From David Eggert on September 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Maybe I'm reading the Disney Parks blog too literally, but to me it seems to say that you will only be able to ride FROM Animal Kingdom TO Downtown Disney.

"Direct service from Disney’s Animal Kingdom to Downtown Disney West Side is now happening daily."

"...guests shared feedback asking for direct bus transportation from Disney Parks to Downtown Disney."

Offering buses one way from DAK to DTD would still prevent park guests from getting free parking at DTD, while also encouraging more guests to check out (and spend money at) DTD after their day at DAK was done, even though it would make it difficult for them to return to their cars at the and of the day.

From Chad H on September 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Not disney specific, but Parking, and shuttlebusses to theme parks from nearby transport hubs, strike me as nothing more than simple price gouging.

If you're going to spend a day at a theme park, you're going to have to get there somehow. Either you park, or you take some other transport option. If the park is charging for both, they are simply adding a hidden cost to the ticket price.

If anything, disney should be charging for parking for the free facility users, whilst offering free parking to paying park guests.

From Dave Stroem on September 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM
They could also only run the buses later in the day from DD to AK. Thus avoid having people use this lot for the early morning rush.
From 72.202.142.199 on September 17, 2013 at 4:25 PM
As someone who uses a day at Animal Kingdom as the day I also visit Downtown Disney (since AK is basically a half-day park for me) I love this idea. I don't stay on the Disney property so being able to go straight from AK to DTD without having to take a bus to a hotel is awesome for me. And luckily, I'll be there in 3 weeks and be able to take advantage of it. :)
From N B on September 17, 2013 at 5:05 PM
Doesn't nearly every hotel in the area (except for Universal's) have bus service to the various Disney parks?
From Robert Niles on September 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM
David, I wondered that, too, but Disney would have to offer return service to Downtown Disney from DAK to allow people parked at DAK to retrieve their cars, right? So the service would have to be two-way.
From Oak A on September 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I noticed these buses were offered when I visited AK just a few days ago. I couldn't help but think about the Downtown Disney rebranding, and how there is a general dearth of parking (I speak from experience). It also seems that this transport service is continuous and filled just as the other routes are, as opposed to something cursory. I think that this service will be offered until Disney Springs is dedicated. Its only logical.
From Tony Duda on September 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
You forgot the most important part...

BUSES WILL START AT 3 PM !!!!!!!!!!

This means no DTD parking and taking a bus to AK for a day at the park. This is only good for guest who park at AK and want to bus commute to DTD and back for the evening OR the resort guest who wants to go from the hotel to AK to DTD and return to the hotel without the intermediate trip from AK to the hotel then to DTD.

From 184.90.150.22 on September 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Parking at Universal Orlando's parking garage is free for FL residents after 6pm (when a valid FL ID is shown).
From TH Creative on September 18, 2013 at 4:49 AM
I have NO DOUBT that the arrival of the garages at Disney Springs will result in a charge for parking.
From 97.100.100.121 on September 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Oh Please! Disney is not ALWAYS trying rip you off! This appears to be a simple solution to the lack of parking at Downtown Disney. The Animal Kingdom lots sit vacant every day from park closing (quite early) until the next morning. People arrive at Animal Kingdom early and leave early. By 3:00pm they usually only need one parking booth attendant.

My bet is that if you arrive at Animal Kingdom's parking lot after 3:00pm and say you are going to Downtown Disney they will not charge you for parking.

From Michael Smith on September 21, 2013 at 2:14 PM
They just changed the return service to end 3hrs after AK closes. Must not have had enough people making the trip back to AK.