Riptide at Knott's is Closing Permanently

Edited: February 18, 2016, 12:33 PM

According to multiple sources, Riptide, Knott's Berry Farm's HUSS Top Spin, is in the process of being permanently removed. This is confirmed by the absence of Riptide on the Knott's Berry Farm website. Any thoughts on what could replace it or on the ride?

Replies (9)

February 17, 2016, 9:32 PM

Yes, Riptide is permanently closed and is currently being removed. The ride has reportedly only had around 25% uptime over the past few years and after the park spent several months fixing it only to have the ride go down after just a few weeks of operation they decided it was time to pull the plug. There will be no replacement for 2016, but a replacement flat ride of some sort is possible in 2017.

February 18, 2016, 7:28 AM

*Permanently* Misspelled in the title..

February 18, 2016, 9:38 AM

They should consider the location for a year round Haunt attraction to fit the boardwalk theme. The original Haunted Shack location will be the new stage to open in the summer so it cannot go there.

February 18, 2016, 12:32 PM

Sorry Brian my spelling is extremly bad.

February 18, 2016, 6:45 PM

Now this interest me. Considering how small Riptide's footprint is really makes me wonder what they could put in its place. Riptide only takes up about 12,000 sq ft of land; far too small to put in a coaster/ dark ride. The only thing I can see them replacing it with is more games, a sitting area, a restaurant, or a another flat ride. However, if they were to axe Boomerang and Riptide, than they could free up over an acre of land, which can allow them to create another coaster with a much higher capacity than Boomerang or another dark ride. I'm just hoping that they don't replace Riptide with another low budget family flat ride. If they're going to do a flat, I would reccomend a thrilling flat, because there's already too many family flats.

February 18, 2016, 10:57 PM

It's true--there isn't much space in the area that Riptide occupies.

Out of the three new rides that Knott's added in the Boardwalk when they replaced Perilous Plunge in 2013, I think Surfside Gliders was the most pleasant surprise. I'm not sure how many rides like this there are throughout the country, but if Knott's could find another ride like this (unusual and as fun for adults as for kids), it would be a pleasant addition to the area.

If they took out Boomerang as well, the nostalgic side of me would like to see the Corkscrew roller coaster come back. Unfortunately, it would probably have low ridership except for people who remember it as kids or teens or young adults during the 1970s and 1980s. (For those who don't remember it, it was actually the first modern inverting roller coaster in the world, and closed in 1989 to make way for Boomerang.)

February 21, 2016, 12:13 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Knotts were to add another flat ride as a replacement. After looking at a google earth satalite image of knotts Berry Farm and Cedar Point, I noticed that the footprint size for Maxair is only slightly larger than the footprint for Riptide. Since Cedar Fair is adding two similar rides to their parks in 2016, I could see Cedar Fair adding another one to Knotts. People would love the ride because it is thrilling and does give good views. Wouldn't it be something if they redid the landscaping so that it blended in with water and boardwalk. You could soar over the boardwalk.

February 21, 2016, 1:00 PM

@eonbroadway

I would love a HUSS Frisbee at Knott's, but the park already has a claw ride which is pretty similar to a Frisbee.

Edited: February 21, 2016, 9:27 PM

True. Forgot about that. Maybe another flat ride in the park would be relocated to Riptides spot to create more room elsewhere.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive