The 2010 Best Theme Park Attraction tournament schedule
Here is the schedule for the 2010 Best Theme Park Attraction Tournament
. Match-ups are in two-hour windows, starting at the times indicated below. If you click the tournament link just above, you can download a PDF of the bracket (which included the start times), if you find it easier to see that way.
Times given are Eastern and Pacific. Everyone else has to do the math.
I've mixed up the four brackets, instead of doing one bracket per day. That was a coin flip - so I'll justify it after the fact by saying this helps emphasize the variety of the tournament. Really, though, I have no idea if that's going to be a good idea. If it isn't, then I'll change for the second round, which begins Wednesday, March 24.
It's GOTV (get out the vote) time, folks. Pick the match-ups where you really, really want to see a particular winner, and get out the vote for that time. Just send people to the Theme Park Insider home page. All match-ups will be posted here, to the Blog Flume.
It'll be fun, folks. I hope everyone's looking forward to it!
[Crosses fingers. Hopes for the best.]
*Update: We've extended the voting window to four hours, starting with Monday's match-ups. New times noted below.
Thursday, March 18
- 11am-1pm ET, 8am-10am PT - 5. SeaWorld Orlando's Sea Lions Tonight vs. 12. SeaWorld Orlando's Blue Horizons
- Noon-2pm ET, 9am-11am PT - 3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D vs. 14. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
- 1pm-3pm ET, 10am-Noon PT - 2. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. 15. Soarin' Over California at Disney's California Adventure
- 2pm-4pm ET, 11am-1pm PT - 1. Cedar Point's Millennium Force [Intamin Giga/Mega] vs. 16. Cedar Point's Raptor [Bolliger & Mabillard Inverted]
- 3pm-5pm ET, Noon-2pm PT - 7. Busch Gardens Tampa's Katonga vs. 10. Universal Studios Hollywood's Waterworld
- 4pm-6pm ET, 1pm-3pm PT - 6. Disneyland's Haunted Mansion vs. 11. Universal Studios Florida's Men in Black Alien Attack
- 7pm-9pm ET, 4pm-6pm PT - 4. Dollywood's Thunderhead [Great Coasters International] vs. 13. Dollywood's Mystery Mine [Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter]
- 8pm-10pm ET, 5pm-7pm PT - 8. Mystery Lodge at Knott's Berry Farm vs. 9. Epcot's Reflections of China
Friday, March 19
- 11am-1pm ET, 8am-10am PT - 5. Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean vs. 12. Kilimanjaro Safaris at Disney's Animal Kingdom
- Noon-2pm ET, 9am-11am PT - 3. Six Flags Great Adventure's El Toro [Intamin Wooden] vs. 14. Six Flags Magic Mountain's Goliath [Giovanola Mega]
- 1pm-3pm ET, 10am-Noon PT - 2. Epcot's Impressions de France vs. 15. Epcot's O Canada!
- 2pm-4pm ET, 11am-1pm PT - 1. Fantasmic! at Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. 16. Universal Studios Florida's Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue
- 3pm-5pm ET, Noon-2pm PT - 7. Disneyland's Indiana Jones Adventure vs. 10. Toy Story Midway Mania at Disney's California Adventure
- 4pm-6pm ET, 1pm-3pm PT - 6. MuppetVision 3D at Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. 11. Universal Studios Florida's Shrek 4-D
- 7pm-9pm ET, 4pm-6pm PT - 4. SeaWorld San Diego's Pets Rule vs. 13. Finding Nemo - The Musical at Disney's Animal Kingdom
- 8pm-10pm ET, 5pm-7pm PT - 8. Kings Island's The Beast [Charlie Dinn Wooden] vs. 9. Cedar Point's Maverick [Intamin AG Custom]
Monday, March 22*
- 10am-2pm ET, 7am-11am PT - 5. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream at Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. 12. Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room
- 11am-3pm ET, 8am-Noon PT - 3. Festival of the Lion King at Disney's Animal Kingdom vs. 14. SeaWorld Orlando's Believe
- Noon-4pm ET, 9am-1pm PT - 2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Apollo's Chariot [Bolliger & Mabillard Mega Coaster] vs. 15. SeaWorld Orlando's Kraken [Bolliger & Mabillard Floorless]
- 1pm-5pm ET, 10am-2pm PT - 1. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man at Universal's Islands of Adventure vs. 16. SeaWorld Orlando's Journey to Atlantis
- 2pm-6pm ET, 11am-3pm PT - 7. It's Tough to be a Bug! at Disney's Animal Kingdom vs. 10. Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
- 3pm-7pm ET, Noon-4pm PT - 6. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Griffon [Bolliger & Mabillard Dive] vs. 11. SeaWorld Orlando's Manta [Bolliger & Mabillard Flying]
- 5pm-9pm ET, 2pm-6pm PT - 4. Expedition Everest at Disney's Animal Kingdom vs. 13. Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Curse of DarKastle
- 6pm-10pm ET, 3pm-7pm PT - 8. SeaWorld San Diego's Cirque de la Mer vs. 9. SeaWorld Orlando's Clyde and Seamore Take Pirate Island
Tuesday, March 23*
- 10am-2pm ET, 7am-11am PT - 5. Holiday World's The Voyage [The Gravity Group] vs. 12. Cedar Point's Top Thrill Dragster [Intamin AG Accelerator]
- 11am-3pm ET, 8am-Noon PT - 3. Universal Studios Florida's Revenge of the Mummy vs. 14. Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges at Universal's Islands of Adventure
- Noon-4pm ET, 9am-1pm PT - 2. Aladdin at Disney's California Adventure vs. 15. Lights! Motors! Action! at Disney's Hollywood Studios
- 1pm-5pm ET, 10am-2pm PT - 1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom vs. 16. Epcot's Circle of Life
- 2pm-6pm ET, 11am-3pm PT - 7. Incredible Hulk Coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure [Bolliger & Mabillard Sitting (Launch)] vs. 10. Six Flags Magic Mountain's X2 [Arrow 4D]
- 3pm-7pm ET, Noon-4pm PT - 6. Dollywood's Sha-Kon-O-Hey vs. 11. Universal Studios Florida's Universal Horror Make-up Show
- 5pm-9pm ET, 2pm-6pm PT - 4. Epcot's American Adventure vs. 13. Hall of Presidents at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
- 6pm-10pm ET, 3pm-7pm PT - 8. Splash Mountain at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom vs. 9. Disneyland's Space Mountain
Do we get to pick the top 4 for a chance to win something like last year?
