O T

Published: October 15, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Yes leaks are fun, just like rumours, but I just don't think these lands and rides are set in stone a long time in advance. If they tell us bits and they change (something that could happen even during construction) people complain.

I hope some bits and bobs are leaked and sites monitored to see if it is a good idea, who knows.

208.125.225.18

Published: October 15, 2013 at 8:22 AM

sometimes the only comment that needs to be made on an article as a fan. is a simple I AGREE!

great article, as always. Love you guys!!

Chelsy

Amanda Jenkins

Published: October 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM

The leaks are a love/hate relationship. When one is so passionate about particular parks, then leaked news can either be rejoiced over or dreaded. I do love hearing what is in store. I've been holding off on visiting Universal Orlando and Disneyland because of all the expansions. I'm glad I did wait and am waiting on Universal. Now I'm just waiting on Disney to confirm a Star Wars land.
Jacob Sundstrom

Published: October 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

"Look at Hyperion Warf that would have replace Pleasure Island. When Disney announced that and plans changed into Disney Springs a lot of fans where disappointed (and judging both concepts, rightly)."

I totally get this -- but isn't that Disney's fault for announcing something and then delivering what appears to be a worse product? This is less a problem with leaks and early announcements and more about Disney cheaping out and settling for less.

If they had announce Hyperion Wharf and then changed their minds to build a better experience ... well, we probably wouldn't complain so much.

Annette Forrest

Published: October 15, 2013 at 10:58 AM

It is interesting thinking about how an upcoming attraction affects a family's trip planning.

For instance, my family was going to go to WDW this September, but we pushed the trip back to early June of next year because we want to ride the Mine Train coaster and see New Fantasyland finished. We also didn't want to go when there'd be a big construction site in the park.

I think a lot of people are like this, and will adjust their plans by several months if they are close to when something new will open. I don't know how far into the future people will put off a family trip, just to be there for something amazing opening. Remember that kids are only kids for so long, so delaying a trip too far into the future might mean missing out on memories that can never be brought back.

For instance, let's take the Star Wars example. Let's say that Disney announced today a massive Star Wars project that had the most incredible concept art ever. I told you we're already going to Disney next June. If Disney said that Star Wars would be built and ready in five or six years, that announcement has no impact on my family's trip next year at all. Because my sons are 9 and 12 and I am not waiting another five years to take them to Disney (because at ages 14 and 17 it would not be the same kind of trip for us).

Now, if Disney announced Star Wars would be built and ready in two years, we might think about delaying our trip so we can see it. That would put the boys at 11 and 14...and they might be even more into Star Wars by then, especially with the new movies coming up. My family takes a Disney trip every year most years, but sometimes we alternate between WDW and Disneyland. Having a new big attraction opening impacts our decision making. Though, sometimes we even stay away when something new opens to let the crowds die down (like with Cars Land). I try to plan our trips when it won't be that crowded because I have some anxiety issues and oppressive crowding is not good for me. I am an off-season gal.

I don't think the tourists Disney really WANTS in its parks are ever affected by the "announcements of new things delays trips" thing. Think about it. Disney really wants families that can afford to spend a lot of money in the parks, and can go to WDW whenever they want. Disney really doesn't want the savers or the money-worry folks (like my family). If a family goes to WDW every year (or whenever they want, money is no object) then it doesn't matter if a new attraction opens next year because these people will be making a trip there anyway.

I don't think Disney is ever really hurt by announcing something new. I think Disney is stupid a lot of the time for keeping so many things secret...but I suspect they do this more because Disney cuts things out of budgets during the whole construction process and they don't want to herald something that they think they might not really build.

I also think that the disaster Sea World had this year with Antarctica will be a case-study from now on. People I know who don't really follow theme park news talk about how Sea World did a bait and switch with its amazing concept art that did not really look anything like the lackluster ride they ended up building with those penguins. They promised something gorgeous and amazing and then they did an inferior job executing it. While Antarctica is still pretty good for a Sea World park, what the concept art promised was amazing for any park...and hence the disappointment now.

Annette Forrest

Published: October 15, 2013 at 11:01 AM

To: Jacob,

What about Hyperion Wharf did you like more than Disney Springs? If I remember correctly, Hyperion Wharf was nothing special and Disney Springs is a lot nicer and prettier. So i think we're getting something better than Hyperion Wharf.

I'm curious why you think Hyperion Wharf would have been better.

64.12.116.206

Published: October 15, 2013 at 12:03 PM

You made some excellent point, Robert. I particularly agree when you say that Disney is making money from the popularity of Wizarding World. That's just one example demonstrating that the theme park industry is in greater symbiosis than competition. People come for the new stuff, and then visit the other parks -- why not, as long as they're in the neighborhood?
75.187.131.228

Published: October 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM

When a leaked plan changes, is never constructed or not done "on time" in the eyes of the public (think Knoebels Flying Turns) people are upset. There is a reason most parks don't want plans announced until they are ready to release the information. Of course this doesn't mean that some parks don't intentionally leak the info themselves.
74.235.192.240

Published: October 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Some parks like Disney do not even announce when they are closing water parks or attractions for good. They just shut them down and they never open again. At least let the fans go one more time.

Universal Orlando actually holds special events announced months in advance when they close a ride. When King Kong closed they kept it open late and gave everyone a banana to send the big guy out right.