I'm thinking of a ride....... Round 2A Trivia Challenge....Round 2.....With a secret submittal so more people can play.
From Jeff ElliottApparently we actually need to have a rule here.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
This new rule is to click on my profile and secretly email your answers to me. Apparently this allows me to have a good laugh at your expense and to deride the poor quality of your answers, without having to show that you were pretty close on most of your guesses. Thanks for the rule suggestion Matt!
....and it also lets more people play, but I’m sure that is a secondary consideration.
Here is a hint for this round. If in doubt, think international.
And another hint: ride = attraction
1. I’m thinking of a ride. Why are the bears controlling the ride? And where did they get high explosives from?
2. I’m thinking of a ride. It was the fastest coaster in the world for quite a while. It seems to have misplaced an inversion or two.
3. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s almost exactly like Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, but I’m afraid of the dark.
4. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s the only ride that ever continued to scare me even after the second ride. I call it the 6-man flying buoy.
5. I’m thinking of a ride. It’s kinda weird that a murderer gets their own roller coaster, even if they killed the original batman.
6. I’m thinking of a ride. A ride where you read a book, get knocked around by stuffed animals, and ride around in a bucket.
7. I’m thinking of a ride. KaBoom! Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Turn. Turn. Brake. Brake. Brake. Brake. Turn. Brake. Brake. Brake. Stop.
8. I’m thinking of a ride. Five movies, a roller coaster, then two more movies.
9. I’m thinking of a ride. It is one of the top rated water rides and burning to be better.
10. I’m thinking of a ride. Get your Fanta off my SW4.
11. I’m thinking of a ride. It is a great big whale of a ride.
12. I’m thinking of a ride. It has Idey, Ody, Major and Minor Domo, and another friend whose name can’t be said in polite company.
13. I’m thinking of a ride. If I were a zombie, this would be my favorite ride. It would give me quite the buzzy in the golden dome.
14. I’m thinking of a ride. They have the packing crates ready because they might move it.
15. I’m thinking of a ride. Or actually a show featuring Natasha, Martha, Chrissy, Oliver, Luna, Atla, and Imaq.
16. I’m thinking of a ride. It is one of the choose your music rides. The main selections are by Bon Jovi, Eminem, The Beatles, Dreams Come True, and Kobukuro.
17. I’m thinking of a ride. There’s no place to hide. Your souls are mine.
18. I’m thinking of a ride. It is not often that winning earns you a coupon to bypass a line at someplace outside of the park.
19. I’m thinking of a ride. It was the tallest and fastest complete circuit roller coaster for about 2-1/2 months. It was later awarded the Miss Congeniality prize for best personality.
20. I’m thinking of a ride. If you had left the Shiriki Utundu alone, none of this would have happened.
Comments in chronological order. Most recent at the bottom. Scroll down to respond.
From Jeff ElliottPlease let me know if you have submitted answers, so I know to go pull my email.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:57 AM
From Andrew DoughertySent some for # 1,2,5,7,17.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM
From Mike GallagherI sent one...:(
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM
From Jeff ElliottAndrew Dougherty
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM
2 Correct out of 6 submitted.
From Dominick DI submitted answers for:
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
From Jeff ElliottDominick D
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM
2 Correct out of 8 submitted.
From Mike GallagherOn two quizzes, Im batting 1.000! Granted, I had only 3 at bats. But I'm doing a helluva lot better than the Yankees did! :)
Posted October 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM
From Jay R.Ouch Mike!! The Yankees almost had it..., sorta, kinda if you, squint hard enough.......nevermind
Posted October 19, 2012 at 1:49 PM
From Mike GallagherYeah, Jay..Nevermind. Nirvana said it best. But yours was pretty good. I despise the Yankees, but I wasn't even enjoying this. It was like shooting fish in a barrel. They were barely even competitive.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM
From Dominick DResubmitted my answer for 20.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM
From Jeff ElliottDom's new answer to 20 is correct.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:19 PM
From Andrew DoughertyWich ones did I get? Which numbers? And I re entered one I think was wrong.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:23 PM
From Dominick DTrying my luck with 15.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM
From AJ HummelI submitted an answer for everything I'm not completely clueless on. We'll see how I did this time.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:32 PM
From Jeff ElliottDom is wrong on 15....but on the right track.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM
From Jeff ElliottWould it be helpful to know which ones you missed? Or does that take some of the fun out of it?
Posted October 19, 2012 at 2:38 PM
Nevermind.....I think the answer to that question is yes....
From Jeff ElliottCorrectly answered:
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Mike Gallagher - 2
From Dominick DSo technically so far I only won one (20). I'm trying 15 again, but that's it for 15 if I lose. I also submitted 12, 13, and a resubmitted 16.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:01 PM
From Jeff ElliottJim Koehl - 1, 9, 11, 14
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM
4 Correct out of 6 submitted.
From Jay R.These are too hard for me, I'll wait for round 3!
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:09 PM
From Dominick DStill have 5,6,12,15, and 18 unguessed. Any takers? (For the record I don't know those answers, so I won't take them from you)
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:16 PM
From Jay R.Sent an answer for #15
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM
From AJ HummelI guessed at 6 the first time, and I just tried again. Can't figure the other ones out, however.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM
From David L.I'm pretty sure I have 12, 15, and 18...
Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM
From Chad H(removed, didn't see the PM thing)
Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM
From Andrew DoughertyPretty sure I just got 15
Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:52 PM
From Andrew DoughertyAnd I put a 100% longshot guess for 12.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM
From Jeff ElliottUpdated Scores!!
Posted October 19, 2012 at 5:02 PM
Mike Gallagher - 2
The only one that hasn’t been guessed correctly is #5. Hint: it is not a Batman ride.
From Dominick DI'm trying 5.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM
From Jay R.I'm trying 5 as well........
Posted October 19, 2012 at 5:42 PM
From Andrew Dougherty#5. I also guessed, someone's eventually gonna get it.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 5:51 PM
From Andrew DoughertyGoing nuts trying to get #5. Has anyone gotten it yet?
Posted October 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM
From Dominick DI guessed Wrhxl Bvgr Ivefv.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 7:00 PM
From Karly TenneyI guessed Ha not going to tell!
Posted October 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM
From Jeff ElliottNo one has guessed it yet.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Just so everyone has the same hints. #5 has nothing to do with Batman. There is a reason why it was not capitalized (batman). The roller coaster is not in the United States, it is in Europe. Someone found an old Universal walkthrough attraction whose name was about 90% of the way there and definately the right idea....but this is a roller coaster.
I didn't think this one was that hard....it will seem pretty obvious once you know the answer.
If by Saturday afternoon no one has got it yet, I give you permission to discuss it here to get a group brainstorm going to see if you guys can crack it.
From AJ HummelI think I figured out what #5 is, but since I've already guessed over half of them and gotten a few nobody else has, I'll give others the chance to figure it out. I'll just say that for those who don't know many international coasters, rcdb.com is your friend.
Posted October 19, 2012 at 11:32 PM
From Christopher Sturniolo
Posted October 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM
From Jeff ElliottChristopher Sturniolo
Posted October 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM
4 Correct out of 12 submitted.
Correct answers: 1, 12, 17, 20
From Jeff ElliottSo who was the original bat/man?
Posted October 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM
It starts with a "D" and there are many books and movies named after him....
From Jeff ElliottJames Trexen just got #5!!
Posted October 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Mike Gallagher - 2
From Jeff ElliottUpdated Scores:
Posted October 20, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Thanks for playing!
From Jeff Elliottoops....double post.....
Posted October 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM
From Karly TenneyHey mike are you a member of TPR?
Posted October 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM
From Karly TenneyAnd also to Jeff do you know if TPA is coming back in Jan.
Posted October 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM
From Mike GallagherNo, Karly, I'm not. I participate only on this and two other sites, both of which are geared more toward roller coasters specifically.
Posted October 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM
I can honestly say I've never even visited TPR, although I've seen its creator/moderator on various programs.
From Jeff ElliottUpdated Scores:
Posted October 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM
Mike Gallagher - 2
We have a race!
From Karly TenneyWhat are those other sites mike?
Posted October 21, 2012 at 1:28 PM
From Dominick DAJ is missing two of the easiest answers (David has them already). Are we allowed to give hints?
Posted October 21, 2012 at 1:30 PM
From Mike GallagherKarly, I'd rather not mention them on here, and I don't think a message through your profile works for you. But if you search "beastmaster roller coaster" that may help.
Posted October 21, 2012 at 1:53 PM
From Dominick DI see you Mike ;)
Posted October 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM
From Mike GallagherYou're not supposed to see me! I'm wearing camo! (or my Invisibility Cloak, take your pick..)
Posted October 21, 2012 at 3:28 PM
From Karly TenneyOk thanks Mike I see what you are saying and I don't blame you for not mentioning it outright and Dominick D you can see mike! ;)
Posted October 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM
From Jeff ElliottReady for Round 3?
Posted October 21, 2012 at 9:22 PM
And answers to Round 2?
From AJ Hummel^I'm ready. I sent one more guess for this round, but I'm stumped on the other three I still haven't got. I really want to know what they are, even though I'll probably be kicking myself afterward.
Posted October 21, 2012 at 10:52 PM
From Mike GallagherBring 'em on, Jeff.
Posted October 22, 2012 at 3:13 AM
From Christopher SturnioloAre you going to reveal the answers?
