From 70.118.38.42 on September 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM
So instead of following OG, and stopping the attraction and either warning them or taking them off the ride you let them go through the entire attraction with no actual warning? And mangers where on site and they didnt do anything either? Sounds fishy. Not doubting that it doesnt happen, as a Cast/Team member ive seen it happen at 3 different parks, but we usually dont call a crowd to watch.
From 67.216.151.60 on September 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
That's messed up. They weren't hurting anybody and noone was around. They were just having a little fun.
From Stephen Landsman on September 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM
I guess some people think pirates are exciting.
From Scott B on September 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM
Ha ha, this so could have been a plot from a movie in the 80's. National Lampoon's Pirates of the Carribean!
From 76.111.240.187 on September 13, 2010 at 11:19 AM
I'm a CM @ DisneyQuest and we have a big problem with that happening at Alien Encounter, even though the guests have to walk right by the console with the monitor right on it they still go 4 deep into the attraction thinking nobody is watching. Little do they know its Infrared camera time and i'd say we get That issue more than once a month lol
From 173.162.139.169 on September 13, 2010 at 12:05 PM
I was almost afraid to keep reading when I read:

"I'm not proud of what I did next. With my left hand, I "

From Robert Niles on September 13, 2010 at 12:17 PM
+1 to the anonymous poster. :-)

In my defense, it wouldn't be safe for a guest to go over the falls unless she was sitting up, facing forward like she was supposed to. So I simply was doing the right thing by deploying that boat stop, right?

And whatever guilt I felt toward the guy, well, I lost that with his reaction at the end.

From 64.255.180.72 on September 13, 2010 at 12:21 PM
Well she obvisouly shivered his timbers and he got the booty! AARGHH
From 173.162.139.169 on September 13, 2010 at 12:34 PM
I agree, you were protecting the guest from hurting them self or possibly their fellow rider. That would have been a nightmare if the poor girl hit her head and ended up with a concussion. ;)
From Daniel Etcheberry on September 13, 2010 at 2:10 PM
Mr Niles, why did you stop the boat? Don't tell me you did it just to watch!

Anyways, I laughed a lot with the announcement over the speaker part.

From Jack Curley on September 13, 2010 at 2:48 PM
My ex-girlfriend was a Disney employee (back when The Disney store was still owned by Disney) and went to WDW all the time. She told me she knew "all the spots" where you weren't being watched. I never got to find out if she was right.

And for the record, I admire your dedication to that young woman's safety, Robert.

From Daniel Etcheberry on September 13, 2010 at 3:33 PM
Mr Niles, when you stopped the boat, you should have turned off the lights.
From Jorge Arnoldson on September 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM
I recall being on my first ride on Pirates of the Caribbean (WDW), when about a minute or two after the drop, a female CM came on the PA system, warning guests not to touch the water. Way to ruin the magic.

Speaking of which, there's two YouTube vids of people getting caught filming Star Tours.

From Ted Heumann on September 13, 2010 at 5:16 PM
This kind of thing has happened at Disneyland's Pirates too. I never personally witnessed it because I was in Merchandising, but I heard about it.
My buddy also saw LOTS of people in various states of undress on the Haunted Mansion. When he was there, there were not any cameras in that attraction, but the cast members knew how to follow doom buggies without the occupates knowing they were there.
From Pyra-Danny V on September 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM
I made the mistake of reading this post at work... and I almost died laughing.

The CM at the unloading dock should have nonchalantly said, "I hope you had a magical ride" then give a wink.

The guy's theme song at day's end? "Yo HO yo HO a pirate's life for me" (cough... the "ho" part)

From Anthony Murphy on September 13, 2010 at 8:06 PM
Great Story!

BTW, Disney Store is owned by Disney again. They bought it back!

I do think its a safety issue as well!

From Brandon Townsend on September 14, 2010 at 8:16 AM
I've heard of hidden Mickeys. But hidden BJs?
From 173.215.179.84 on September 14, 2010 at 2:36 PM
Love this story Robert! See, cast member stories are the best...

It's full with:

action - on the boat!
directing - (from your part) making the head magically appear
sound effects - fellow cast member over the speaker
witnesses "#@%" I mean public - all the interested cast members
joy! - before they got out
shame - after they been discovered!
gossip - the Disney news report across the park!

Love it!
Is themeparinsider for ADULTS, baby!

-Francisco-

From Raymond Sydowski on September 14, 2010 at 9:40 PM
The TTA had this same problem as well. And it had similar cameras. I was there when a couple was being led out by a manager and a security team, apparently to get a perma-ban from the park, and to be charged with public indecency by the Orange County Sheriff's Dept.
From Will Chilcote on September 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM
Is that a guest removed from the park property offense? I figured that kinda thing happened occasionally but, didn't know how disney reacted.