1) Anthony indicated that the current Aladdin Magic Carpets midway spinner would be removed: HUGE bonus points for him. Just taking that ride out and replacing it with nothing would be an improvement to the Magic Kingdom IMO!
2) Anthony likened his ride to Pteranadon Flyers at IOA however, the throughput on that attraction is atrocious, and the thrills minimal at best. But, the attraction he ultimately described did not sound like the Flyers except for the ride vehicle and track. I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
3) James ripped on the Jungle Cruise citing it would be too easy to improve it... major bonus for that comment!
4) The coaster James describes seems like it would be the most thrilling, offer the most variety (three tracks), and it has a launch (bonus!), however I think the height requirement (48" probably?) might put the ride out of reach for many MK visitors.
5) Dan compared his ride to Primeval Whirl, a major no-no in my book, but he recovered (a little) by putting much of the ride indoors which would improve even PW, IMHO.
6) Dan does get bonus points for choosing a nostalgic theme and bringing Toad back in a triumphant new form. I humbly disagree with Tim's statement that the idea lacks originality. Taking a defunct theme and breathing new life into it is exactly the sort of re-imagineering that keeps Disney parks at the forefront of the attendance wars.
In the end, while the choice was exceedingly difficult, I decided Anthony's Cave of Wonders coaster would be the best fit for the park. While I wish he would have given a little more detail, it just seems like this type of mostly enclosed, special effects-laden attraction will offer the most "magical" experience for guests visiting this most magical park.
Still, great job everyone. And as I have stated before, if I was a billionaire theme park mogul, I would hire you three to be on my Theme Park Advisory Board without a second thought!
Also on the idea of sight lines this ride would destroy the story book village atmosphere of fantasyland with a huge loud garishly painted coaster hovering over the whole park! How would that look from frontier land? Or tomorrow land?
I really have liked a lot of your ideas but I'm afraid this is not one of them.
Peter Pan on steroids a better example?
But lots of steroids, right? And some methamphetamines for good measure? ;)
I voted for James' idea, because unlike a certain anonymous poster above, I don't over-analyze. I voted for the coaster I'd most like to ride, because riding coasters is what I love to do. It's really that simple. And that anonymous poster, while dissing James' creation, gave no indication of what he/she DID vote for, and why.
The Cave of Wonders I think fits better either in Adventureland or even Morrocco because of the dessert and old adventure tales that Alladin is based off of. Alladin is kind-of a hard theme for Fantasyland because it could fit better elsewhere in WDW. If the theme of the attraction is based on Jasmine or Genie not Alladin then I think it can fit in the theme of Fantasyland.
Huey, Dewey and Loui's Downhill Derby is a great theme and ride, kind-of jealous that you imagined it, but is it better placed in DHS in Magic of Disney Animation?
Mine I had a hard time with this one trying to tell of the story of Mr. Toad, retheme it and then find a design that fit the theme. Thats how I thought about doing this competition. I dont think bringing the same Mr. Toad will go over well because of the Snow White and Winnie the Pooh already there and basically there the same ride, and you can always go to Disneyland and ride the original so thats why I decided to retheme and bring it back. Now choosing the right design and type of coaster was hardest for me, do I put a tame, wild or in between coaster and then whos my main audience kids or adults? So I choose one where most will enjoy it!
Such a close race!!!
Now its been 65 since i've posted this...
He is a Disney World cast member and probably not the only Disney World Cast Member going around TPI. Some of them probably saw them, told their friends, and voted.
I also think Dan's submission really hit a spot for some people, especially cast members and Disney World fans because, lets face it, we all miss Mr. Toad. Now with the new expansion, why not give Toad a chance to return. Its still a pretty popular ride in DL so Why not plus it at WDW?
Still, this is still a silly little game so we all need to remember that!
Some people have taken this far too seriously, and WAY too literally, as in "well THAT attraction wouldnt fit there, and I KNOW what Walt would want..." and like comments. Give me a break! I'm sorry, but just because you work for Disney does not give you magic powers to know what a man who died over 40 years ago would like. And the assertation that over 100 votes just happen to appear after the poll was reopened stinks to high heaven. I've seen this kind of behavior on other web pages.
Lastly, I don't like the idea of people commenting "anonymously".... if you have something to say be an adult and log in with a name and identify youerself. Don't hide.
Whoever the rat was that got in and screwed up the voting, I'm sure that those who wanted to participate in the next callenge that has been pulled would like to thank you for spoiling the fun.
that's what it's supposed to be, isn't it?