Posted October 22, 2012 at 5:28 AM
From Dominick DBring it on
Posted October 22, 2012 at 5:37 AM
From Jeff ElliottThe new questions are ready to go.....
Posted October 22, 2012 at 6:44 AM
I will work on the previous answers right after I post the new questions (an hour?).
.....and AJ is correct on #8....
From Jeff Elliott.....and here are your answers......feel free to complain below......
Posted October 22, 2012 at 8:05 AM
2. Steel Phanton/Phantom’s Revenge @ Kennywood – While I don’t think it was ever the tallest, due to the ravine it had a huge drop and was the fastest for almost 9 years. In 2000, the inversions at the end of the ride were removed since there were complaints that they were too rough.
3. Xpress @ Walibi Holland – This coaster is nearly identical to the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster, but is an outdoor version of the ride.
4. Sky Sling by S&S Power, also known as Eruption @ Frontier City and Thrill Shot @ Six Flags Magic Mountain. If you look at it, it looks similar to an oversize buoy that you would normally see keeping your boat off the rocks. I am happy that they tore these things down before I showed up at a park with my son and was forced to ride the ^%&$# thing again.
5. Van Helsing’s Factory @ Movie Park Germany – My reference to batman seemed to throw everyone off. The original batman was Dracula. And Van Helsing is the guy who killed Dracula among many other suspected vampires. A couple of people guessed the Van Helsing: Fortress Dracula walkthrough attraction at Universal Studios Hollywood. I would have accepted that answer if the question didn’t specifically call out a roller coaster.
6. Pooh’s Hunny Hunt @ Tokyo Disneyland – You read a book, you ride around in a bucket or pot. The knocking around was a reference to the bouncing room.
7. Formula Rossa @ Ferrari World Abu Dhabi – After the explosive launch to 150 mph, you then immediately start riding the breaks all of the way through the rest of the ride.
8. Saw – The Ride @ Thorpe Park – I was hoping that people would get confused with the 7 Harry Potter books, but that never happened. Saw had 5 movies out before they opened the ride, and then had two more.
9. Dudley Do-Right’s Ripsaw falls @ Universal’s Islands of Adventure – It is a top rated water ride, and in 2011 it caught fire.
10. Oblivion @ Alton Towers – Oblivion was code named SW4 (Secret Weapon 4) and had a controversy over obnoxious Fanta advertisements that wrecked the mood of a sinister ride setup.
11. Leviathan @ Canada’s Wonderland – Only one person got this. A Leviathan is a large sea monster, and in the book Moby Dick, it is used often to describe the whale. At 306 feet tall, it is huge.
12. Captain EO @ multiple Disney parks – Idey, Ody, Major Domo, Minor Domo, and Hooter were all part of Captain EO’s crew.
13. Cranium Command in the Wonders of Life Pavillion @ Epcot – If I were a zombie, my favorite attraction would be about brains. Buzzy is the main character, and the Wonders of Life Pavillion has a golden dome.
14. Madagascar: A Crate Adventure @ Universal Studios Singapore – I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. I like to move it, move it. Move it!
15. Azul, Lure of the Sea @ Sea World San Antonio – I thought that naming off all of the beluga whales at the lesser known Sea World park might throw some people off, but I was amazed how many people knew the names of the whales. Azul, Lure of the Sea is the show that features the beluga whales.
16. Hollywood Dream: The Ride @ Universal Studios Japan – In the lesser known Universal Studios park, they have a B&M coaster similar in style to the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit. The difference is that they only have 5 available songs….and the fact that it is a B&M coaster instead of a Maurer Sohne means that they probably have fewer problems with it and it is a smoother ride.
17. Revenge of the Mummy @ various Universal Studios parks – That line is spoken by Imhotep about halfway through the ride.
18. The American Idol Experience @ Disney’s Hollywood Studios – It is the only attraction that I can think of where if you win, you are given a coupon to bypass the regular line at regional American Idol auditions.
19. Millennium Force @ Cedar Point – It was the tallest for only 2-1/2 months before Steel Dragon 2000 opened. Since it open, it has been rated as the #1 roller coaster in the world several times.
20. Tower of Terror @ Tokyo DisneySea – It does not have the Twilight Zone overlay, so they had to create a new storyline. The new storyline has to do with Harrison Hightower, who after an expedition to Africa brings back the Shirki Utundu, which is what causes the mansion to start eating guests.
This discussion has been archived, and is not accepting additional responses.
Theme Park Insider Guidebooks
Top U.S. Theme Parks
Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom
Other Top International Parks
Readers' Top Themed Rides
Top Roller Coasters
Top Theme Park Shows
Features, News and Advice
2014 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar.
2013 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2012 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2011 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2010 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2009 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2008 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2007 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2006 Blog PostsJan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
2005 Blog PostsDec.
2004-2005Staff column archive