Welcome to Theme Park Insider! Join the community or log in
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email Newsletter

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad reviews

Theme Park Insider readers offer their ratings and reviews for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, a roller coaster in Frontierland at Disneyland. (The minimum height to ride is 40 inches.)

This relatively mild coaster takes you through an abandoned gold mine in the old west. Try the "goat trick," by keeping your eyes on the goat as you descend the second hill for as long as you can. How mild is this coaster? The front cars of the train will bottom out on the third hill before the middle of the train even crests.

Readers' rating:

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
63 votes, so far

This is a fun ride through and through. From the moment you step in line your taken to the Old West. The theme here really is a big plus. The ride itself is lengthy and offers plenty of fun for everyone. Like with other Disneyland attractions this ride gets a new vibe to it at night, so if you can try it at night time. - Manny Barron

This is a good starter coaster that has really nice theming to go with it. (8/10) - Lexi R

Very well themed family coaster. Highly recommend riding at night during the fireworks. - Sarah Barnes

This is the wildest ride in the wilderness and one of my favorite rides in the park, especially whenI ride this at night. - daniel reyes

Back when coasters were more about fun that exreme thrills and pain, this coaster came out of era as a crowning gem. One of the few rides that I will admit to being better than WDW's version, we rode this more than Space mountain, because in Disneyland, it is far better than Space Mountain. - Skipper Adam

Fun, fun, fun. I went on the ride with my little cousins during the day and we had a blast and during the late night hours I went on again to get a taste of the nighttime experience with dad. A great ride, really cool whether it's night or day. - Teddy D.

fun roller coaster...not thrilling..but very fun! - N O

Again, I was only five, but this one was still boring for me, it was just like riding a train through the mountains, no thrill at all and it gets boring, you get the feeling on this coaster that you get when your mom is taking hours to finish shopping and you want to go home. I had more fun on gadget go coaster. - Steven D

This ride has Fast Pass, although not indicated on the maps (at least not in July '11). - Amy Tupper

Stories from a Theme Park Insider

Stories from a Theme Park Insider

What's it like to work in a theme park? Stories from a Theme Park Insider takes you inside the famous tunnels and backstage at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom for a look at how theme parks really work, sharing the funny moments and embarrassments that can happen when your job is someone else's vacation.
Order now: Kindle | iBooks | Paperback | Kindle (UK)