Published: December 29, 2009 at 6:53 PMPlenty of good stuff happened in 2009, with my favorite announcement being the expansion at the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland. However, I did my best (I use the term loosely) writing in the "Should theme parks build kids' lands?" thread where Robert so aptly likened the kiddie sections at most park chains to theme park ghettos. Ha! That was awesome!
But I digress...
Looking into my Crystal Ball for 2010, I present my personal top ten theme park related events of the year:
1) Riding a refurbed Space Mountain at Mk, visiting the Sum of All Thrills at Epcot, and dancing a jig with the Yeti in May.
2) Reading about Potter Land at IOA. Sadly, I do not have an IOA visit scheduled for 2010 as the RRR fiasco in 2009 has me worried about when the main attraction in Potter Land will actually be operating (I'll hit Universal in May 2011 if I am still alive).
3) Riding Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion when I visit my old Virginia stomping grounds in August.
4) Riding Tom & Huck's River Blast at Silver Dollar City several times over the course of the summer as I make my now routine visits to SDC.
5) Partaking in my first visit to Wild Adventures since Herschend took over in late 2007 (I love Herschend). While I don't expect much, it will be nice to ride Celebration City's Jack Rabbit at WA once the coaster move is complete in 2010.
6) Visiting Adventure Mountain at Dollywood on my return trip from Orlando.
7) Seeing what happens at Worlds of Fun, if anything, now that new ownership is in place.
8) Reading about Wildebeast at Holiday World, the worlds longest water coaster (maybe a 2011 visit is in the works?).
9) Monitoring the continued progress at DCA.
10) Reading TPI daily.
Plus there is expansion at Adventureland (Altoona, IA) to report, continued progress on Schiltterbahn's Vacation Village (Kansas) to witness, and another year of the Six Flags Bankruptcy Soap Opera to be enjoyed.
Sure, looking back at 2009 is a blast, but looking forward to 2010 is even better!
Published: December 29, 2009 at 2:58 PMI thought the crash article and discussion was insightful and interesting. None of my stories made it on the list :( JK, I know that not everybody goes to SFGA on the site (like a handful).
My plans for theme parks:
My family has decided to try Disneyland and the California parks on for size this year.
No worries WDW, we will be visiting our new favorite event, EPCOT's Food and Wine Festival
SFGA (had to bring it up) will be visited by me and I am hoping this year, we can perhaps make TPI teams at our local SF parks for Walk in the Parks event. More details coming soon (like in four months!)
Published: December 29, 2009 at 3:32 PMMy 12-year-old daughter duped the otter photo and uses it as the desktop image on her laptop. She also has a print-out on the wall of her room. (She's named the otters Saltwater, Seaweed, Pipsqueak and Whiskers.) So, uh, yeah, some people really liked the otters. (It did get linked to from several sites that do nothing but link to cute animal photos, which explains the traffic surge.)