From Ty Mullins on August 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM
I've always loved the idea of sending guests into a haunted house solo, but have realized that it wouldn't be plausible due to capacity issues. However, with an upcharge, it's possible, and I wouldn't call it unfair or anything. However, the price tag attached- enough to buy multiple souvenirs or dinner for several- is a tad high. I'd pay ten, maybe fifteen, but beyond that would be too pricey.
From Rod Whitenack on August 20, 2010 at 9:44 PM
That "Alone" idea is kind of revolutionary. I'll be interested in seeing what the experience is like as well as following the story to see if it is financially successful and viable. It sounds like a great concept for an extreme fear junkie. The price point sounds right to me. If it were less, sure, a lot more people would bite, but then the wait and put through would be impossible. This is a high price paid for a unique, individual experience.
From Domenik Jost on August 20, 2010 at 10:28 PM
@Ty If you make it through 'Alone' alive you win a T-Shirt. So taking that into consideration that you get a T-Shirt from the event which you'd pay $20 or more for possibly, it's not that bad. And also pay for it in advance and it's $10 cheaper. I just hope it's going to be as good as it sounds.
From Joshua Counsil on August 21, 2010 at 12:01 AM
The concept for Alone was one I've batted around in my head. Going through a haunted house solo eliminates many peoples' instincts to laugh like they would if they were with their friends. A solo haunted house could be truly terrifying. The price isn't in my range, but it's nice to see a fresh (though one wonders why it is) concept.

On that note, Universal has set the bar and few seem to be trying to change it. Every year, it seems that Universal and its Halloween competitors are content with having scare zones, mazes/houses, and a couple of live shows. Don't get me wrong - I'm sure it's a great time and I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing any events. Still, I feel like there should be something... different. Something new. After all, this is the company that just released an incredibly detailed Harry Potter land and plans to release several other cool, innovative attractions in future years. Every year should have one new creative, innovative concept. Say, for instance, a horror-themed feast, or a haunted boat ride, or something of the like. Maybe zombie paintball, or a make-your-own horror movie scene. Something to set the bar even higher. Alone is a step in the right direction.

I'm not complaining. Halloween Horror Nights looks amazing and I wish I could attend. I just find it strange that the formula has sunk in and stuck - mazes, scare zones, and live shows. Maybe it's because Universal is miles ahead of the Halloween competition, rendering innovative thinking pointless.

From luis gonzalez on August 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM
whats up eveyone, ive been away for a while cause they blocked tpi at my job, it sucks bowels!!! anyway.....

Im hitting both events this year back to bloody back, and im super psyched. i just went through the howl-o-scream website and it looks like they are stepping it up this year. i havent been to howl in like three years so im really looking foward to what they have in store.

Alone sounds like the best damn idea for a haunt event i have ever heard. the thought of four or less people in a house by themselves is insane. I also really like the price point, i think its just high enough to scare away all but the true haunted house junkies such as myself. I have to do alone, if not i wont be able to live with myself.

horror nights is going to give us the details on thurs. so we will see what they have up their sleeve. In the last 7 years i've attended, nothing has come close to carnival of carnage, reflections of fear and ripped from the silver screen were ok but not quite there. i expect alot for the 20th anniversary. Im hoping that universal doesn't let me down.

WORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Robert Niles on August 21, 2010 at 5:17 AM
A workplace blocking TPI? I'd be honored! Wasting your work time with warm thoughts of vacation long has been my goal... :-)
From Mike Gallagher on August 21, 2010 at 6:35 AM
One of my favorite bands was X, out of the L.A. punk scene in the late 70's-early 80's. Too bad they couldn't re-unite and be the house band for this event. Copyright infringement, anyone?
From Helena Polansky on August 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM
I can't wait to go to Halloween Horror Night!!!!!! I hope it's the best one yet!

Im also going to Halloscream and the
"Alone" concept seems really cool but not in my price range :(

From Joshua Counsil on August 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM
Luis! I thought you got banned from the site for those Titanic comments. Glad to see you're back. Word.
From Jeff Elliott on August 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM
I hate to change the subject of the article a bit, but I am going to be in the Orlando area when both of the haunts are running. The only other "real" haunt that I have been to is Knott's Berry Farm a couple of years ago and had a really fun time.

I have already penciled in going to the Universal Orlando haunt. Is it going to be worth the drive and money to go to the Busch Gardens haunt as well?

I have been to terrible haunts and wouldn't want to waste the time and money unless both of them were extremely good. Go to both? Neither? One or the other?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

From Pyra Dong on August 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM
LUIS!!! Welcome back... and WORD... bwahahaa

OooOo, I HATE the idea of an additional cost-- and even the winning of a free shirt doesn't catch me-- all i have to do is step onto USF campus and the HOS marketers will throw a free shirt at you. But MAN!!! I LOVE the idea of an "alone" house.

I remember watching Halloween event specials around the country (my addiction: Travel Channel) and other "smaller" areas use that idea. Seems creeepily awesome. What if I have to go to the bathroom and I'm lost? AHHHHHHH THRICE the fear!!!

Joshua-- HOS kinda does a horror feast (extra of course) and it's an all-you-can-eat buffet that also allows 30 xtra mins in the park along with a preview of one of the shows. I think HHN used to do that as well. Worth it? hmmmmm.

Domenik-- hopefully i'll run into your scary travels.

From Mike Gallagher on August 21, 2010 at 12:24 PM
Joshua: What "Titanic" comments were you referring to as it pertains to Luis? What'd I miss?
From Charles Reichley on August 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM
I see that Kings Dominion and Dorney Park have their 2010 Halloween Haunt websites up and running.

KD is getting the Fangs show this year, we travelled twice to Dorney Park last year to see that show, so I'm hoping even if we get jobs at KD we'll get a chance to see the show.

Other than that, it looks like just a couple of tweaks to their mazes from last year. And Dorney park looks almost the same, except one changed maze regarding a haunted mansion that has people buzzing. And their show is a twist on the Fangs show.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get to do a lot of halloween haunted walkthroughs this year, if we get jobs at the KD haunt.

Didn't look like Busch Gardens -- Williamsburg has their Halloween haunt activated yet, their page still says it's under destruction.

From 71.70.75.207 on August 22, 2010 at 8:51 PM
I really like the Alone idea, but not enough to pay an additional 25/35 bucks. Maybe if they threw in a "I survived Alone" t-shirt and a free cocktail as part of the deal.
From 151.145.238.92 on August 25, 2010 at 8:27 AM
I am pretty sure the shirt you get for going through alone on ALONE is a one of kind can only get if you go through alone and the price point doesn't seem bad to me - especially if you go through with 3 other people - then it is only like $7 per person.