BEST COASTER? WHATS YOUR TOP 10?
Rank your top 10, or more if you like.
Rank your top 10 coasters around the world. You may do more, though. You have to had rode them, though.
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
1.Krakken (Sea World)
2. Batman (Six Flags Great America)
3. Thunder Mountain (DLP)
4. Dueling Dragons (IOA)
5. Raging Bull (Six Flags Great America)
6. Everest (AK)
7. Rockin Roller Coaster (MGM or DSH)
8. The Viper (Six Flags Great America)
9. Crush's Coaster (Disney Studios- Paris)
10. The Mummy (USO)
From Dan Forget
Posted November 28, 2007 at 1:04 PM
1: NITRO- SFGAdv
3: Maverick- CP
4: Top Thrill Dragster- CP
5: Millennium Force- CP
6: Storm Runner- HP
7: Kumba- BGA
8: Montu- BGA
9: Wicked Twister- CP
10: Mantis- CP
Gabe, you already know mine, but here they are:
4. Alpengeist/Apollo's Chariot
9. Lightning Racer
10. Rebel Yell/Flight of Fear
1. Top Gun (Carowinds)
9.loch ness monster
10.Flight of fear
My Top 10 Coasters
1. Maverick (Cedar Point)
2. Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
3. Magnum XL-200 (Cedar Point)
4. Dominator (Geauga Lake)
5. Raptor (Cedar Point)
6. Beast (Kings Island)
7. Mantis (Cedar Point)
8. Face/Off (Kings Island)
9. Thunderhawk (Geauga Lake)
10. Head Spin (Geauga Lake)
1). Dueling Dragons
5). Incredible Hulk Coaster
9). Spinball Whizzer
List will change somewhere in the future.
Hard to say because I haven't been to any true coaster parks outside of Florida and BGE, but here's my current list...
1. Sheikra (BGA)
2. Apollo's Chariot (BGE)
3. The Incredible Hulk (IOA)
4. Kumba (BGA)
5. Rock'n'Roller Coaster (MGM)
6. Kraken (SWO)
7. Montu (BGA)
8. Deuling Dragons (both Fire and Ice) (IOA)
9. Expedition Everest (AK)
10. Revenge of the Mummy (USF)
11. Alpengeist (BGE)
12. Gwazi (both Lion and Tiger) (BGA)
13. The Big Bad Wulf (BGE)
14. The Lochness Monster (BGE)
15. Space Mountain (MK)
16. Scorpion and Python(defunct) (BGA)
17. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (MK)
What I want to ride...
Kingda Ka (SFGA)
Griffon was awesome!!!
From Greg Bark
Posted November 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM
2. Expedition Everest
3. Apollo's Chariot
4. Lightning Racer
5. Magic Kingdom Space Mountain
6. Storm Runner
7. Rock n' Roller Coaster
8. Jack Rabbit
10. Loch Ness Monster
1. The Voyage
2. Superman (New England)
3. Millenium Force
4. Apollo's Chariot
6. El Toro
7. Goliath (Georgia)
8. Phantom's Revenge
1. X (SFMM)- the front is just bliss
2. Tatsu (SFMM)- the back is CRAZY during the pretzel loop
3. Top Thrill Dragster (CP)- man that launch was fast!!!
4. Maverick (CP)- an overall impressive layout
5. Millenium Force (CP)- the drops are fantastic
6. Rock 'N Roller Coaster (DMGMS)- i love how well disney incorporated the theme
7. Ghost Rider (KBF)- although i usually prefer steel, it's such a well built woodie that always delivers tons of 0 g thrills
8. Space Mountain (DL)- the best ride at DL; i have ridden it every single time i visited the park
9. Comet (HP)- even though it's not the most thrilling coaster, there's just something charming about it, plus it's something everyone in my family can ride and enjoy
10. Revolution (SFMM)- again, not the most thrilling ride, but i'm always fascinated by its history and truly being the "revolution" in roller coaster engineering
From Jonny Read
Posted December 1, 2007 at 7:11 AM
Oblivion - Alton Towers
Space Mountain:Mission 2 - Disneyland Paris
Nemesis - Alton Towers
Kraken - Seaworld Orlando
Expedition Everest - Disney's Animal Kingdom
Duelling Dragons - Universal Orlando
Pepsi-Max Big One - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Spinball Whizzer - Alton Towers
Big Dipper - Blackpool Pleasure Beach
California Screaming - Disney's California Adven.
