Charles Reichley

Published: May 6, 2013 at 2:56 PM

I should say that another good planning tip for a theme park is to find out when I am going, and not go that week.

I have a habit of managing to get to parks for a "once in a lifetime" visit, only to have their best ride closed. If I was smart, and planned two days, it will be closed both days.

Sometimes, like my first King's Island trip, they will shut down the coaster right after I plan my trip, and then tear out the best part of it. Or the ride will injure someone, like Geuaga lake's Jack Rabbit, so it will be closed until the end of the year, and then just to spite me they'll shut the entire park down so I'll never be able to go back.

Or I'll be smart, and decide NOT to rush to an opening, but wait until the end of the year, when the ride will certainly have been opened. Like, I went to Hershey Park last september, only to find that their new ride, which had been running all summer, had been closed for the year so they could upgrade it.

So yes, I am jinxed, avoid parks when I'm heading to them......

Denise Rambo

Published: May 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I've been to three Six Flags parks (Great Adventure being closest to me also) and, while their coasters are great, everything else about their properties and practices are so rundown, dirty and frustrating that I doubt I'll ever go to one again.
Eric G

Published: May 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Most theme parks try to open their new attractions for Memorial Day weekend. That's the traditional goal. If your visit revolves around a new ride then you shouldn't schedule it before that date unless you know otherwise.

Rarely will a park announce the actual opening day until it's known for sure they will open the new ride by that date. There is nothing worse than announcing the date and having some unforeseen circumstance delay the opening.

Iron Rattler will be shown off to invited media on May 15. The park is hosting a VIP preview party on Friday, May 17 for invited guests or those who purchase one of ten tickets being sold on eBay.

I've also been informed that Iron Rattler will be open for Six Flags "Gold" Season Passholders on Saturday and Sunday, May 18-19. The coaster opens to the general public on Friday, May 24 (the start of Memorial Day weekend).

May 24 by the way is technically Spring, so the park's marketing of opening this spring was correct. The first day of Summer is June 21.

71.42.118.10

Published: May 6, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This reminds me of the time I made a week-long side trip to visit a longtime friend only to find out the friend couldn't visit w/me hardly at all & ended up only visiting w/my friend for about 3 hrs & I spent the remainder of the week piddling around trying to find something to do since paying extra to change my flight was out of the question, not knowing I was only about 4 hrs away from Cedar Point! Go figure lol. I have wanted to visit CP for the longest time & I was right there! I didn't take the time to look at the map closely to see what other parks were in the area that we were in. It turns out, there were about 10 parks in the same area! I could kick myself! Instead, I had to stay in an over-priced hotel for a few days as there were no cheapies in the area so, my money could've been put to better use for park tickets! Oh well, live & learn! At least I know for next time!
Tracy Bates

Published: May 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I had to make five trips to universal to finally catch Rip Ride Rockit. It wasn't worth it

Disney made me angry this weekend by having a 'May the fourth be with you' special event selling exclusive Tshirts and pins. they only had them in one store with three cash registers. It took 2.5 hours in line to get one with part of the line being out in the rain. (About 45 minutes standing in the rain.)

You'd think they'd know that a special star wars event would bring people to the park and they would plan ahead, but apparently not.

Published: May 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Sometimes, you've just got to swing by a park and take a chance. My first trip to Singapore (for a journalism conference) coincided with the approximate time that Universal Studios Singapore was going to be soft-opening. But it didn't open while I was there. :^(

I did pull as many strings as I could and managed to get a walk-through tour of the park. But they wouldn't let me take pictures, which just about killed me. But I enjoyed my few minutes in the park, got a picture of me outside the front gate and scrounged what hand-out photos I could. (Here's what I posted.) It wasn't the dream trip I'd hoped for, but I enjoyed every minute of what I could get.

I think that's a pretty healthy attitude to bring to any vacation or get-away. Do the best you can. Thanks for the report, Bobbie!

Eric G

Published: May 6, 2013 at 7:28 PM

The author's comment overemphasis on inverted coasters doesn't make sense.

There is only one inverted roller coaster at Fiesta Texas - Goliath.

The park's other B&M coaster is an exceptional floorless coaster and one of the park's signature rides. Iron Rattler when it opens is without a doubt going to be another signature roller coaster.

Fiesta Texas is not a roller coaster park like Great Adventure, Cedar Point, Kings Dominion or Magic Mountain. The park instead is better known for its live entertainment and atmosphere. It's a relatively new theme park compared to most with detailed themed elements throughout. It's also got a unique setting residing in the bottom of an old rock quarry. It also doesn't have the same property zoning as Great Adventure. Fiesta Texas unfortunately has building height restrictions and Great Adventure does not.

What I'm saying is that it's really not fair to compare the two.

Brandon Townsend

Published: May 6, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I'll be at USS this Friday and will send you tons of pics if you like. As well as the previously discussed review assignments. My contact info is bet1227@hotmail.com.
Mike Gallagher

Published: May 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Charles said: "Or the ride will injure someone, like Geuaga lake's Jack Rabbit, so it will be closed until the end of the year, and then just to spite me they'll shut the entire park down so I'll never be able to go back."

Geauga Lake, according to RCDB, has never had a coaster called Jack Rabbit. I assume you meant Raging Wolf Bobs. I was at the park the day of the accident. Even *I* heard the noise, and I'm somewhat deaf.

On the vote, I didn't. I'm on the Jim Koehl train..try both, see what sticks!

Rob Pastor

Published: May 8, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Raging Wolf Bobs, I loved that coaster.But it did have the accident.....There's a Jack Rabbit coaster at Kennywood Park, Pittsburgh area. Could have that confused with Geauga Lake.