Tatooine is a desert planet, covered in sand. As Anakin Skywalker once awkwardly proclaimed, I don't like sand. I don't want to get it in my shoes, and I don't want to get any in my eyes if the wind picks up. Sure, they could cover the ground with a rocky surface that looks sandy, but it's not really the same.
Coruscant is a planet that has been completely enveloped by a city. A city that has progressively grown taller, blocking out all sunlight from the lower levels of the city. Coruscant would be very hard to accurately depict. I can't see them being able to give us the sense of depth required.
I definitely don't want to see it as a Star Wars movie set, because most of the prequels were shot in front of a green screen instead of a set.
I'd like to see a few diverse elements; maybe we get Mos Eisley and the cantina, the Jedi temple on Coruscant, the Ewok village on Endor (I know, it's a moon, not a planet). One thing I'm sure of is that if they can do Blizzard Beach, then they can do Hoth.
I also seem to recall hearing that the woodsy area behind the park is kind of swampy. You know what that means, Degobah!
I voted for multiple planets and would like to see Naboo/Tattooine/Coruscant with the Coruscant portion including the Jedi academy or something of that nature.
But Robert, you're missing the most important question.
"Will they serve Blue Milk?"
After all, new theme parks lands need a signature drink.
Of course, they already have two planets represented. The Ewok planet near the front of the ride where the AT-AT is, and what I guess is Mos Espa at the store, which is all sun-drenched rock.
Simply extend each section in the direction its facing and there would be no need for any changes to what already exists, while giving a nice transition area right at the Star Tours ride.
But one of the reasons I love Harry Potter land so much is that it's a huge area all in the same theme. Having two+ planets represented could make for two small lands, neither of which would be as immersive as if one planet was used for the entire land. And though the particular planet will likely never be agreed upon by everyone, it will look better.
A post on another thread detailed this and I think that poster had some good ideas. For DHS I would go with Tatooine. I would personally extend out over or under the road with the bridge being decorated as the transition into Mos Eisley, and converting the swampland into tattoine (knocking down things would probably make more financial sense I admit). Star Tours could have a rethemed exit so the ride is the thematic access route to tatooine from earth.
As for content, the cantina is a given for the primary meals area. Jabba's palace, I believe would be the best secondary food outlet,and would double up as the opening to a ride which features the escape from the palace and the sarlac. You could throw in the obligatory broken yeti - I mean rancor. This would be best done as a semi dark ride with the first half being inside and the rest outside. I'm thinking something vaguely similar to the mummy rides, or perhaps Indiana Jones (only on a smaller scale)
The next ride would be on Luke's t-16, definitely a kiddie coaster (I don't believe DHS has one at all) with a simple threading of the stone needle and taking potshots at womp rats.
The final ride, and the e-ticket,would be a pod-race. This could be done in many different ways, and I'm sure disney's imagineers could come up with better ideas than I could on how it works. This is one of the best action set-pieces from Tatooine, and could make for an incredible ride if done correctly.
Please let me know what you think of my ideas.
Hollywood Studios - They've already established Endor, it could easily be expanded into Muppets area. Turn Pizza Planet into Ewok Eatery, lots of food on a stick. And Muppets 3D can be rethemed, Keep Star Tours as is.
Epcot - Coruscant can be done up in the area of Ellen's energy adventure. Mission Space can be re-themed. And a small c-ticket attraction can be done. The area shouod be in a similar style of the world showcase, they can have nightclubs / bar / counter service etc.
Animal Kingdom - instead of Avatar Land , build Felucia and go wild! (Pun intended)
magic Kingdom - Naboo. I think this could fit perfectly between tomorrow land and New Fantasyland. They can take out the racing ride, and convert that whole area into naboo, have one d ticket attraction involving an attack by the federation or they could bring back the submarines and theme it to the gungan world.
Okay - how many of you have been to New Fantasyland? It's cool and all, but the transitions are not what I would call "seamless" or "natural" which I would hate to see happen to SWL.
Oh, and because it needs to be said - forget SWL and CL. Just get rid of the Indy show and replace it with the Indy ride already! Such a no brainer!!!
Here are the planets I want to see represented:
* Tatooine (with Mos Eisley cantina) and a speeder chase E-ticket ride through the mountain canyons; my idea is to take the Radiator Springs Racers ride from DCA and clone it at DHS...but don't theme it to Cars. Instead, theme it to Star Wars and you could have sand people shooting at you, those Bantha and Dewback creatures, and other things. I also think you could have Jabba's Palace too...and have that be a theater where shows could be put on...and it would have animatronic Jabba on a balcony watching the show with you!
