From Bryce McGibeny on August 31, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I agree that Islands of Adventure helped to solidify Universal as competition, as it showed that they could create a truly immersive theme park. Islands of Adventure is still one of Orlando's best theme parks, and one of the best parks in the U.S.. And WWoHP is what truly gave Islands of Adventure the attention that it finally deserved, even if that meant sacrificing a good portion of the original and beautiful Lost Continent. But I'd say that it was a VERY good sacrifice.
From Rob Pastor on August 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Totally agree with Bryce's comment.
From Jaiden Cohen on August 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM
If there is a lord of the rings expansion were will it be? Marvel or lost continent. Lost would be easier because it is already mideval. If marvel goes what will Spider-Man be? DON'T LET MARVEL GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
From steve lee on August 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM
The only reason for Universal to keep Marvel is to give Disney the finger. If the three-thousand articles that came out back when Disney bought Marvel are accurate, Universal can neither add nor remove anything without causing the terms of the deal to change which would give leverage back to Disney (note that I am not a lawyer, and I am merely parroting the most common conjecture on what the actual terms are).

So they can update the whole park, but Marvel Super Hero Island just sits there with nothing new forever? Not the best use of that real estate, really, but if it keeps Disney at bay I guess it's a strategy.

From Apple Butter on September 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM
They updated the Spidey ride last year so they can update rides and under the rules of not changing a single thing are wrong or else Universal woundn't have done it. I'm not a lawyer either so there must be somewhere in the claim that Universal can update the rides in Marvel Island.
From O T on September 1, 2013 at 10:03 AM
I always loved IOA and was a bit sad to see a part of the Mythical part go but Potter is an amazing addition.
I would love to see Middle Earth enter IOA's lands and why not smack it right in the middle on it's own island. If that is not possible I would love to see Toon Lagoon go or Marvel Island re-themed if Disney is willing to pay a lot.
From Cory R on September 1, 2013 at 11:26 AM
What remains of Lost Continent is WAY too small to do a Lord of the Rings land the right way. There is no where to create a new island, unless it is literally an island in the middle of the lagoon, but that would not work logistically or aesthetically, not to mention not nearly enough space. So if IOA were to get Lord of the Rings, replacing it with Marvel Superhero Island is the only logical choice. They would get a good chunk of change from Disney by selling those rights, and having Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter would allow Universal to easily compete with Disney, even with Star Wars and Marvel. LOTR and HP would be quite the one-two punch. Plus Central Florida theme park fans win by having all four franchises represented at the parks. I really want to see rides based on Iron Man, Thor, and the Avengers (in Florida) but as long as Universal still has Marvel, we will be stuck with only Spiderman and The Hulk.
From Bryce McGibeny on September 1, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I would personally want to see Toon Lagoon leave, and definitely not Marvel Super Hero Island.
From Anon Mouse on September 1, 2013 at 5:51 PM
"Universal can neither add nor remove anything without causing the terms of the deal to change which would give leverage back to Disney"

Universal can still add, but not subtract without a replacement. For instance, Universal upgraded Spiderman without any adverse affect on their agreement.

I would think it is mostly lack of usage that will cause the rights to revert back to Disney. If Universal wants to continue to maintain the franchise, it should continue to look towards expanding the attractions slate. However, what will happen if they decide to remove Spiderman? Probably nothing because the Hulk roller coaster is still there.

Look at the Marvel movie agreements. Sony continue to reboot Spiderman to maintain a lock on the franchise.

From Kelly Muggleton on September 2, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Just to get back to the actual park rather than Marvel wars...
What UO did with Harry Potter made me a Harry Potter fan. I had never read a book or seen a film (I had watched one 'making of' show about one of the movies).
I've since seen the films and been to the Warner Brothers tour here in England.
The snow falling in Hogwarts gave me the first real new emotional pull I had from an Orlando theme park in years. I stood in the middle of the room, open-mouthed and just shouted 'Wow!'.
That right there - that's how it's done.
*stands up and claps for IOA*
From Bryce McGibeny on September 2, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I would also like to acknowledge the "old" Lost Continent, which featured the amazing Dueling Dragons (much better than how it is now), The Enchanted Oak Tavern and the Flying Unicorn. I think that the entrance and the queue to Dueling Dragons were both such masterpieces, and the entire theming of the Merlinwood was just something to truly commend.
From Rob Pastor on September 2, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Kelly: Another that I agree with completely. I never paid any attention to Harry Potter until I went to IOA in 2011 & 2012. But I absolutely love the entire land. Plus, it too was a wow moment for me & my GF when the snow fell after the magical disappearance of Harry & friends. I never anticipated the land being that great. Generally when something is hyped that much, there's a letdown when the real thing doesn't meet rising expectations.But,the HP land was even better than the hype. And it looks like Diagon, Gringotts (Studios) and Hogwarts Express (IOA & Studios) may even blow HP out of the water, which will be truly amazing if it does.
From Kelly Muggleton on September 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM
I think you're right there Rob! I am really excited about the Studios side of Potter. I work very near some of the streets that were used in the film (Leadenhall Market) so to have the London side is going to be awesome!
They managed to do they IOA side a way that it felt familiar even though I wasn't a fan. Just brilliantly themed all round.

I haven't been able to make the trip to Orlando this year so next year I feel it will be very much all about UO.

From N B on September 3, 2013 at 1:55 PM
I think the USF that I have come to know is going to be changed forever when Diagon Alley opens. My hope is that this resort doesn't become another Disney.

Consistent capacity crowds would definitely change the whole vacation experience.. the only saving grace will be early entry.

From Rob Pastor on September 4, 2013 at 6:47 AM
But the real theme park "MAGIC" is the on site deluxe hotel express pass. As long as that's there, Universal will always be someplace special for me.