From Robert Niles on November 20, 2007 at 1:19 PM
Allow me to predict... that just as soon as Cleveland loses Chief Wahoo, and renames its MLB team "Spiders," Cleveland gets off the top of this list.

It's all about the karma.

From Anthony Murphy on November 20, 2007 at 2:00 PM
Shocking that Chicago is not higher. We got the Cubs!

And, to disagree with Mr. Drew Carey, Cleveland doesn't rock!

From Bradley Robertson on November 20, 2007 at 2:02 PM
If you included MLS the Kansas City score (and a few other cities) would be lower. Since the Wizards won the cup in 2000 the KC score would be lowered to about 18, if I understand how you calculated this.

Either way, this was interesting and I never thought to look at this way.

From Brady Allen on November 20, 2007 at 2:02 PM
PITTSBURGH STEELERS!!!!!!!

kicking clevelands butt since 1933!!!
Love ya Black & Gold

From Stephen Tuday on November 20, 2007 at 2:43 PM
Atlanta should be closer to the top than it really is. The one year the Atlanta Braves won the World Series Title was a year most folks did not care about MLB - this was a strike-shortened season and most fans were too angry with the league to care that season. The Falcons...I won't even go there!

This may be off topic, but it is fun!

From Robert Niles on November 20, 2007 at 3:39 PM
I remember when the Braves won that Series, and everyone thought it was the first of many... not a one-off that (barely) kept Atlanta from being one of the top-three suffering sports cities. Yet, I suspect that ATL will be moving up on this list for a looooong time.
From Mike K on November 20, 2007 at 4:00 PM
I'm from Cleveland, and it does suck being a sports fan. We are always hopeful, but are usually let down. The Tribe blew against Boston, and the Cavs just couldn't win a game in the Finals. The Browns have been rebuilding ever since they brought the team back, but at least this year they are winning some games. To add on to the misery, Cedar Fair just closed Geauga Lake, which has long time memories from everyone in Cleveland.
From Robert Niles on November 20, 2007 at 5:17 PM
Hey, Mike, at least now you have quantified *proof* that you do, in fact, have it worse than anyone else. :-)
From Pete Brecht on November 20, 2007 at 8:42 PM
No offense for you hockey fans, but I'm pretty sure that in this country these days, it's the Big 3, not the Big 4. Robert, how would the numbers look if you removed the NHL from the equation?
From Claudine Deshaies on November 20, 2007 at 9:10 PM
Robert, Boston area fans had to put up with quite a few misery years to get to this wonderful little thing we have going right now. Let us have our fun while it lasts!
From Robert Niles on November 20, 2007 at 9:18 PM
Pete,

Four of the top five most miserable cities don't have NHL teams, so the ranking at the top wouldn't change much. The one city with an NHL franchise, Philadelphia, would drop some, but not out of the top five.

The cities whose most recent titles came from the NHL all won titles in other sports within a few years, so there aren't any other huge jumps there. Raleigh would go off the list entirely, though, as it has no other major league team.

Yeah, the NHL is clearly the number-four league, but the Stanley Cup is such a cool trophy that winning it brings a lot of relief to a city. That's why I kept it in: more for the Stanley Cup than the NHL.

From David Kildal on November 21, 2007 at 5:34 AM
Even though you mentioned some of these teams, some, such as Seattle or Philadelphia, had been to a Super Bowl or what not recently, but did not win. So the misery score should be slightly changed, in my opinion
From Therese F on November 21, 2007 at 9:01 AM
Robert-

Nice work--of course I am not thrilled because I am a die hard Cleveland fan. However at least now I know my heart can withstand just about anything since all Cleveland teams have all broken my heart many times :).

I find it somewhat amusing that some inadverdently want their Cities misery index to be higher -- what I wouldn't give for Cleveland to be nowhere on the list!

Anyway thanks for keeping the board alive as go into our quiet period.

From Robert Niles on November 21, 2007 at 9:15 AM
I thought about trying a more complex formula, one that factored in how far a team advanced in the playoffs short of a championship.

But then I thought of friends of mine from upstate New York. Watching them, I think it is possible, maybe even probable, that watching your team go to the Super Bowl four times, and lose them all, provokes more misery than never seeing your team make the playoffs.

So... since I could not decide whether playoff advancement meant more, or less, misery, I stuck with the simpler formula: It's all about the championships.

From Mostly Anonymous on November 21, 2007 at 10:01 AM
Seattle should get bonus points for 2001.

The Mariners had by far the best record in baseball that year. They won 116 games, which set a new American League record for number of wins.

But did we get to go to the World Series?
No. Damn Yankees.

From vg fernandez on November 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM
i dont like commercial sports >:(
i love theme parks
From Larry Zimmerman on November 21, 2007 at 1:11 PM
Actually, I'm thankful I'm not ANYTHING in Cleveland...

But seriously, Robert, I think you totally missed the point about Tampa Bay. Here, our misery index is always 0, no matter what our sports teams do. Why?
a) It's 82 degrees and partly cloudy on Nov 21st.
b) Busch Gardens is open 365 days each year (366 in leap years!).
c) We have beautiful Gulf beaches less than an hour away, and just as beautiful Atlantic beaches just over two hours away.
d) We're only an hour from the House of Mouse.
e) If we don't like our own sports teams, there's always Orlando, Miami, Jacksonville...or in a worst case scenario, Atlanta or New Orleans. It's not unusual to see a Buccaneers flag on one side of a car and a Miami flag on the other...

So you see, no matter what happens in the Sports World, we are always smiling! Misery index = 0!

From Robert Niles on November 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM
Yes, denial is the only acceptable response to the Rays. ;-)

Actually, I thought about that looking at San Diego so high up on the list. I mean, lots of folks will feel some sympathy toward fans in Cleveland and Buffalo, but San Diego? Nope. Teams stink? Hit the beach.

From Chris Walton on November 26, 2007 at 12:39 PM
I agree that the NHL 04-05 lockout is partly responsible for the Tampa Bay Lightning not being able to keep the momentum to successfully defend the Cup.

And how can you not include the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in their years of misery, especially their inaugral season?

From Derek Potter on November 26, 2007 at 6:06 PM
Cleveland is on the up in sports. It's great to see that the teams are all doing well during the season. Now it's time to pick up a title. Had the Indians beaten the Sox, they probably would have been champs. The Cavs will be tops in the East, but they are a mid level team in the West, and the Browns are doing well, but in the same conference as the Patriots, Colts, and Steelers.

At least it's not Boston, where sports fans can't seem to be happy despite the fact it's been raining championships recently.