New Walt Disney museum to debut in San Francisco this fall
Written by Robert Niles
Published: April 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM
The Walt Disney Family Foundation this fall will open a new museum dedicated to Walt's life and work. But the museum won't be in one of the Disney company's theme parks - it will be in the Presidio complex in San Francisco.
From the press release [PDF}:
The stories of Disney’s life, creativity, family, and the processes and innovations he brought to his art will be told through a series of ten galleries. Highlights of the Museum will include:
• Drawings Disney made in his youth
• Drawings and cartoons from Laugh-O-gram Films, Disney’s first company
• Early drawings of Mickey Mouse
• Storyboards, a Disney innovation that mapped out timeless film classics
• The technically innovative Multiplane Camera that brought vibrancy and depth to his revolutionary feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
• The unique Snow White Academy Award®, which included a full-size Oscar® and seven miniature castings
• The narrow-gauge Lilly Belle train he built for his Hollywood home, which recalled his youth and helped spur his vision for Disneyland
• A model of the Disneyland of Walt’s imagination
Throughout the exhibits, visitors will find rare film clips, concept art, scripts, musical scores, and cameras that Disney and his staff used in creating his characters and films.
How much of this is redundant to Walt Disney: One Man's Dream at Disney's Hollywood Studios and its predecessor, the old Walt Disney Story at Disneyland, I don't know. Perhaps this museum just will manage to provide a home for this story and these exhibits outside of the parks, where they were under pressure constantly from new attractions, shops or whatever else the parks need to put in to keep the turnstiles moving and cash registers chirping.
There is also a page on the Disney website dedicated to the new museum, though without much information as of this morning.
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Previous article: Busch Gardens, SeaWorld auctioning VIP tours and more for wildlife charity
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Disney California Adventure
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Hollywood
SeaWorld San Diego
Busch Gardens Tampa
Other Top International Parks
Universal Studios Japan
Hong Kong Disneyland
Walt Disney Studios Paris
Universal Studios Singapore
Features, News and Advice
"Stories from a Theme Park Insider"
"Theme Park Insider: Orlando 2014"
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
The Theme Park Insider Awards
What's under construction for 2014/5?
How to stay safe at a theme park
2005 (Dec 27-31)
2005 (Jan-Dec 26)
Stories from a Theme Park Insider
Stories from a Theme Park Insider offers a warm and often-funny look at what it's like to work inside the world's most popular theme park. It's a great read for theme park fans!
Kindle | iBooks | Paperback