Gwazi

Justin Kermgard

Submit Photo

Published: April 24, 2008

Thrill seekers at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay can ride the legendary Gwazi, the Southeast’s largest and fastest double wooden roller coaster featuring 1.25 million feet of twisting lumber. Named after a fabled lion with a tiger's head, Gwazi takes riders through 7,000 feet of track and six “flybys” in which the trains pass each other.

According to African legend, the Gwazi Lion, with its superior strength, is locked in an intense battle over territory with the Gwazi Tiger, known for its cunning and superior speed. Each coaster has a distinct theme that symbolizes the different personalities and environments of the ferocious cats. Gwazi lion’s territory includes lava rocks in an African desert atmosphere, while the Gwazi tiger claims the lush landscape and cool streams of Asia.

Mark Hollamon
This old girl has become very rough with age. The last time I rode a wooden coaster this rough was Son of Beast. They had to tear that one down. I think this should be next.
Owen  Scott
Take it out already !! It was fun racing against each other but now with the lion side running it's boring. Hopefully they'll take it out and put the rumored "speed coaster" 7-10
Will Sullivan
A perfectly fine coaster for people who don't suffer from migraines when riding it. However, I do.
Bradley Keith
Gwazi seems to get worse as time goes on (roughness), like many woodies do. Even though it's still fun and worth a ride, it's not world class and incredible like it was back in 1999. It seems like the ride operators agree, because they don't treat it like it is, either. Like mentioned before, they almost never dispatch them at the same time which, when it's designed to be a dueling coaster, makes a bigger difference than you'd think.
brian newsome
I love this coaster. It's fast and intense and never seems to let up. My only dislike is the long load times and the fact that they rarely dispatch the Lion and Tiger at simultaneously.
Annette Hatch
We sat in the front of the tiger side & I LOVED it. Very fast, and I was shocked at how padded the seats were. My brothers are 6 foot 4 and 6 foot 7, both of them fit in the cars with ease (which is odd).
Steven D
This coastr was great! i dont know why but it reminded me of the boardwalk bullet.
Peter Coulton
It's very rough and rattly, even by woody standards, but still good fun. We got a walk on and rode both sides one after the other, not something I'd recommend unless you don't mind risking a severe battering followed by a headache!
Tim Hillman
Ow! Ow! Ow! Where's the aspirin and the heating pad? Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration, but I've never been able to ride both tracks in the same day because I'm too worried about developing Parkinson's when I get older. Enjoy it and then move on to the steel coasters.
D H
I thought it was great. Yeah it rattles you about but wooden coasters are meant to do that! If it was a steel smooth coaster it would seem a lot slower. Don't get on if you just ate and also both sides are exact same! 9/10