W McDougal

Published: October 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Cafe Orleans is the best meal at DL, and the pommes frites are a must-order every time (the dipping sauce is excellent as well). It doesn't have the atmosphere of the Blue Bayou, but it makes up for it in great food at a reasonable price. And the atmosphere of the Blue Bayou only really kicks in if you're near the water.
Ben James

Published: October 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Robert,

Could you do a review of Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen from Disneyland's Downtown Disney? When I was there in March 2008 I ate there and fell in love with it.

Ben

Published: October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

I haven't eaten at Brennan's in a couple years, but was going (somewhat) frequently in the early years after it opened. It was a favorite of mine, too. You're right - I need to go back and eat there again soon.

Published: October 26, 2009 at 3:18 PM

Robert - Cafe Orleans was a well kept secret until now! It is the best place at DLR to get a Monte Cristo - just as tasty, quicker, and cheaper!

Although, you do lose something as far as atmosphere is concerned. Hard to beat sitting in the Blue Bayou watching the POTC boats drift by...

PS Glad you had a fun birthday at Disneyland. I think I got to go to Worlds of Fun on mine. Wow. No wonder I am depressed all the time.

Steven Lee

Published: October 26, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Wow, I think I'm going to go eat some food now. Wish it was as good as the pictures above look! ;)
Ted Heumann

Published: October 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM

I agree the food there is VERY good, but the wait is usually a long one.
I'm surprised at the resonable prices comment above, I thought it was very expensive.
Those garlic fries are REALLY good! (in fact the first time I went there, I got SERIOUS sticker shock and all I could afford was the fries). On a side note, why doesn't Disneyland clearly post the prices at restaurants like this?!?
I'm glad that in the last few years Disneyland's food quality has gotten MUCH, MUCH better. I don't feel as bad at paying the exoribant prices. Back in the late 80's the food was HORRIBLE and mostly unedible.
I went recently to the quick service window at the Jazz Kitchen and the food was very good and was a little bit cheaper (although they have a VERY limited menu) I especially like the donut things that they have, benyays (something like that).
Beth Olliges

Published: October 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM

My boyfriend and I discovered Cafe Orleans on our second trip to Disneyland, in 2007. We shared both versions of the Monte Cristo, and loved them so much, we're already planning to indulge again when we visit DL this December! (So the fat & calories are off the scale... vacations are about having fun and indulging, right?) My mouth is already watering...
76.172.237.107

Published: October 26, 2009 at 11:08 PM

Cafe O is one of our favorite restaurants at Disneyland. The salmon salad is one of my favorite dishes (right after the Monte Cristo) and in my experience the amount of dressing was just right. I like more dressing than average, but I wouldn't say it was ever drowned in dressing. So I hope your experience was just a fluke. Pomme Frites make the meal, but the Monte Cristo is just so filling adding them feels like a waste. A delicious waste.
Joshua Counsil

Published: October 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM

You're killing me, Robert. I'm starving but can't eat for another 2 hours.