How to visit park injured

Edited: March 6, 2016, 11:21 PM

Just got a knee surgery and I'll probably be semi alright in 3 weeks. Anyone got any advice how to visit? Like a scooter or just go around on crutches?

Replies (7)

March 6, 2016, 9:27 PM

If you've got upper body strength like The Rock, go for the crutches. I'd get a chair, though, or just park myself in Animation Academy all day.

Heck, I sometimes do that and my knees are fine. :^)

March 7, 2016, 9:50 AM

If you haven't bought tickets or paid for your trip, you're better off postponing. The rides will feel even more intense after an injury. You'll be miserable. You'll have trouble getting in and out of vehicles. The rides will bump your legs and body constantly. The prescription medicine will make the noise and crowds even more intense. If the doctor said you'll recover in 3 weeks, the correct recovery time is double or triple the amount of time. You're better off going after you experienced full mobility in 3 months.

March 7, 2016, 9:55 AM

Rub some dirt on it, then take a lap....

As I tell my doctor, my knees only hurt when I breath.

I hope all works out for you....

March 7, 2016, 1:11 PM

Do you think it will be ok to visit a park like Universal Studios Hollywood in June? I made a mistake and my doctor says I'll recover in 3 months. I've seen people going around with a knee scooter thing before.

March 7, 2016, 4:03 PM

Obviously your doctor will be the best source of information, but for the most part a knee injury is likely to affect mobility more than whether you can ride rides. If you're fine in daily life at that point, you'll probably be okay visiting a theme park. However, I think the wait and see approach is probably best for now. When you do go, I'd definitely suggest taking it easy, and if you have difficultly walking long distances or standing for extended duration at that time you should get a wheelchair or similar.

March 7, 2016, 6:35 PM

Wait until September when the kids are at school and you can have the whole park to yourself. If the doctor says you'll recover in 3 months, you'll need 6 months to fully recover. You really want to use a knee scooter? This takes more energy than walking. Use an electric wheelchair or scooter.

Universal is a bad choice because almost every ride is bumpy, even the tram ride. Disneyland has calmer rides. You can easily ride Pirates and Small World without much stress.

March 8, 2016, 1:05 AM

@Anon Mouse, I'm one of those kids. I'll probably be in grad school then.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive