Readers pick their top tips for visiting theme parks this summer
Published: June 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM
If you've not visited our Tips page yet (or recently), that's where we vote on short items of advice that help you get more out of a visit to specific parks, or all parks in general. Anyone can submit a tip, or vote. You don't need to be a registered member of the site.
Tips are listed in order of popularity, with those receiving the highest net rating ("yes" votes minus "no" votes) at the top.
Here are the top tips in several categories...
Top tips applicable to all parks:
- Get to the park early to be sure you can get on your favorite rides before the park gets too crowded.
- Bring your own water bottles. It will save you time and money!
- Don't use lifts or other tricks to make your kids look taller than they are. Height and safety restrictions are there for a reason.
- Always work your way backwards through a park instead of stopping at the first attraction you get to. You will beat 60% of the crowds.
- If you're going to get an annual pass, add parking to at least one pass (if it isn't included already). It seems expensive at first, but at more than $10 a pop for parking at most parks, it pays off in the end.
- Call 407-WDW-DINE or visit http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/restaurants/ up to 90 days before your visit to make your dining reservations.
- [Epcot] As soon as the park opens, go either to get a fastpass for Soarin' or Test Track ASAP
- [Disney's Hollywood Studios] If you're on hand for park opening and want to ride Rock 'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror, make sure to get a FastPass for one of these before getting in line for the other.
- If you stay in one of Universal's three on-site hotels, the Royal Pacific, the Hard Rock or the Portofino Bay, you get free front-of-the-line access to all Universal Orlando attractions.
- You can make advance dining reservations for Universal restaurants and character meals, including the Theme Park Insider Award-winning Mythos, by calling 407-224-4012.
- [Universal Studios Florida] On Men in Black, aim for the light at the top of the car on the other side of the track when you are turned face-to-face with it, and do not forget to hit the red button on your dashboard when it flashes and you are told to hit it.
- If it is hot, or crowded, go sit in the Tiki Room... A great place to cool down and rest the feet.
- Riding the steam train to the Main Street station can be a great way to get out of the park when Main Street and the hub in front of the castle are packed during parades and fireworks.
- The best time to go to Disneyland is the week after Thanksgiving till the week before Christmas. It's themed for the holidays and has the lowest attendance!
We're always look for more tips, and more votes, so if you've got one better, click over and submit it!