From James Rao on June 18, 2013 at 3:35 AM
Thanks for sharing, Bobbie. Is the ride "bumpy on purpose" like Kilimanjaro Safaris, or is it just rough terrain? Further, is there some attempt at a story (you mentioned a "fictitious conservationist family" - is their story carried throughout the attraction?), or is there no thematic pretense at all - you're just going for a park administered ride through a zoological area?
From Rob Pastor on June 18, 2013 at 8:51 AM
Nice report.
From Russell Meyer on June 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I haven't had a chance to check this out yet, but hopefully will later this summer. This is another example of Six Flags at least trying to appeal to more than just coaster junkies. The old "ghetto safari" as I called it, was a disaster that caused more vehicle damage than smiling faces. Creating a more authentic safari experience in park-maintained vehicles is a good choice, but I wonder if financially it is sustainable (the old safari had a separate admission). Six Flags has minimal animal-based attractions, so I would hope that they have experienced staff and personnel to maintain the animals year-round. Six Flags has jetisoned animal attraction in the past (big chunks of Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (former Sea World portion was closed and the remaining park then sold to Cedar Fair, and even the coming and going of animal attractions at SFGAdv---Dolphin and sea lion show among others), so I would hope that this attraction does not meet a similar fate or simply become a vcitim of disinterest and poor maintenance.
From Bobbie Butterfield on June 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
In response to James, the ride is bumpy due to the rough terrain. The story of the fictitious Wilds family is supposedly carried throughout the ride but I didn't really pay attention, as I was focused on looking at the animals and listening to the guides; there was a voiceover, presumably from the Wilds family, in the loading area that I found almost inaudible.

In response to Rob, thanks!

In response to Russell, I too wonder whether maintaining the safari off ride adventure will prove to be economically feasible. I would expect it to be only marginally profitable if at all, by attracting more guests to the park and possibly motivating them to spend money at the stop-off point of the safari. However, I could be wrong and hope that I am. Realistically, the safari isn't going to be a big attraction for season pass holders or other repeat visitors. I admit to being one of those coaster junkies to whom Russell refers. There is a coaster-based website which allows me to keep a record of every coaster I've ridden and how many times I've ridden it - so I know that to date, on my combined visits to Six Flags Great Adventure I have ridden El Toro 80 times. Am I going to do the safari 80 times?

From 69.141.194.66 on June 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
You said its included in price of the regular park. Are you allowed to but tickets to the safari itself with out haven't to do the other park or do you have to buy a park ticket to do the safari?
From 98.227.60.180 on June 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
This article was sublime! I loved it. I felt like I was on the safari when I was reading it. And I love the pics you include Bobbi. That tee shirt gives me the giggles. I wish you would tell us what people say to you in that shirt. Do they follow you?
From Bobbie Butterfield on June 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM
To 69.141.194.66, as far as I know you have to buy a ticket to the park to go on the safari but there's plenty of other stuff to do in the park and if you purchase the tickets online they're cheaper than at the gate.

To 98.227.60.180, I'm glad you liked the article. That's as close as I've ever gotten to an elephant that wasn't in a cage. As to the T-shirt, I get a lot of looks but not many comments on it although I did get one on the same day that I went on the safari. I was in the loading station of Nitro and some guy said "You know what you're doing, do you? Then maybe you can tell me the best place to sit." I said "The back, trust me; the airtime is better" and he did sit in the back. I love this T-shirt and would be eternally grateful if the great Robert Niles would send me another one so I'd have one to wear while this one is in the laundry basket.