Good, it looks like there are a number of match-ups where I have experienced both attractions. At least for the first round I'll have a number of opportunities to make an informed vote. I won't vote if I haven't experienced both.
I'm not running the contest this year, but folks are welcomed, and encouraged, to make their picks here for the right to lord it over everyone else for the next year if they're right.
the person who picks the final four will win a trip for 2 to the grand opening of the wizarding world of harry potter, and get to ride the new forbidden journey ride first with maggie smith. the winner will also recieve accomodations in the lock out portion of maggie smith's suite, along with a signed photo of maggie smith and her king charles spaniel "otto."
what about the ones of us in school or at work? we won't be able to vote on some of the polls. why not make them all run twelve hours (like 12 to 12 or 6 to 6 or something like)? or 24 hours? I find this very unfair for some of us because that doesn't let some participate. but thanks for setting up a fun tournament again.
Can the winner have the right to Luis' signature quote, "Word to your mother!"?
Some of my favorites are up against each other...thanks a lot, Robert. Plenty of tough choices.
Sounds fantastic and can't wait to see all the results!! Alas, unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to vote this year as most of the times are in the middle of the night here down under in Australia (or in Europe or Asia also). Perhaps for next year, the 24-hour votes could make a comeback? :) Looking forward to seeing this nail-biting competition!!!
Each vote will have its own thread this year, which should cut down on the cross-talk. Also, I'll be holding a tighter leash on the anonymous comments. Positive and/or analytical comments will get through. Dupes of previous sentiments and personal attacks won't.
Tower of Terror Disney's Hollywood Studios vs. Amazing Spider Man would be a fantastic match up if that were to happen.
I like the setup and interested to see how many people continue to visit the site continually throughout the day to vote.
Robert, I can't vote for the attractions that I'm most interested in. I will be at work during those times, and can't access the internet. I love the idea, but the short time periods is a problem. Can we possibly send you our votes privately and have them entered at TPI Central? I'm disappointed, and frankly a little bit miffed. I'll get over it, but still feel like many of us are being excluded due to jobs, school, etc.
I agree, Robert. Although the short windows allow for truer voting, many are stuck at work, school, or bed during those times.
I have to echo the thoughts of others...the 2 hour window to vote for attractions seems like a poor decision. In order to vote in all of the match-ups, I'll have to log on about what, 4-5 times a day? It's just incredibly inconvenient for many of us, especially since I'm assuming many of us here work full time. How many of the loyal members will even remember to do that? Sure, I can get on the site during work but I'm technically breaking company policy to do so. And to go on so many times in one day? I'm sorry but to only have a poll open for such a limited time, you're not giving a fair chance to all the site's members to vote.I know you made the argument before that the March Madness games happen at a certain time but we certainly can't change the outcome of a game by watching whereas the ability to participate in voting here greatly affects the outcome.
So, who IS running the tournament, Robert?
I also won't be able to partake in much voting. I'll be gone all day today & tomorrow, then working all weekend at a job with no internet access. It's a disappointment, but oh well. Can't win 'em all. I'm excited to see how the tournament plays out this year, as it's what brought me to this site last year!
there needs to be a write in section. there are a few shows that did not make it but had the same rank. like at BGT katonga made it with a rank of 8 and critter castaways was also an 8. we need to have a write in section.
As much as the Voyage deserves to at least be in the finals, I don't think it will make it past Millennium Force. There are still a lot of people who haven't ridden it, and an army of Cedar Point fans who will show up to vote for Millennium Force, although there are also some who will vote against Cedar Point for various reasons as well. Some pretty good rides will be out early. The Kraken/Apollo's Chariot is a tough one, as is The Beast/Maverick.
Why are there only 2 hour time slots? I'm at school most of the day where TPI is blocked, this is a disappointment as many of my favorite rides were to be voted on during the day.
Sorry, James, but I DO NOT have access via my phone to vote during work. I am there to work, not to vote on-line. I cannot access the site while at work on my employer's computer without getting written-up and possibly terminated. Robert is running the tournament, and I have not made any rude or inappropriate comments about him or how he is running the voting. I have expressed my displeasure with how it is set-up - that is all. I think it might be interesting to hear how many people would have voted if they could have voted in absentia, or if the voting times were longer. And I am watching the results- as an uninvolved bystander.
I did say "most everyone" and not "all", James. But as far as I understand, only the first round has the two hour window. And most (not all) of those contests are no-brainers.
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.