166.94.28.41

Published: May 2, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Read this and after a few moments I started to cry.
Brian Emery

Published: May 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM

You have a great attitude Daniel and I wish only good times for you.

I often feel guilty when I am in the Theme park and I see someone who has to struggle. Maybe guilty is not the correct word, maybe - I feel lucky I have a healthy family. Lucky to have a brain that is functional with no ailments.

It is good sometimes to be humbled by you and remember to enjoy every day..
Thanks Dan.

Published: May 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I want someone to invent the "Daniel" app that makes his words "I knew I couldn’t continue to be sad and not enjoy life" appear in front of everyone who needs them, whenever they need them. Thank you, Daniel.
173.170.103.20

Published: May 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Short, terrific observation that punches you square in the emotional gut. Great job! A very welcome reminder that each day is a gift, and how we open and spend it is entirely up to us. Thanks so much Daniel for this excellent post.

And thanks to Robert, too, for providing this forum where wonderful folks like Daniel can share interesting and thought-provoking comments about theme parks and so much more. It's why TPI is a must visit for me each day.

Brian

108.0.202.66

Published: May 2, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story! As someone that is getting on in years watching my bucket list get longer and my calendar get shorter, I can relate to a longing for things to be different. Why am I here and they are there?

At the same time, I'm finding a stronger clarity in myself and what is really important to me. I realize my experiences in no way relate to yours, but glad to read that you have found happiness in your life. I hope your theme park visits bring you more clarity and joy!

O T

Published: May 3, 2014 at 2:26 AM

My first time in a wheelchair to a theme park needs to come (in will this December and January) but my first time was going to a comic convention in The Netherlands. That was a though one because I can walk but not long and standing still (something you do a lot at a convention or a theme park) is impossible. I told a lot of artists who I know personally how I would visit and they all reacted so sweet. I wore my toughest cap and t-shirt not to look sad but man the pain inside was big. Your perspective literally shifted from heads to butts and crotches but it was this or not going at all. In the end everyone was so nice to me and although I saw many people "watching", I didn't care. At one point I almost pumped in a little girl who was in a much more complex wheelchair. I guess she was 6 or 7. Wow bumpercars! she smiled and I though, what the hell do I care if she is all fun and enjoying herself.
I don't focus on what I miss, I focus on what I gained. That is unfortunately some weight (lol)and an even bigger appreciation for life. When you are in pain every day and need to live with restrictions you also see the little things and learn to enjoy them to the fullest. From a drop on a leaf to the sun shining trough clouds.
Gabriel Schroll

Published: May 3, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Very touching, Daniel. I really appreciate you sharing that experience and perspective. Us able-bodied individuals need to take a moment to appreciate that we don't have the limitations that others do, and never take it for granted because it could be taken from us at any moment.
Bobbie Butterfield

Published: May 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Way to go, Daniel! And I don't see why you can't get married and have kids. I am amazed at what people with disabilities have been able to accomplish. I remember seeing a story on TV about a woman born with no arms; she got married, had kids and raised them. She didn't even use prostheses; she did everything with her feet. And look at what Oscar Pistorius was able to accomplish as a double amputee - although he is probably not the best example to cite because he's on trial for murder.
139.149.1.230

Published: May 6, 2014 at 2:45 AM

Thank you for sharing Daniel.
I've found this article very inspiring.
I read all of your columns and very much enjoy everything you write, for you to share more of yourself like this is a credit to you.
Thank you!
Kelly Muggleton

Published: May 7, 2014 at 2:02 AM

That last anon comment was me... wasn't signed in. Doh.