1. Montu - BGA
2. ROS at Darien Lake.
3. Dueling Dragons - IOA
4. Krakken - SWO
5. Hulk - IOA
6. Beast - PKI *
7. MF - CP *
8. Kumba - BGA
9. Revenge of the Mummy - USF
10. Jack Rabbit - Seabreeze (sentimental reasons)
* I do not ride these anymore as I will no longer go to Cedar Fair Parks.
Can I ask why Bill, that you wont to CF parks?
I live about an hour from Cedar Point.
I have had a season pass for Cedar Fair parks for the last 5 years. Visiting Cedar Point and/or Geauga Lake every weekend.
After the way they handled the Geauga Lake closing I sent my pass back to them and told them that they had lost a customer.
I now have season passes for Darien Lake.
I will also be going to Dollywood, Hersheypark, and Kennywood. Parks that I either have not been to or have not been to in years. The only thing that I will miss is Kings Island's Beast.
Well, again, since I haven't ridden that many, my faves of the one's I HAVE ridden are as follows, in order of faves:
Loch Ness Monster--BGE--Just because. :)
Big Bad Wolf--BGE--although a bit too short for my taste it's still awesome! :)
Superman Krypton Coaster--SFFTX--Awesome Awesome Awesome!
Judge Roy Scream--SFOT.
Ultratwister--Astroworld, RIP :(.
Tony Hawk's Big Spin--SFFTx.
BTR--SFOG, SFOT, SFMM, etc.
Ark. Twister--Magic Springs.
Ozark Wildcat--Frontier City.
RR--SFMM--a bit too long for me. I like 'em short 'n sweet but great nonetheless!
Zingo--Bell's Amusement Park.
High Roller--LV Stratosphere Tower. RIP :(--Just because. :)
Canyon Blaster--LV Adventuredome Circus Circus.
I can't think of anymore right now, if I do, I'll add to it. :).
loch ness monster is horrible and i don't think that Tony hawks BS is even open until next season. And yes, i ment to say BS because it looks horrible.
loch ness is ok for the small waits they have, and tony haws bs in sf fiest texas opened this year
Rockin' Roller coaster (MGM) that name will never change for me
The Hulk (IOA)
Kraken (Sea World)
Shi Kra (BGA)
Dueling Dragons (IOA)
Ghost Rider (Knott's Berry Farms)
Tennessee Tornado (Dolly Wood)
Space Mountain (MK)
my top 10 are
1. Apollo's Chariot (BGE)
2. Nitro (SFGAv)
3. EL Toro (SFGAv)
4. Stormrunner (HP)
5. Alpinegiest (BGE)
6. Lightining Racer (HP)
7. Boulder Dash (Lake Compounce)
8. Medusa (SFGAv)
9. Great Bear (HP)
10. Comet ( Great Escape)
1. The Beast- KI
2. Thunderhead- Dollywood
3. Vertical Velocity- SFGA
4. Titan SFOT
5. Magnum XL 200 CP
6. Space Mountain- Disney
7. Mind Bender SFOG
8. Goliath SFOG
9. Raging Bull SFGA
10. Mr Freeze- SFOT
THese are all ones that I have ridden.
Eli why do you say Loch Ness is horrible? Loch Ness is GREAT! It's smooth & unique, first of it's kind (since Orient Express is gone, as far as I know the ONLY one of it's kind) & the wait time was like 30 min. or under 1 hr. Just because it's not outragously huge or has twists & turns, etc. etc. etc. doesn't mean it's not a good coaster. For an Arrow coaster, it's SMOOTH. Normally they're bad jerky or something else wrong w/older Arrows but this one is perfect! :) You don't hafta like it but I do.
From Tyler W.
Posted December 25, 2007 at 6:53 PM
I've never waited over 15 minutes for LNM.
How dare you talk bad about Nessie, lol. Nessie is one of the smoothest and coolest arrows out there, other than Tennesee Torndao at Dollywood.
Amen. Nessie is a living legend. It is the best arrow coaster around and it withstood the test of time so far. Unlike another another arrow that used to be at BGE. cough* cough* Drachen Fire cough* cough*.
From Tyler W.
Posted December 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM
I wish I could have had a chance to ride Drachen Fire, I was too young.
I was to young also but from what I heard that coaster was rough as hell. But it had one of the most unique designs ever.
Okay, I admit I was totally wrong. I had a bad temper that day. I think that for an ARROW coaster, it was smooth. It still had way more whiplash than I like. The part that amazed me the most was the flips. The were really smooth. I also couldn't enjoy nessie that much because I had to wait 45 minutes the only time I rode it. I am very happy that nessie has something to do with BGE, and I didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings. Especially yours, Nessie. I rode it with my brother Gabe, who started this discussion, and he loved it. One thing he liked the best was that there were no seatbelts, you just lock into place. He thought the helix in the tunnel was sweet!
