Avoid the top theme park travel mistakes and faux pas
Written by Robert Niles
Published: October 3, 2013 at 5:26 PM
In the spirit of helping you get the most enjoyment from your theme park vacation with the least amount of embarrassment, here are some of the top mistakes and faux pas
made by theme park visitors.
Drawing Goofy is okay. Being Goofy, not so much.
Don't be "that guy." This is your "not to do" list for your next (and every) theme park visit.
- Buying your "tickets" on Craiglist or eBay.
- Bringing wrapped presents to a theme park for a party. (You won't get them past the bag check.)
- Leaning on, grabbing, or pushing characters at a meet-and-greet.
- Sending someone ahead to get in line so the rest of your group can cut to join him.
- Yelling "Andy's coming!" at any point during your visit to a Disney theme park.
- Making a crying child go on a ride.
- Sitting in the "splash zone," then complaining when you get wet.
- Using shoe lifts or other tricks so that your too-short child looks tall enough to ride.
- Insisting that the Tom Sawyer Island rafts run on guide rails.
- Not turning off the flash when taking photos inside indoor attractions.
- Sitting at restaurant tables without food while diners are looking for a place to sit.
- Tipping at the Tokyo Disney Resort (or anywhere in Japan).
- Asking a Disney cast member where the Harry Potter ride is.
- Standing during a parade or fireworks when people behind you are sitting.
- Placing a child on your shoulders when others have been waiting behind you for the show.
Got another to add to the list? Please submit it in the comments!
This article has been archived and is no longer accepting comments.
Previous article: The Disney/Obamacare story, and what's really driving employment in the theme park business
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Universal's Islands of Adventure
Disney California Adventure
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Hollywood
SeaWorld San Diego
Busch Gardens Tampa
Other Top International Parks
Universal Studios Japan
Hong Kong Disneyland
Walt Disney Studios Paris
Universal Studios Singapore
Features, News and Advice
"Stories from a Theme Park Insider"
"Theme Park Insider: Orlando 2014"
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
The Theme Park Insider Awards
What's under construction for 2014/5?
How to stay safe at a theme park
2005 (Dec 27-31)
2005 (Jan-Dec 26)
Stories from a Theme Park Insider
Stories from a Theme Park Insider offers a warm and often-funny look at what it's like to work inside the world's most popular theme park. It's a great read for theme park fans!
Kindle | iBooks | Paperback