Kings Dominion TR 8/19/08
My great Day at the park!
I had a awsome day at Kings Dominion today. The park was literally empty we got to ride every coaster we wanted to ride at least twice. The park was better kept then I expected too. It was very clean and the staff was awsome. They looked happy. Overall it was a great day. Now on to the coasters.
1. Dominator 10/10- I rode this a total of eight times today. Everytime was great especially the front row. As far as B&M' go this was definatly the most intense. The front row was just amazing. One thing I did notice is this coaster has a mild case of the B&M rattle
2. Anaconda 7/10- I am a bit biased because I love Arrows. Overall not a bad ride and it really was not that rough.
3. Backlot stunt coaster 7/10- This was a neat little coaster. The launch was fun and the helix was intense.
4. Volcano 9.8/10- OMG. This ride was freakin amazing. Great themeing also. The only beef I had with it was that it broke down 3 times throughout the day and it also did not open with the park.
5. Avalanch 5/10- Fun Bobsled, there was no wait so it was worth it.
6. FOF 8/10- I was a little let down by this ride. It was not as intense as I thought it would be and also it was a little rough. But I rode this after Volcano so I guess I was expecting too much.
7. Rebel Yell 6/10- Ouchie and no airtime.
8. Richochet- 5/10- Your run of the mill Wild mouse.
9. Hurler 6/10- Rougher than Rebel Yell but had more airtime.
10. Grizzly 7/10- THis was the best woodie in the park. But that is not saying much. It had a nice setting but it really did not execut to potential.
11. Shockwave 6/10- Now I know why they call these Togo death machines.
As you can see I was a little disapointed with the parks wooden coaster collection, but overall I loved the park in general.
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
Thanks for the detailed TR. I noticed rebel yell is getting rougher and rougher every year. Rebel yell used to not be rough at all in years past. Yes hurler is rough as crap, but I love the airtime on it. Grizzley-Have you ever rode it at night? It is insane at night, you cant see anything but woods, it is a must at night. Volcano is good but just too short. Did you ride Drop zone or The crypt?
I made the trip up to KD a few weeks ago. I hadn't been in years.
I was actually disappointed in Dominator. I thought it was well behind the big 3 at BGE as far as thrills.
I think Volcano is the best coaster they have, as far as thrills and theming.
I couldn't agree more on the wooden coasters. After riding the Hurler, I felt like I went through a 10 round boxing match. I think they should tear it down. Pretty bland and you basically walk down this uninspired pathway to get to it.
^ Hell Yes. Why is the line for Hurler so long? I also agree that Dominator is behind the big three at BGe but it is still a great ride. I did not get a chance to ride Grizzly at night because the park closed at 8.
Justin the line for Hurler is never long. 1 train wait at the most and thats if you want front otherwise its a walkon. At least not the days that I've been, and Ive been to KD alot this year. Now what I dont understand is why do you have to walk so far to get to the station is beyond me.
Thanks for posting, Justin. Did you use my advise (ride Volcano in the front after somewhere else and then you can't sit anywhere but the front again)? I'll make sure to ride Dominator in the front (maybe, but probably) when I will probably go on Friday. If I go, I will post a TR and it will be up by Saturday.
Yes, Hurler is rough... I bet you you would LOVE Rebel Yell if it still had backwards... Christy, was Rebel yell smoother last year than this year? I have not been able to ride at night on Grizzly either, but if I go Friday, it's open 'till 10:00.
Justin, I bet it was a good day for nice theme park weather. Two hours away, it was a clear sky almost the whole day. Live long with Volcano! (Just kidding, I made it up on the spot.)
Thats what I meant Christy. Why is the line so long to get to the station. I don't think that line has ever been filled...ever. I didn't get to ride Volcano in the front only in the second and last row. Volcano currently sits at #9 on my top 10 coasters. Dominator is definatly the best ride in the park.
Eli- Rebel yell was smoother last year IMO. It was really smooth in 2006. Its just getting horrible now and its like a up and down kind of rough, just real bumpy.
Augh, that sucks, christy. Justin, you missed out on some first-class stuff!
Christy your definatly right about Rebel Yell being bumpy. It felt like I was riding a horse! Eli I thought Volcano was first class even without sitting in the front. It is a very,very good ride.
Anybody know when the schools start back around KD area?
From J Whetzel
Posted August 21, 2008 at 9:44 AM
Next week or the week after Christy.
No, Christy, but in my area, I THINK they start on.... tuesday, or something. I don't know if that helps or not.
All right, I am DEFINATELY going to KD next Saturday. Sorry about the mix up, but I am going no matter what.
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.