Rob Pastor

Published: April 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

And Six Flags execs probably question why the park chain has such a bad rep.
Gabriel Schroll

Published: April 23, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Geez, that HELIX roller coaster was pretty awesome! I loved how long it was, and of course all of the inversions.

But it makes me appreciate Universal and Disney's theming. These other parks just don't have any warmth. And I'm not talking about the temperature.

I feel GOOD when I go to a Disney park. No, scratch that. GREAT!

This ride and others like it are fantastic and exciting, but I'll take Disneyland or Magic Kingdom over it any day.

Anon Mouse

Published: April 23, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Parks have no refund policies. This is pretty common. Asking for a exception is wrong. Since we are asking for sympathy, she has it, but she is still not entitled to a refund. $72. Really?!!! That's what she is will to go to war for?!!!
Jeff Elliott

Published: April 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM

She is allowed to ask...there is nothing wrong with that.

And it is good customer service to bend the rules under certain conditions.

James Trexen

Published: April 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Disney's Animal Kingdom- This week, Disney debuted a spiritual apprentice to Lucky the Dinosaur named Val. I have to say, I'm really impressed by the sophisticated animatronic. It actually looks like there is a human controlling the raptor.

Edit: Sorry, can't get a video embed to work here.
Jeff Elliott

Published: April 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM

It looks like a puppet to me and not an animatronic...

Anon Mouse

Published: April 23, 2014 at 2:21 PM

"She is allowed to ask...there is nothing wrong with that."

She did ask. Then went to the media.

Nothing wrong with going to the media. Right?

Dan Barnes

Published: April 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

KD got more than singing mushrooms, it's just not a new ride. A lot of older rides got extensive rehab this year. Rebel Yell got the most off-season love of any ride, but even Anaconda got paint and the splashdown effect has been restored. The Volcano queue got re-done (the jury's still out on whether that was an improvement). A couple of rides are still closed for rehab (Hurler, Crypt).

But, yeah, the kiddies got Planet Snoopy last year. The "big kids" are due for something new. The I305 glow has faded considerably.

31.151.15.226

Published: April 23, 2014 at 2:44 PM

About the news from the "Efteling"

– The park indeed has confirmed that they are getting a B&M dive coaster
But nobody said it would be like the Kraken coaster in the video. Even more, management actually made a specific point it would be different from Kraken and it would be longer and have more like a real roller coaster lay-out.

- And.. I am curious as to why you'd call the Efteling "never-never land" ??

Jeff Elliott

Published: April 23, 2014 at 2:58 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to the media.

It answers the question: If everyone were to know that you did something, would you still do it?

68.97.246.57

Published: April 23, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Ah Rebel Yell, or as I called it Rebel Hell. I don't suffer from migraine headaches, but I believe I received one after riding that horrible, shaky coaster.

Published: April 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Everyone in the travel and tourism industry should have learned by now that "no refunds" really means "no refunds to live people who are physically able to travel and attend." Try to enforce "no refunds" otherwise, and you're asking for nasty publicity.

The art of customer service is not mindlessly enforcing rules, it is thoughtfully breaking them.

James Trexen

Published: April 23, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Clearly, I need to be more facetious in my writing. Oh well, that's why we leave the writing to the professionals.
Jeff Elliott

Published: April 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

In regards to the new B&M dive coaster at Efteling, I only heard the height and the maker and made an assumption. I think that Efteling is the type of park to not do the standard drop and back to the station that is shown in the video, but it is much cheaper to go that route.

And the "Never Never Land" is a childhood thing that I did and still find amusing to this day. I had always thought of the Netherlands as Neverland, and was amazed to find later in elementary school that Netherland actually is a real place.

108.0.202.66

Published: April 23, 2014 at 6:12 PM

So much news!

Re: The editor's note. Makes me wonder if Universal is still playing chicken with Disney. If Disney still can't officially announce a Mine Train opening date, I wonder if Universal is postponing their live broadcast until after that time.

If Spiderman is getting such long lines in Paris, does Universal have anything specific planned with the launch of the new Spiderman movie? My understanding is they do not have to pay any additional royalties to Disney or Sony Pictures to promote Spiderman in their Florida parks.

And Helix just makes me happy!!

Anon Mouse

Published: April 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM

You can't sell a ticket to a dead person. A dead person cannot collect on a refund even if it is offered, thus the offer to transfer the unused portion to a live person, perhaps the next of kin. Oh well. The dead exception is noted.
Jeff Elliott

Published: April 24, 2014 at 6:07 AM

To the comment above,

It does almost feel like Universal is playing chicken with Disney.

But...

Universal should be fairly well convinced that their new expansion and rides should blow the pants off of a small family roller coaster (that could be having issues) at Disney. They are also being aimed at different age groups, Seven Dwarves is for the kids and Potter V2 is aimed at teens and adults.

I think both parks benefit from their new attractions, but Disney is not going to see the massive attendance increases that Universal will...so does it really matter what Universal does since they have the better attraction? No, not really other than to try and rain on Disney parade.

I wonder when Disney is going to move forward with their plans of building a park/land aimed at teens and adults? Until they do, they will continue to erode market share to Universal.

Rob Pastor

Published: April 24, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Discussions on some other sites about 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster are concerning potential capacity problems. Rumors are that they were hoping to run three or four trains at a time (1200-1600 hr. capacity) but during tests only two concurrent runs (800 hr. capacity) are working out. If they can't fix that, capacity can be a huge problem. The lines and waits would be really long on a 800 hr. capacity attraction. Due to it's location in the vastly popular Magic Kingdom that would be worst than Toy Story Mania. Even three trains with a 1200 per hr. capacity would be pretty bad for wait times. Picture Peter Pan on steroids wait times.
Gabriel Schroll

Published: April 24, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I'm picturing Peter Pan on steroids and I see the Green Giant.

Who wants cheesy broccoli and beans with slivered almonds?

I'm still of the thought that Disney should turn Hollywood Studios into their "teens park". They already have Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster. All they need to do is a well-thought out and immersive Star Wars section and expand Pixar Place to include a Monsters Inc dark ride roller coaster, along the lines of RnRC or even Universal's Mummy.

No need for a fifth gate, though that would be pretty amazing.

Rob Pastor

Published: April 24, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Gabriel: Green Giant, that's good. LOL...I strongly agree with your DHS observation.
31.151.15.226

Published: April 24, 2014 at 1:12 PM

in respons to :
" the "Never Never Land" is a childhood thing that I did and still find amusing to this day. I had always thought of the Netherlands as Neverland, and was amazed to find later in elementary school that Netherland actually is a real place. "

That sounds actually pretty cute, I get it now,
I wish our country was called the Neverlands.. that would be so cool!!

Nether in Netherlands actually stands for 'lower'.
Since a big part of our country is actually beneath sea level, so it is a very fitting name.

'The Efteling' is very much one of the things most Dutch people are very proud of. It's vast and enchanting fairy tale forest and many elaborately decorated attractions , dense nature and sheer size of the place brings fairytale and legends to life in a way that very much fits the Dutch culture.

groeten
Dominique, Rotterdam, Netherlands

Rob Pastor

Published: April 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Menchies at Universal Orlando Citiwalk are going to have Dole Whips. Ahhh, like sitting in Adventureland enjoying a Dole Whip. And probably no long lines. But I will miss the Hippos.