* Coruscant (this is the city-planet)...I think this could have a really fancy and elegant restaurant that would rival Le Cellier because Coruscant is the capital of the whole universe! I think it could also have a ride where you are flying around and zipping and zooming past the skyscrapers and then down into the dark reaches of all those buildings! I also think it would be fun to have a "Galactic Zoo" dark ride that would take guests past a collection of animals from the Star Wars movies. This would be a fun ride for Animal Kingdom too, if Avatar wasn't going there.
* Dagobah (the swamp planet where Yoda lived)...would make a great place for a spooky dark ride. Remember when Luke had to be tested and Yoda was telling him about The Force and he had to fight that ghost Darth Vader in the Empire Strikes Back? That would make a great dark ride.
* Hoth (the ice planet)...Disney can make Sea World's Antarctic look very junky by building the Ice Planet of Hoth...and I think the ride here would be set inside the rebel base and there would be those animatronic TaunTaun creatures and you'd maybe have a dark ride that would have that Wampa monster trying to womp on you!!! Would make a great place for an ice cream parlor too, built to look like it was carved out of the ice.
* Endor (the forest planet)...I see this as maybe a children's play area, running along rope-like paths like Grizzly Trail at DCA...only theme to be in the redwood forest of Endor's green moon. That's where those adorable little Ewoks were all living.
* Naboo (where Queen Amidala lived and it all looked super elegant). The architecture is so beautiful here...but I can't think of a good ride. You know what would be fun though? What if they themed the whole showcase like it was Naboo, next to a lake, and the Pavilions could all be on Naboo...so Naboo would be the host planet and then all the other planets would be represented by pavilions.
* Bespin (this is where Cloud City is and where Lando Calrissian lived). I think this could be a really exciting ride that maybe could be like Soarin'.
* Alderaan (that's the planet where Princess Leia was from and it got blown up by the Death Star). I think there could be a ride here that's set as the Death Star is attacking. For many years I wondered what Alderaan looked like...so I would like to visit there. They showed it briefly in the Revenge of the Sith movie at the end...it looks like Slovenia there, with futuristic buildings.
* Mon Calamari (that's a water planet that will be featured in the next trilogy). This is where that Admiral Akbar is from. Could be a good excuse to have a really good underwater-feeling ride.
This is exciting to think about all the possibilities!
I think a world showcase setup that is themed as if you are on Naboo would be the easiest way to represent all of these planets...just like at EPCOT with the countries.
1) Dagobah-- because nothing says Florida better than being in the middle of swampland with fake alligator-like creatures lurking in the water
2) Hoth-- Disney can one-up Universal's Harry Potter land by having an actual icy wonderland all year long complete with life-sized AT-ATs and Wampa monsters that only work for 6 months after opening
3) Death Star interior--Guests will love being in a mock-up of a colossal mechanical space station with Klaxons blaring and panicked Cast Members running around as the Death Star is about to blow up. Talk about something going horribly wrong!
4) Endor moon--Disney will spare no cost and transplant a redwood grove in Florida and hire an army of Hollywood extras to work in costume as Ewoks.
While I hope very much to see Star Wars Land (And CarsLand East), I just can't get any excitement out of year-old recirculated rumours until I see anything official from Disney. After all, most of these same sources were the ones claiming Bob Iger and George Lucas were at DHS on May 4th to announce Star Wars Land. That didn't happen either.
True, but Robert Niles has a pretty excellent track record when it comes to industry leaks (he seems to be the "official, un-official" conduit), at least as far as Universal and Harry Potter goes. In any case, I suspect we'll know either way at D23, since it would make no sense for Disney to use plans like a Star Wars world as a weapon against Universal and NOT go public as soon as possible.
Enter from the currently themed Endor, ride the ride then have the last scene of the ride be in Tatooine. This would trigger a set of exit doors which would lead to a Tatooine themed planet.
Another ending of the Star Tours ride might be the Death Star. When the Death Star ending occurs different exit doors open, walk down a long airport like corridor and you are now on the Death Star.
In each of these "planets," there would be a Star Tours spaceship terminal which would allow you to return to the ride, via a long airport like corridor, and take it to another location.
You could even have designated motion simulators, the 2 on the left go to Tatooine, the two on the right visit Hoth, the center ones are shuttles to the Death Star.
Each would have their own separate exit into a differently themed planet.
Also, Tatooine and Radiator Springs are lot of barren desert for humid Central Florida. The park already lacks trees