74.214.118.143

Published: September 22, 2010 at 9:59 PM

This would be so much fun to go to. Someplace where you don't have to be young to dress up in costumes and not be embarrassed about it.

If I went, I would probably wear my homemade pumpkin costume (similar to Donald in the one pic). If you went, what would you go as?

86.0.4.116

Published: September 22, 2010 at 11:52 PM

Hi, looks fantastic! Thanks for tip about buying tickets in advance. I am coming with my family from the UK next month and have bought our park passes. Could someone please tell me whether you have to exit and re-enter the park for the party or if you just stay through to the evening. Also what time the park is open to on those special event nights?
Thanks for your help!
82.9.115.58

Published: September 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM

Nowadays I seem to be mistaking Theme Park Insider for a Disney fansite. The bias towards DISNEY, DISNEY, DISNEY on this site from principally the webmaster(s) and then of course the forum patrons is appalling.

There are so many theme parks in the world, but you don't offer any kind of insight (or opinion, for that matter) on hardly any of them - unless they are based in Orlando or Anaheim obviously.

How about researching great European parks (I say "great" by European standards, obviously) such as Alton Towers, Parc Asterix, Efteling, Thorpe Park, PortAventura, Phantasialand, Europa Park...

Every time I log on to this site I read more and more about DISNEY...such as "...oh look, an ex-cast member from 1974 remembers this..." or "...wahey, look at the new fancy menus for EPCOT's 6th best restaurant..." or "...lo and behold the lack of chairs along the carnival route at Magic Kingdom...".

I would hazard a guess that the webmaster(s) and forum patrons on TPI have no knowledge whatsoever about any parks outside of Orlando and Anaheim - and that's fine I guess, but don't mislead people into visiting your site by pretending to offer 'insider' news on theme parks (generalisation, plural). Because you don't.

Published: September 23, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Just look at the attendance figure, anonymous. I also look at the site's traffic numbers, and page views for stories correlate strongly with park attendance. Disney, Universal and SeaWorld are the parks people go to, spend money at and what to read about. So that's where I focus the coverage. It's just that simple.

That said, I would love to have more coverage of the European parks, but living in America, I'm dependent upon European readers to help drive that - I can't provide it all myself. Now, this does raise a chicken-or-the-egg question: we need readers to provide coverage, but we need coverage to attract readers. I'm trying to break that by arranging a theme park trip to Europe, but I can save money only so fast.

We have had good coverage from readers in Europe in the past, and I've had some interest from a couple of readers who keep sending me e-mails from accounts to which my return messages bounce (grrrr...), so if anyone in the EU is reading this and wants to help us with that coverage, please let me know.

Joshua Counsil

Published: September 23, 2010 at 8:12 AM

I also seem to recall many more European trip reports/news coverages about 5-10 years ago.

I gotta say that I was never thrilled with the idea of a Magic Kingdom Halloween event, especially one with a name as lame as "Not-So-Scary". The park, however, really does look good. I typically shun the idea of characters dancing to pop hits, but the idea of the Disney characters performing Thriller actually makes me smile. However, none of that matters if the candy isn't good. Was it high-quality candy? You know, brand-name chocolate bars and the like? Or did you end up with a pile of coconut marshmallows?

And now, back to our regular scheduled discussion.

DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY DISNEY

Crystal A

Published: September 23, 2010 at 8:28 AM

We went last weekend and the candy is mixed. There are some chocolates of the name brand variety offered like mini snickers, york patties and M&M's. Most of the candies are name brand as well with Skittles, Sour Patch Kids and Laffy Taffy. We have gone for the past 4 years with our kids (9,8& 2). It's typically a fun night with not large crowds. A tip for the parade is to watch it in front of the Hall of Presidents. They leave the doors open and the A/C is blowing on your back. Florida in September is still pretty sticky!

I like MNSSHP but prefer the adult events at BGT and UO.
On Saturday we are doing the passholder night at HOS. Can't wait!

Russell Meyer

Published: September 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

We'll be there in another 2 weeks. It will be our first time doing the party, and we can't wait to enjoy it with our new baby!
Anthony Murphy

Published: September 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I love the review, but I especially love the pictures. Very excellent! I am thinking that maybe a new story or tip for TPI is good photo techniques for fireworks and theme parks in general.

The Halloween Party is a riot every year. The stigma of "its for kids" is broken down as you walk though the front gates. The Trick or Treating is worth it because, hey, when is the last time you were able to do that?

Manny Barron

Published: September 24, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Hey anonymous, TPI didn't forget about Europe, there was a neat article earlier this week on....DISNEYland Paris. Good read, check it out.

As for the Halloween Party, I wonder how many Harry Potter's will show up.