"I'm thinking of a ride....."A trivia challenge....
From Jeff Elliott1. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s an outdoor ride yet disturbingly dark out and back. This ride speaks to the absolute caverns of mythology from Europe. Gravity factors in heavily to this ride.
Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:05 PM
2. I’m thinking of a ride. If you lose, the world is overrun by little girls with science books.
3. I’m thinking of a ride. I don’t want to get on a soapbox here, but they took out a ride very dear to my heart to put in terrible ride that couldn’t be opened when the wind was blowing, and then this ride. The name of the ride is accurate….you go fast quickly.
4. I’m thinking of a ride. It used to be called dueling, but now it doesn’t even do that anymore.
5. I’m thinking of a ride. I don’t know whose cornball idea it was to take an electric car ride and make a roller coaster out of it. But the good news is that the seats are configured so that when you puke you get someone.
6. I’m thinking of a ride. Now I’m thinking of chocolate. Wanna race?
7. I’m thinking of a ride. No happy ending. It’s hot.
8. I’m thinking of a ride. It makes my car ride to Plymouth seem kinda tame.
9. I’m thinking of a ride. Pee Wee was the best driver.
10. I’m thinking of a ride. His son was bigger, but died.
11. I’m thinking of a ride. Elvis’s favorite, but not Gaylord’s.
12. I’m thinking of a ride. I don’t approve of shooting spotted cats.
13. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s Mickey’s, but it’s really Donald’s.
14. I’m thinking of a ride. Dig a hole, insert coaster, add blood. Simple, but still makes Batman jealous.
15. I’m thinking of a ride. 205ft tall, but no one can see it.
16. I’m thinking of a ride. Rack and pinion mechanisms = exhilarating and exciting.
17. I’m thinking of a ride. Designed to look like a wooden coaster…with a launch.
18. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s getting evicted. Moving to Africa.
19. I’m thinking of a ride. Great Scott, I can’t believe they took this out for a cartoon.
20. I’m thinking of a ride. Its name means Spirit of the Alps.
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
From Karly TenneyDragon Challenge???
Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM
From Karly TenneyExpedition Everest?
Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM
From Karly TenneyYes definitely it's Expedition Everest!!
Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:51 PM
From Robert Niles4. Dragon Challenge
Posted October 18, 2012 at 2:52 PM
12. Cheetah Hunt
13. Mickey's PhilharMagic
17. California Screamin'
From Michael T19) Back to the future the ride
Posted October 18, 2012 at 3:14 PM
From Jay R.6) Lighting Racer
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:30 PM
From Tim W3. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:13 PM
18. Festival of the Lion King
From Jeff ElliottJay R is at 50%
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Everyone else is right......although there is no Expedition Everest.
......on my cell phone......keeping it short........will check back in later.......
I had a non-roller coaster friend guess #2 right.....so it is not that tough.....
From Jay R.This is tough!!! I took out Superman, so now I'm not sure which one of mine is incorrect....hmmm. I'll just keep guessing the other ones!
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:37 PM
1) Dr. Doom
2) Despicable Me
From Mike Gallagher10. The Beast
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:45 PM
11. Zippin' Pippin
From Jeff ElliottMike is correct on both.
Posted October 18, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Jay R is wrong on both......sorry......keep guessing!
From Jay R.Noooo!!!! Back to my random guessing!
Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
From AJ HummelThis is a fun one. Let's see how good my guesses are.
Posted October 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM
2. Men in Black Alien Attack at Universal Studios Florida
3. Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm
5. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain at Indiana Beach
7. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland
8. Voyage at Holiday World
14. Nemesis at Alton Towers
Those which I believe others already got correct (4, 6, 10-13, 15-20) or I have honestly no idea (1&9) are omitted.
From Dominick D1. Saw The Ride
Posted October 18, 2012 at 6:31 PM
9. Star Tours (C'mon this was an easy one!)
20. Disco Yeti Revue
From Jeff Elliott1 is incorrect......it looks like the others have been guessed.....
Posted October 18, 2012 at 7:57 PM
There is a bunch of information in question 1.....once you have the right answer it will all make sense......here is a hint.....it is an out and back roller coaster......
From Dominick DI got it!
Posted October 18, 2012 at 8:17 PM
From Jeff ElliottI'm not quite seeing the mythology of that answer....and Verbolten is not an out and back coaster.....
Posted October 18, 2012 at 8:49 PM
From AJ HummelI would guess Apollo's Chariot for #1, but that seems too obvious and not quite right. Although it's only partially an out and back, I'm guessing it's...
Posted October 18, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Hades at Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park
From Jeff Elliott1. Hades @ Mt. Olympus – It is an out and back wooden roller coaster that goes into a long dark cave under the parking lot. Hades is definitely European mythology, Greek actually. Gravity Group built it. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
Posted October 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM
2. Men In Black: Alien Attack @ Universal Studios Florida - I don’t know if it is mentioned in the ride (I think it is) but it is certainly mentioned in the first movie on the gun range. A little girl with science books, completely inappropriate reading for her age. It’s dangerous. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
3. Xcelerator @ Knott’s Berry Farm - The Soapbox Racers was on the spot where Xcelerator is sitting now. It was then replaced by the complete failure Windjammer roller coaster that indeed could not open when the wind was blowing and was later torn down and the company sued. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
4. Dragon Challenge @ Islands of Adventure – Used to be the Dueling Dragons pre-Potter and now they don’t duel because people were getting hurt by objects flying from the other train. First Correct Answer: I think Karly Tenney got this first, but didn’t label her answer, so I have to award it to Robert Niles
5. Lost Coaster of Superstition Mountain @ Indiana Beach – They took a pretty lame electric car ride and had CCI rip out the electric track and replace the entire thing with a roller coaster, leaving the mountain and most of the tunnels intact. They still have some of the old set pieces of the electric cars in place if you look carefully. The way the car is setup, four people are in each car, two riding backwards and two riding forward with so little space that your knees are grinding into the other people in the car. The roller coaster has some nasty whipping turns that make it a one of a kind roller coaster. Hurling on the coaster is common, and the way the car is setup, you will hit someone in the car with you. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
6. Lightening Racer @ Hersheypark – I thought it was so cool when I arrived in Hershey that you could smell the chocolate in the air. The Lightening Racer is not only a wonderful coaster, it is the only racing coaster at the park. First Correct Answer: Jay R.
7. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride @ Disneyland – It is one of three rides that don’t have a happy ending. You end up in Hell. It is hot there. First Correct Answer: I think Tim W got this, but mislabeled his entry, so I have to award it to AJ Hummel
8. The Voyage @ Holiday World – Plymouth is where the pilgrims landed, if there trip was anything like the coaster The Voyage, I don’t think many people would have thought it was a very good idea to come here. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
9. Star Tours (The Original) @ Various Disney parks – Paul Ruben, aka PeeWee Herman did the voice of Rex, the pilot of the original Star Tours. First Correct Answer: Dominick D
10. Beast @ Kings Island – RIP Son of Beast, they are tearing it down right now. First Correct Answer: Mike Gallagher
11. Zippin Pippin – Rumored to be Elvis’s favorite roller coaster that Gaylord Hotels torn down when they shut down Libertyland. Zippin Pippen was rebuilt at Bay Beach in Green Bay and can still be enjoyed today. First Correct Answer: Mike Gallagher
12. Cheetah Hunt @ Busch Gardens Tampa – An unfortunate name that sounds like you are out to kill Cheetahs. First Correct Answer: Robert Niles
13. Mickey’s PhilharMagic @ Disney’s Magic Kingdom – It says in the title that it is Mickey’s ride, but the main character of the ride is Donald. First Correct Answer: Robert Niles
14. Nemesis @ Alton Towers – They had to dig a hole to put in the roller coaster because of the height restrictions of the park. As a theming element, they have waterfalls and running water that they dyed red. The reference to Batman is because all of the Batman suspended coasters were also done by B&M yet Nemesis is usually the highest rated of the suspended coasters. First Correct Answer: AJ Hummel
15. Stealth @ Thorpe Park – It is that tall, but if it is stealthy, you can’t see it…..a little joke…. First Correct Answer: Tim W
16. X2 @ Six Flags Magic Mountain – Rack and pinion is how they make the seats spin. X-hilarating and X-citing = X2. First Correct Answer: Jay R
17. California Screamin’ @ California Adventure – They went out of their way to make it look like an old school wooden roller coaster and then put a launch on it…..and then a loop….. First Correct Answer: Robert Niles
18. Festival of the Lion King @ Disney’s Animal Kingdom – The Lion King is getting moved to the Africa section of the park to make room for Avatar. First Correct Answer: Tim W
19. Back to the Future: The Ride @ Universal parks – Great Scott was Doc Brown’s favorite saying, and they put the Simpsons in its place. First Correct Answer: Michael T
20. Alpengeist @ Busch Gardens Williamsburg – Apparently Robert Niles knows his German. First Correct Answer: Robert Niles
I really appreciate how the initial people who probably knew several more answers than what they submitted only put in a couple to allow everyone else to play along (not that Dom didn’t do an amazing job on his answer on the other trivia thread). If we are having fun, I will attempt to come up with another set of these, possibly tomorrow (Friday) or whenever I have 20 that I can release on you.
From N BMIB....Her name is "little" Tiffany and she was holding a quantum physics book.... didn't have to look that one up.
Posted October 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM
From Matt BabiakJeff, maybe if you did this game by email, it would allow people to answer more and allow late responders to still have fun with the game. But, it's your choice. I'm just kind of disappointed that answers were made public 8 hours after the start, and I never got a chance to participate.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:53 AM
From Dominick DI was gone for 3 hours and this came out of nowhere. I can't wait for the next one, good job!
Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:48 AM
From Mike GallagherI have an idea for a quiz...not sure when I'll have time to do it, though. Jeff, if you want to "profile message" me, I'll tell you my idea, and if you want to run with it, I won't tackle you for a loss.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM
From Christopher Sturniolo1. Journey to Atlantis
Posted October 20, 2012 at 8:08 AM
2. Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem
4. Dragon Challenge
6. Lightning Racer
7. Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
9. Star Tours
10. The Beast
12. Cheetah Hunt
13. Mickey’s PhilharMagic
17. California Screamin’
19. Back to the Future: The Ride
20. Matterhorn Bobsleds
From Mike GallagherI'm sorry..it just strikes me funny that Christopher posted his answers after Jeff gave the correct answers, and still was incorrect on several.
Posted October 21, 2012 at 9:12 AM
I'm hoping Christopher gave his answers based on seeing only the original post, and none of the answers. Justify my faith in you, Christopher!!
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.
Theme Park Insider Guidebooks
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Other Top International Parks
Readers' Top Themed Rides
Top Roller Coasters
Top Theme Park Shows
Features, News and Advice
2013 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2012 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2011 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2010 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2009 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2008 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2007 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2006 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2005 Blog PostsDec.
2004-2005Staff column archive