamworld-to-be-built-by-chinese-developers/news-story/ec83e943b9fc3aae9c50d80689cc5850

Replies (17)

February 7, 2016, 3:50 PM

No. Australia isn't big enough of a market and no one would travel to Australia just for a Disney park.

February 7, 2016, 4:22 PM

No it is one hundred percent real just like the Texas park

Edited: February 8, 2016, 10:02 AM

Disney isn't going to build a new theme park resort for a long time. One in Texas could be possibility someday, but one in Australia is a no. It's too small population wise, and is far too isolated for Disney to build a successful theme park resort there. They have enough struggling parks around the globe already.

February 7, 2016, 8:53 PM

@disneyversal

You stole my Facebook pfp

February 7, 2016, 11:09 PM

first rule of the squidward dab, you don't talk about the squidward dab.

February 8, 2016, 5:50 AM

@Juan Hamilton
@disneyversal
Your profile pics are confusing me.

@Randy Keith
When Disney has a struggling park it has an attendance of 6-7 million.
Six Flags had its best attendance ever last year with 2.88 million people going to Magic Mountain.
I think Disney could do it. It's Disney not SeaWorld.

February 8, 2016, 10:15 AM

Disney parks cost much more to build and operate than Six Flags. Hong Kong Disneyland is struggling, and so is Walt Disney Studios Paris, Disney's smallest and least attend park worldwide. Those two parks need a lot of TLC to raise their attendance and more importantly their reputation. It looks like Disney hasn't made the same mistake with Shanghai as they did building those parks, but in my opinion it's better to fix existing parks than to build more. Hopefully after Shanghai Disney feels the same way.

February 8, 2016, 4:46 PM

As an Aussie, I would love to see this happen. But if I were a Disney Shareholder, I would be upset if the spent the money. Whilst Australia does experience tourism from China and Japan, they almost have 3 of their own Disney resorts, and Australia does not have the population to support a full-fledged Disney resort (and I don't believe Disney would invest in a watered down version). Our 3 most popular resorts attract 1.3 million guests each in 2007, which isn't enough for Disney.

Edited: February 8, 2016, 4:55 PM

I can't see WDC building a full fledged theme park resort in Australia, but I could see them building a hotel resort there, similar to Aulani. It does make sense as Australia's climate is suitable for a beach resort with multiple water slides. Honestly though, I see WDC building a full fledge theme park resort in Texas before Australia. There's huge demand in the U.S. for the Disney brand. The same can't be said for China.

February 11, 2016, 2:36 PM

No, they won't build another park until after the successful hostile takeover of Comcast.

February 11, 2016, 5:50 PM

Australia is somewhere I could potentially see a Disney resort someday, and it was originally considered for the 5th resort before Hong Kong was selected, but I highly doubt Disneyland Australia will happen anytime soon. Disney currently has 11 theme parks spread across five resorts (soon to be 12 across six resorts), but of those parks four are in need of serious help and another three could use some work. While Shanghai Disneyland does look like a really nice park, I think it would have been better for Disney to focus on their existing properties before building another new resort, especially given the lackluster performance of their previous two resorts. Given their currently announced projects and all the issues that have been encountered in Shanghai I get the feeling Disney is moving away from new resorts for a while. Once they do announce the seventh resort, I've got a feeling South America is a more likely candidate than Australia (and I highly doubt we'll see a third Disney resort in the US, especially in Texas...the demand just isn't there).

February 12, 2016, 8:52 AM

I hope Shanghai Disneyland succeeds, but something tells me China as a country is in deep trouble. This will hurt the park's future.

Edited: February 12, 2016, 11:51 AM

Not going to happen. Local population of about 23 million, add 4 million for New Zealand and we're up to 27 Million.

Disney do destination parks, not "Oh while we're there anyway" parks, so just sticking another park on the Gold Coast wont do it for them. For "destination" visitors you'd be looking at Japan and China which between them currently split three parks... so if they're going to go to a disney destination they're either going to go to a more local disney park, or go do the real thing in the US.

If I were Disney, and I absolutely positively had to have another resort, I'd be looking at India, or maybe as an outside shot Dubai (although that appears to be a bit of a Theme Park Graveyard....), but I'd tend to just stick with what I had for now, maybe focus on new gates at the existing parks to rejuvinate them.

February 21, 2016, 10:59 AM

I want another US resort. Why is Disney focusing on places that require long flights, foreign languages, and passports!

Edited: February 21, 2016, 1:01 PM

Dlrwdwkd - because there's almost 6 billion people who don't like in the USA, who have to share share the same number of parks as the 350 million people who do live in the USA. (Actually, until Shanghai opens the have 5 parks to your 6).

Travelling out of your own country is an enlightening and enriching experience, you should do it more often.

Edited: February 21, 2016, 5:55 PM

But opening resorts internationally has proven costly for the WDC as many of their international resorts are struggling. Disneyland Paris, Walt Disney Studios, and Hong Kong Disneyland are all financially struggling. So opening resorts overseas is actually a much riskier bet than opening more domestic resorts.

February 21, 2016, 6:42 PM

True. I was simply responding to the comment that seemed to imply that the only people who may attend international parks are Americans. As an Australian, and someone who has to have a passport, deal with another language and fly at least 11 hours to attend a Disney park (USS is only 8 hours) I find that attitude somewhat narrow-minded.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive