TH Creative

Published: January 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Somewhere in Missouri, someone (had BETTER be) standing and applauding.

Published: January 12, 2010 at 3:34 PM

Do want to note that Disney's running the same commercial, with a tweaked script, in California in support of the 2fer deal at Disneyland Resort, and some folks don't like the dupe. Thoughts?
Paul Jeffs

Published: January 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM

I like the idea behind it, but I hope it's just the first of a series featuring different attractions. Imagine ones featuring Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Test Track etc.
Nick Markham

Published: January 12, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I loved it! It made me laugh quite a bit at some parts. I don't see anything wrong with it at all!

Published: January 12, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I don't know about the rest of the Missouri folks, but this one wishes the actual attraction looked even half as good as this video! Should Disney be sued for false advertising? =)
Diane Graebner

Published: January 12, 2010 at 4:55 PM

I nearly caffeinated the Tivo the first time I saw it! It made me LOL out loud! I really do think that Disney has a terrific advertising agency when it comes to their park/resort ads. I haven't been too impressed with their radio spots as a whole, and their casting ads left a lot to be desired, but their resort/ticket/park TV spots have been terrific.
TH Creative

Published: January 12, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Memo to Mr. Jeffs: With the exception of Pirates, that's a great idea.

Memo to Rao: SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!

Published: January 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM

:-D

Published: January 12, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Now the rest of the world knows how it feels to be a cast member, stuck in the Jungle rotation for four hours-plus, when the hallucinations kick in....

"We were somewhere around Schweitzer Falls on the edge of the Jungle when the hours of spieling began to take effect. I remember saying something to a guest like 'I feel a bit lightheaded; maybe you should drive...' And suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us and the sky was full of what looked like huge Tinkerbells, all swooping and screeching and diving around the boat, which was going about five miles an hour with the throttle down, on the way back to the dock. And a voice was screaming, 'Holy Walt! What are these talking animals?'"

66.177.50.196

Published: January 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

Being surround by Disney World stuff all day long, it is rare that I get excited about Disney commercials. I love this new Florida Resident commercial. It is really creative!
Anthony Murphy

Published: January 12, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I am bias but....

RAO EAT UR HEART OUT LOL

Go TH!

Joshua Counsil

Published: January 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I hate to kill the buzz, but this was a big "meh". With that in mind, after seeing it multiple times I would probably hate it. Decent concept, good production, but the jokes could have been much better.

I watched Enchanted last night, and it was a pretty good example of self-referential humor. This commercial could definitely take a note from that movie. I do, however, like Paul's idea for a series of these if they can pull it off properly.

Mark Kausch

Published: January 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Somehow, the Disneyland commercial sounds soooo much better than the MK one. Wassupwitdat?

I like Mr Jeff's idea, too. Unless they do one a year, though, I can't see it happening.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 4:10 AM

My heart? Ewwwww... that's gross!

Hey, I would eat my heart out for an attraction that was representative of this commercial. Sadly, there is nothing of the sort featured at the Magic Kingdom. Instead we get a snooze inducing boat-on-a-rail adventure, dilapidated animatronics, and groan worthy jokes.

Still, I like the commercial. At least WDW's ad agency knows how to make a good safari boat attraction!

TH Creative

Published: January 13, 2010 at 4:54 AM

The boats are not on a rail.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 5:15 AM

Disneyworld's boats run in a concrete trough, Disneyland's have a guide rail. Trough, track, or rail, what's the difference? Now you are just being grouchy.

Just remember, Toucan do much better than one can.

Like the commercial, though. <3

TH Creative

Published: January 13, 2010 at 6:39 AM

From a larger perspective the commercial -- along with last year's release of Weird Al Yankovic's "Skipper Dan" -- solidifies the pop iconographic status of the attraction. Although the ad is aimed at Florida residents, it is an affirmation that the Jungle Cruise is not only one of the Walt Disney Company's signature theme park attractions, but it is so popular as to be recognizable -- and thus suitable fodder for an ad campaign.

They could have done Pirates or Haunted Mansion ... but they picked the Jungle Cruise.

Sweet.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 7:20 AM

And the kiddies love talking animals.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 7:25 AM

Pirates: $1 billion-plus global box office, plus fourth movie soon.

Jungle: A TV commercial and Weird Al video.

'Nuff said. ;-)

TH Creative

Published: January 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

Actually, Mr. Niles, the correct assessment would have been A pirate movie + Depp = $1 billion-plus global.

The fact that Depp was added to the attraction makes it all-too-clear where the rocket fuel for that franchise came from.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Correction:
$1,038,147,461 domestic
$2,681,667,528 global.

But how can you do a commercial about Pirates when all they say is "Arrrrrrr!"

Published: January 13, 2010 at 9:23 AM

FYI - The above totals are for all three Pirates blockbusters combined.
TH Creative

Published: January 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I heard the global receipts were actually only $2,681,667,527.

Published: January 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM

How can you be so sure of something and be so ------- wrong?!

On the other hand, Pirates never won three Piston Cups like Doc Hudson.

"He did WHAT in his cup?"

Sylvain Comeau

Published: January 13, 2010 at 11:41 AM

What debate? That's a great commercial! Fast and funny.