Whiplash?? What do you expect even the smoothest Aroww's have whiplash. Its a Frigin Arrow.
Whiplash?? What do you expect even the smoothest Aroww's have whiplash. Its a Frigin Arrow.
You answered twice! Duh, everyone has whiplash! Arrow just isn't very smooth!
I think I am one of the few people in the world who loved Drachen Fire. It was my favorite coaster, ever. I still feel sad when I go by the area where the dragon lived. It could be a little rough, but once you knew where the rough parts were - the rest was pure heaven. Sigh....
From DV M
Posted January 2, 2008 at 2:52 PM
There is another Arrow missing from nearly every list...Magnum XL200 is still one of the best coaster experiences out there...especially row 3. Nessie is good. Tennessee Tornado is good. Magnum is elite. My list would also include mostly LIM/LSM/Hydraulic Launch (Volcano, Flight of Fear, TTD, Stormrunner, Maverick), Inverted (Alpinegeist is the best imo) and a few special sitdowns (MF, Apollo's Chariot). I throw in Everest for the theming.
Kevin (or whoever rode voyage) I see that you have voyage #1. I love woodies, but have not ridden many of the good ones. Is Holiday World worth a long trip.
2. Millenium Force
5. Alpengeist (although it been a while since I've ridden it. (I can't handle too many loops any more)
8. Space mountain
9. Magnum xl
I love the Yeti on Everest, but I dont really like the coaster. (plus I get dizzy when you go backwards)
From steve lee
Posted January 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM
Robert (miller), I would say Holiday World is absolutely worth a visit as long as you manage to score another park or two while you're at it. Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom, while not much of a park, is about an hour away (and I recommend spending the night in Louisville anyway. There's NOTHING to do in Santa Claus other than Holiday World).
If you're driving, you can always swing by Beech Bend. It's a smaller park, but Kentucky Rumbler is a really good wood coaster (and their spinning mouse is SICK).
If you need more, King's Island is about an hour and 45 minutes from Louisville, or you can delve deeper into Indiana and hit up Indiana Beach (which I've heard mostly good things about, though oddly not from anyone here. Go figure).
So, yeah. I'd totally say it's worth a longer trip.
Hey Robert; Alpengeist isn't rough. All the loops are smooth except for the cobra roll. It's a little rough, but more than you think it would be. The Immelman is extremely smooth and in my opinion the best part.
If it's changed since you've been there/\
Steve knows his stuff. If you like wooden coasters Holiday World has the best 3 punch combo out there Raven and Legend are also very good. It's probably even better known for it's water park. I only went for an afternoon visit and I was able to ride each of these coasters 7 or 8 times each. I hit all of the parks that Steve mentioned in addition to Holiday World. King's Island, Beech Bend, and Kentucky Kingdom are quite close together. Indiana Beach is a bit further away, but it worth a visit to see space maximization at its finest.
Here's my top 6:
1. Magnum XL 200, Cedar Point, OH
2. Millenium Force, Cedar Point, OH
3. Pheonix, Knoebels, PA
4. Superman, Six Flags Darien Lake, NY
5. Top Thrill Dragster, Cedar Point, OH
6. Thunderbolt, Kennywood, PA
Pheonix is AWESOME!
I haven't been to Darien Lake, but I've ridden the mirror image of it at SF America.
I accept your apology Eli, on behalf of Nessie & her fans of course! :) I didn't notice any whiplash on her though. Where did you sit? There's really not much there to get whiplash from.
I actually sat in the 2nd row.
I sat in second car back seat. Very strange.
I guess I'm just sort of strict in the whiplash way. I've only ridden, like, about 4 arrow coasters anyway.
1. Millennium Force (duh)
2. Maverick ( right behind him )
3. TTD ( lap bars )
4. El Toro
5. Magnum ( right on the beach )
1.Top Thrill Dragster
3.Magnum XL 200
4.Rockin roller coaster
I haven't done one of these in a while, and it's probably changed a bit since the last time I thought about it.
1. Top Thrill Dragster-Yes, it's not as big as Kingda Ka, but it's smoother and the views from the top are WAY better.
2. Alpengeist-I still cannot get enough of this coaster. The cobra roll from the back left seat is unmatched in intensity on any other coaster I've ridden.
3. Montu-I rode it again a few months ago, and it's moved up a bit on my list, probably because I think the trims have been softened a bit going into the batwing and during the MCBR.
