I think it has the most effects too!
But allow me to play Devil's Advocate: It's not exactly fresh, is it? Mickey's PhilhaMargic provides a nice overview of Disney's roster of characters, in a fun review, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's a greatest hits package.
Shouldn't the "best" movie or animated show by one that did something fresh or outstanding - not just a greatest hits piece?
As much as I enjoy Mickey's PhilharMagic and would like to see it find a place out here in California, too, I can't buy it as the best in this bracket. I don't think it should surprise anyone that I'm pulling for this bracket to come down to a match-up between Impressions de France (which I've argued is the best theme park movie) and Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room (which I've argued is the best animated show).
Of course, that's just my opinion. Obviously, many others value Mickey's PhilharMagic over those shows. But I wanted to make my case here, too.
The whole bracket's published now, so you can see the match-ups and how they might play out. So let's hear how you hope it plays out.
There is very little original content in this production. It's sentimental, sappy, and completely Disney-fied in the wrong way. Frankly, the animation really isn't all that impressive - the movie characters feel cheap, not at all like they looked in their respective films. The screen is enormous, the theater is very comfortable, and some of the effects are great, but it's lacking any real punch. It's pure formula, which is why so many Disney fanboys love it and consider it "classic". I think Terminator 2: 3D, One Man's Dream, It's Tough to be a Bug, and various other attractions on this list are much more deserving for the lead seed.
Regardless, the film is very enjoyable, namely because of the wise choice of Donald as the lead, so it gets an 8-Commendable on my list.
Quarterfinals1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom2. Epcot's Impressions de France3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D4. Epcot's American Adventure6. MuppetVision 3D at Disney's Hollywood Studios8. Mystery Lodge at Knott's Berry Farm10. Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom12. Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room
Semifinals1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D6. MuppetVision 3D at Disney's Hollywood Studios10. Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Finals3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D10. Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Winner3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D
Do I consider it a number one seed. Nope, but I do consider it a highly ranked attraction. I consider "It's Tough to be a Bug" far more ambitious, immersive and comlpete as far as these types of attractions go.
I'm far more shocked that "Impressions De France" ranks so high to be honest. What's so new and innovative about an expanded movie screen showing sweeping panoramic views of landscapes and architecture set to classical music. If anything plays like a greatest hits it's this turkey, showing off all of the obligatory sights to behold in France, and then ending with a uninspired, "boy I didn't see that coming", slooowwwwww crawl up the Eiffel Tower elevator. Naaa, no thanks, I'm going back to the Lagoon to have another Grand Marnier Slushie bar keep. I'm just saying :)
While I can always be seen running to this attraction, you can not beat Carosel of Progress or the Tiki Room!
Anyway, this is my favorite theme park 3D/4D movie. The 3D effects aren't too cheesy-in-your-face, the in-theater effects are pretty entertaining, the massive screens are impressive, and the movie is fun, highlighting some of the best Disney songs. Sure it can go stale after a few viewings, but that is the limitation of all of these 3D/4D movies. It is the best of the bunch. I don't think it will the show faceoff, much less the overall win, but it is no doubt the best 3D/4D theme park show out there.
I agree that the content isn't all that original but I think that the fact that the show ranks so high for so many is a credit to it despite the classic content. This category is one of my favorites. Considering the big parks, I can't think of a single instance of this ride type that I don't enjoy. But Philharmagic sucked me in the first time I saw it and has not let go. It's just so smooth and seamless. And I am no where near a Disney fan-boy as someone pointed out. It's not the most thrilling, cutting edge attraction on the planet but it delivers.
We don't live anywhere near WDW. So, we don't get to go there as often as you folks. We have been to WDW 7 times over the past 8 years. We usually spend at least 5 days on site every time we visit. I think that that makes a difference in our perception of WDW. It always seems fresh when we visit and we can't hit everything every time. I think that if we lived closer and had season tickets the whole experience might get kind of stale.
We are huge Disney fans and we occasionally debate the pro's and con's of living close and being able to visit on a weekly/monthly basis. I think that we have decided that it is better to live where we do and visit occasionally. Someone once said that familiarity breeds contempt. I think that may be true based on what I've read. Contempt is too strong of a word but I'm open to a lesser one.
1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom16. Epcot's Circle of Life
8. Mystery Lodge at Knott's Berry Farm9. Epcot's Reflections of China
4. Epcot's American Adventure13. Hall of Presidents at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
5. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream at Disney's Hollywood Studios12. Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room
2. Epcot's Impressions de France15. Epcot's O Canada!
7. It's Tough to be a Bug! at Disney's Animal Kingdom10. Carousel of Progress at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D14. Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
6. MuppetVision 3D at Disney's Hollywood Studios11. Universal Studios Florida's Shrek 4-D
1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom9. Epcot's Reflections of China
4. Epcot's American Adventure5. Walt Disney: One Man's Dream at Disney's Hollywood Studios
2. Epcot's Impressions de France7. It's Tough to be a Bug! at Disney's Animal Kingdom
3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D6. MuppetVision 3D at Disney's Hollywood Studios
1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom4. Epcot's American Adventure
7. It's Tough to be a Bug! at Disney's Animal Kingdom3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D
1. Mickey's PhilharMagic at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D
Winner: 3. Universal Studios Hollywood's Terminator 2: 3D