Derek Potter

Published: September 23, 2009 at 3:39 AM

First headline in the Orlando Sentinel this morning...the old no comment from Sea World
94.245.127.13

Published: September 23, 2009 at 4:21 AM

Crew meeting seems to be at 8 am.
65.174.53.133

Published: September 23, 2009 at 5:14 AM

The news this morning said the announcement was to be made at 8 AM but I haven't seen anything posted yet.
97.100.71.129

Published: September 23, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Seaworld orlando is reporting to me they in the call centers have not heard anything but have heard employees talking about hearing about it, and they are guessing there is going to be a big meeting this morning, I will continue talking to them throughout the day will post any information i find out!
TH Creative

Published: September 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM

News 13 broke the story. Blackstone is buying Sea World, Aquatica and Discovery Cove. As I am typing this a news helicopter is flying above ore job site trailer which sits in the lot right next store to Aquatica.
68.205.98.152

Published: September 23, 2009 at 5:31 AM

Well since there is nothing to say regarding this, I just want to say, I am going to Halloween Horror Nights on Friday! And today is my birthday! Yay me!
151.145.238.93

Published: September 23, 2009 at 6:06 AM

big meeting is over at seaworld and nothing was said to the people that work there about the sale, Looks like it was all just over romers at this time. Things may change as the day goes on
166.137.7.166

Published: September 23, 2009 at 6:10 AM

According to all news sources (including news 13) SeaWorld owners have no comment on the possible sale. Nothing has been confirmed!
David Graham

Published: September 23, 2009 at 6:55 AM

News 13 started running reports about the sell, and on the web site the story quotes are own Mr. Niles.

Also TH if it's the trailers between Aqu. and 528, what are they for or company? Always wondered.

94.245.127.14

Published: September 23, 2009 at 7:21 AM

I cannot image that insiders are incorrect on the closed deal between AB Inbev and Blackstone. Especially because they were communicating it so loud, clear and confident. They day still is long... Please Robert, can you elaborate?
66.161.59.254

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:02 AM

So you do a full staff meeting and don't announce anything and then later that day you drop the bomb? Not likely. If it does happen, will show just how out of the loop the Busch people are.
Corbin Barker

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:04 AM

Ok...so if this sale does go through, what does this mean for Seaworld and the other parks? Would the park be expanded and improved on or would it just be used to get money until it grows old and they'll just sell it to somebody else?
David Sutter

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:33 AM

Lets see Bush Entertainment sold its theme parks to Blackstone, Balckstone owns Merlin Entertainment...
Which owns wet and Wild Water Park...Universal Studios
And its been a common practice all cast memebrs of all three can visit the other with IDS...Was that
way for years...So heres my guess...AB Inbev, sells to
Blackstone (which has very deep Pockets). Busch Entertainment Runs and Manages the parks..and down the line Busch buys it all back..Thus the Busch Family Retains control of them...Everyone must remeber that theres a lot of grant moneys in Busch for animal rescue and such..so We all need to think outside the box...
Justin Trinh

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Just to correct something, Merlin Entertainment does not owned Wet-n-Wild and Universal. Blackstone Group owns Merlin Entertainment and Blackstone separately owns 50% of Universal.
David Sutter

Published: September 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Opps My mistake...but they are related...sorry
173.65.110.105

Published: September 23, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Merlin's marine mammal policy is incompatible with keeping whales and dolphins in captivity. Check the merlin website.
74.99.95.164

Published: September 23, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Just so you know, the hashtag on Twitter for the Busch Entertainment Company sale is #BECsale.
Gareth H

Published: September 23, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Sorry, I don't mean it Robert, but you invited it.

"You're an idiot"

Again, I don't mean it, nor believe, just got the flu and fancied a laugh:):):).

It was on the midday news today that there is no announcement, just bloggers speculating, so will watch the 5pm news and see if anything else is mentioned!

99.13.63.239

Published: September 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Someone please post on here as soon as they hear anything. I currently work at SWSD and would really like to know what's going down. Nobody here is talking. Should I quit my job once the sale goes through or does anyone thingk it'd be worth staying?
71.136.226.197

Published: September 23, 2009 at 4:56 PM

I also work at SWSD and some people are saying its a done deal while others havent heard anything at all about Blackstone.
Jason Jackson

Published: September 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM

And for what it is worth, Busch has regular open employee meetings every few weeks at all the parks, so in reality this "meeting" was just a regular scheduled all invited meeting that a lot of people speculated on. It is interesting that the Merlin policy on marine animals would not allow Sea World to operate its shows if Busch was under the Merlin umbrella. Let's throw something else out there...let's suppose Blackstone buys Busch and put's Merlin under the Busch Entertainment umbrella. Busch has some of the best run parks in the business...
67.162.165.115

Published: September 23, 2009 at 6:52 PM

It's my opinion that somebody called the news media and said there is a team member meeting scheduled for 8 a.m. today, thus starting the rumor of a sale. I work at Sea World here in Orlando, and the meeting was about benefits and new information about Halloween and Christmas......that's it. SWSD team members, stay put, right now it's a rumor.
71.136.226.197

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Jason I dont know where you get your information but it is wrong.We dont have regularly scheduled meetings.We have them about twice a year.And until you work for a company you dont know how its run.

Published: September 23, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Ummm... a meeting that happens every six months would be regularly scheduled, wouldn't it? Not frequent, by most standards, but certainly regular.
71.136.226.197

Published: September 23, 2009 at 9:00 PM

I said ABOUT twice a year.It depends on whats new or the economy.Sometimes more sometimes less.Certainly not every few weeks.
99.13.63.239

Published: September 23, 2009 at 10:29 PM

ABOUT is the keyword. In the past three years, SWSD has had maybe 2. During the InBev purchase only salaried team members got to hear all the sale news.
72.197.175.60

Published: September 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Ok folks, take a breath. Buying a multi-BILLION dollar company does not happen over night. It takes a while. Although this "secret" has been well kept, many people are very insistant that the process is under way. It makes sence that the announcement will be without warning if the rumor related to the IPO is true. The slow leaks of interest help build anticipation and test the financial waters. If an IPO goes out and no one knew there was a financial opportunity, no funds will be raised.
As for the SWSD employee questioning leaving your job... I too work for SWSD. You will be in a better situation upon this purchase. We can only hope we find this new company to be as good as AB! Here's to a great new chapter for us all. BELIEVE!
Jason Jackson

Published: September 24, 2009 at 8:12 AM

I am only familiar with what goes on at Busch Gardens Williamsburg where they have these communication meetings about every 4 to 5 weeks according to a friend of mine who works there. I was just assuming that the other parks did the same thing. Sorry if I offended the Sea World folks.
64.207.61.230

Published: September 24, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Busch Gardens and Seaworld are competitors to Universal Orlando. Universal would not want to own them. That would be cannibalistic not synergistic. Blackstone has a non-compete with Universal inside the state of Florida. My guess is Universal only waives that non-compete for a large sum of money. This deal while attractive for Blackstone is impractical without major concessions from Universal or Blackstone exiting that investment.