4. Kraken-Easily the best floorless coaster in the world. Only Superman: Krypton Coaster comes close.
5. Millenium Force-That first drop is unparalelled, and there's nothing like eating bugs for dinner on Millenium Island.
6. Phoenix-I'm definitely a steel coaster fan, but this woodie is smoother than a lot of steel coasters.
7. Apollo's Chariot-I know Nitro is bigger and faster, and pulls more g's, but the world's first B&M hyper is my favorite because of the neverending and uninterupted airtime.
8. Phantom's Revenge-The best second drop in the world, STILL.
9. X-It's been a few years since I've ridden it, but I still fondly remember it, and look forward to riding it again with it's new trains and special effects.
10. Revenge of the Mummy-I just can never get enough of this coaster, and the theming is spot-on.
1. Incredible Hulk (IOA)
2. Mellenium Force (CP)
3. Shiekra (BGA)
4. Superman (SFA)the one in MD.
5. Rock'n Rollercoaster (DHS)
6. Dueling Dragons (IOA)
7. Mummy Returns (USF)
8. Valcano (PKD)
9. Mantis (CP)
10.Flight of Fear (PKD)
Good lists guys.......had to think a bit about my faves, but here;s my top 11 (couldnt quite get it down to the 10)
1. Hulk – IOA
2. California Screamin – DCA
3. Kraken – SWF
4. Nemesis – Alton Towers
5. Silver Bullet – Knotts Berry Farm
6. Duelling Dragons – IOA
7. Kumba – BGA
8. Dragon Khan – Port Aventura
9. Rock N Rollercoaster – MGM
10. Montu – BGA
11. Expedition Everest - AK
I don't know how Alpie could be "rough". It's a B&M plus it's an invert. I've never found any of those 'rough'. The cobra roll popped me up off my seat a bit but it wasn't rough to me anyway.
For me, that part was just quick for some reason
1. Nitro - SFGAdv
2. Magnum XL200 - CP
3. El Toro - SFGAdv
4. Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
5. Titan - SFoT
5. Raptor - CP
6. Dueling Dragons - IoA
6. Maverick - CP
7. Steel Force - Dorney
7. Kingda Ka - SFGAdv
8. Texas Giant - SFoT
8. Top Thrill Dragster - CP
9. Cyclone - Astroland
9. Superman Krypton Coaster - SFFT
10. Steel Eel - SW-SA
10. Powder Keg - Silver Dollar City
(sorry, i just couldn't pick only 10)
From DYLAN 5
Posted July 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM
#1 Hulk ( THE BEST ROLLER COASTER IN THE WORLD )
Oops! Forgot about Hulk! I'd have to squeeze him in just after Maverick.
1. Kraken (SeaWorld Orlando)
2. SheiKra (BGA)
3. Rock 'n' Rollercoaster (DHS/WDS)
4. Big Thunder Mountain (DLP)
5. Space Mountain: Mission 2(DLP)
6. Montu (BGA)
7. Gwazi (BGA)
8. Incredible Hulk Coaster(IOA)
9. Dueling Dragons (IOA)
10. Revenge of the Mummy (USF)
Ok this thread was started in 2007 so mine have changed a bit.
2. el toro
3. superman UF (SFgradv.)
4. Apollos Chariot
9. Tenessee Tornado
10.Swamp fox(Family kingdom)
I've only ever been to florida themeparks and english themeparks so my list is not gonna be very impressive
1.Duelling Dragons (IOA)
2.Revenge of the Mummy (USO)
5.The Hulk (IOA)
6.Air (Alton Towers)
7.Expedition Everest (AK)
8.Rita queen of speed (AT)
9.Stealth (Thorpe park)
Here's mine. It's only tempoaray. So I will post an update later.
1. Apollo's Chariot-BGE
2. El Toro-SFGAdv
4. Boulder Dash-Lake Compounce
5. Stormrunner- Hershey Park
7. Lighting Racer- Hershey Park
8. Comet- The Great Escape
10.Kingda Ka- SFGAdv
Farenhiet will get into this countdown by Sunday.
From Brian D
Posted July 13, 2008 at 9:47 AM
I don't particularly have a top 10. I can, however, safely say that my top 2 favorite rides are:
1. X (going on X2 in August)- SFMM
2. El Toro- SFGAdv
Oh, and the Teacups and Spider are up there too.
From Nick S
Posted July 13, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Not my final list but my best so far...
1. El Toro- SFGAdv
2. Nitro- SFGAdv
3. Expedition Everest- AK
4. Lightning Racer- HP
5. Revenge of the Mummy- USF
6. Kingda Ka- SFGAdv
7. Thunderbolt- Kennywood
8. Space Mountain- MK
9. Medusa- SFGAdv
10. Great White- Morey's Piers
From steve lee
Posted July 13, 2008 at 8:21 PM
I can't really think up a true top ten list, but I wanted to take a moment to commend Christy for recognizing the quality of Swamp Fox at Myrtle Beach. The park it's in is about as ghetto as you can possibly get, but that coaster has got some amazing force behind it (I haven't been on it in a year or two, so I don't know how it's been holding up).
If anyone goes to Hard Rock Park, be sure to save an hour or two to head over to Family Kingdom. It costs about five bucks to ride Swamp Fox and is totally worth it (ACE members get a discount, as well).
In alphabetical order:
Desperado-Buffalo Bill's Casino, Primm, NV
Giant Dipper-Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Revenge of the Mummy-USO
One day I'll visit those mid-west parks, and the list will change.
My new top 10 would be something like
1.Top Thrill Dragster - love the launch and speed
2.Millennium Force - height & drop, speed, air-time
3.Maverick - inversions and launch were really imperssive
4.Rockin Roller Coaster (Areosmith) (WDW) Great Coaster
5.Voyage - really is the best wooden roller coaster
6.Wicked Twister - hieght, speed, twist
7.Magnum Xl - built in 1989 and still the one of the best
8.mission space (WDW) force, and the technology used to biuld this is unreal
9.Raptor - great inverted coaster
10.Behemoth - seating is great and gives you a great view, and is a pretty good coaster in general.
Thanks Steve, It used to be my all time favorite woodie until I rode el toro. hehe
My Top 12 Coasters (based on Thrill/Fun of the ride, no credit for theme--Sorry Disney!)
1. X (Six Flags Magic Mtn)
2. Raging Bull (Six Flags Great America)
3. Xcelerator (Knotts berry farms)
4. Hulk (Universal Island of Adventure)
5. Goliath / Titan (Six Flags Magic Mtn / Six Flags Ovr Texas)**
6. Tatsu (Six Flags Magic Mtn)
7. Dueling Dragons (Universal Island of Adventure)
8. Montu (Busch Gardens Africa)
9. The Mummy (Univesal Studios Hollywood)***
10. Shiekra (Busch Gardens Africa)
11. Medusa (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom)
12. Top Gun (California Great America)*
Could not narrow my list to only 10!
NOTE: I have not been to many of the Great Coaster parks in the Midwest or Northeast.
* Lived 5 minutes from the park for 6 yrs--rode this ride too many times to leave it off the list.
** Same exact ride--The weather is better in California!!
*** Florida version is great too, however!
My Park List includes:
Busch Gardens Africa
Six Flags Magic Mtn
Six Flags Great America
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
Six Flags Magic Mtn
Six Flags St Louis
Six Flags Over Texas
Six Flags Over Georgia
Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Universal Studios Hollywood
Universal Studios Florida
Universal Studios Island of Adventure
California Great America (formerly Paramount Great America)
Worlds of Fun
Knott's Berry Farms
WDW Disney Studios
WDW Magic Kingdom
WDW Animal Kingdom
Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Seaworld San Antonio
Seaworld San Diego
OK- Here goes!
1.Millennium Force - Cedar Point
2.Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Europe
3.Great Bear* - Hersheypark
4.The Beast - Kings Island
5.Hades - Mt. Olympus Theme Park
6.Montu - Busch Gardens Africa
7.The Phoenix - Knoebels
8(t).Kumba - Busch Gardens Africa
8(t).Flight of Fear - Kings Island
9(t).Dominator - Geauga Lake**
9(t).Phantom's Revenge - Kennywood
10.Fahrenheit - Hersheypark
Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Europe
Griffon - Busch Gardens Europe
SheiKra - Busch Gardens Africa
Mantis - Cedar Point
Raptor - Cedar Point
Magnum XL 200 - Cedar Point
Wicked Twister - Cedar Point
Hydra - Dorney Park
Talon - Dorney Park
Voodoo - Dorney Park
Storm Runner - Hersheypark
*Ridden over 200 times, so it had to be on this list!
** Rest in Peace, Geauga Lake. Except for Double Loop. OW! And the Villain. OW!
1-Super Man-Six Flags New England
3-Millennium Force-Cedar Point
5-Mean Streak "before breaks were added"-Cedar Point
6-Montu-Busch Gardens Tampa
7-Cyclone-Six Flags New England
9-Top Thrill Dragster-Cedar point
10-Mantis-Cedar Point-Cedar Point
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.