Welcome to Theme Park Insider! Join the community or log in
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email Newsletter

Accidents Involving Injury at Knott's Berry Farm

Official U.S. federal and state data on theme park accidents is almost nonexistent. That's why Theme Park Insider users are creating this visitor-maintained database of theme park accidents--to give public at least some information about attraction safety records.

Do you know of, or have been part of, an accident involving injury at Knott's Berry Farm? Report it to Theme Park Insider.

Verified Incidents

(Even though these incidents have been verified, individual reports might contain the opinion of the persons submitting them.)

10/7/2010 - Pony Express - Submitted by robert on 10/7/2010

Several riders were injured when two coaster units collided during the park's Halloween Haunt event.

• Click here if you have additional information.
    10 people were injured at about 8:00 last night on the pony express. 9 people were injured on the train that did not make it up the hill. 1 person was injured while boarding the train at the station. the cause of the accident is under investigation. as of now i have no further information, but will post some in next couple of days. by knott's fan: issac -- Submitted by knott'sfanisaac on 10/8/2010

9/16/2009 - Xcelerator - Submitted by ThemeParkFreak on 9/16/2009
    It happened today. I saw the Buena Park Fire Department working to get people out of the ride. We saw it from the high part of the Log Ride and had a hard time seeing it because Knott's roped off everywhere near the ride so park visitors could not see what was going on. Workers told me a cable broke and people got hurt but that is all they could tell me.

• Click here if you have additional information.
    I was on the ride. the launch was smooth but as we went up the first hill we heard a weird spins like metal on metal. Then we saw all this smoke and someone said they saw sparks. the ride then lost speed and short shot rolling all the way back down but not into the station. Becausw we weren't back in the station our lap bars did not release and ride engineers were called in to release us. The kid in front of me had a gnarly gash on his leg and I coached his dad in controlling the bleeding before the medics arrived. ride attendants say that the catch car cable that launches the train frayed and broke striking the kid in The leg -- Submitted by Juegoconfuego on 9/17/2009

It was on the news the day it happened. When will it reopen? -- Submitted by tatsu92 on 2/9/2010

Ride Video from the accident leaked onto YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5yCeplHc4 -- Submitted by docbrownB2TF on 9/18/2009

I was on the ride when the cable snapped. i was sitting all the way in the back. the ride took off very fast, i heard a very loud grinding sound then i seen the explosion from the cable.. i thought we were gonna die., then i saw a big ball of cable debris in the air headed my way and sure enough smacked me in the face. as confused as i was , we started heading backwards and the ride was hitting some metal under it, and then we quickly stopped. then i heard screaming.. and then an kbf employee asked me if i was ok and i never felt the sharpest throbbing aching pain in my back before in my life i said no! wtf my back and thats when the ambulance came to take me to the hospital. ive been hurt still ever since. irritating pain and discomfort.:( i hate rides now. -- Submitted by adamguevara626 on 10/10/2010

8/18/2003 - Stagecoach - Submitted by Darkbeer on 8/20/2003
    The stagecoach lost pressure in its brakes, causing operators to be unable to stop the coach. The horse team ran into a fence, causing the death of one of the lead horses, and minor, unspecified injuries to one ride operator and two guests.

• For more information about this incident, visit http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=53234§ion=LOCAL&subsection=LOCAL&year=2003&month=8&day=20

• 9/21/2001 - Perilous Plunge - Submitted by robert on 9/24/2001
    A 40-year-old woman fell out of the boat as it made its steep descent down a 115-foot drop at the end of the ride. She fell into the water and was later pronounced dead at a local hospital. The investigation is focusing on both the woman's size and whether a ride attendant checked her restraint.

• For more information about this incident, visit http://www.latimes.com/la-000076818sep25.story

• Click here if you have additional information.
    The lady did slip out of the restraint when it hit the decent part and she fell to her death. The ride has been changed to now have seat belts/restraints. ALL RIDES SHOULD NOW HAVE BOTH SEAT BELTS AND RESTRAINTS. THE RESTRAINTS JUST HOLD YOU IN PLACE BUT WITH SEAT BELTS YOUR MORE PROTECTED. THEY HAD TO SHUT DOWN XCELERATOR DOWN FOR A MONTH TO ADD SEAT BEALTS AND ALL NEW RESTRAINTS. I HAVE WORK FOR KNOTTS FOR 3 YEARS SO ANYTHING ELSE EMAIL ME. -- Submitted by bella2004 on 7/30/2004

While on a ride at Knotts this past weekend an employee was telling the story of what he saw while working the day of the Perilous Plunge incident. His story goes that the lady had very large breasts and was too confined for the ride and undid the restraining straps on the ride so that she would fit and be more comfortable. Unfortunately this caused her to fall out, she was ok until a boat hit her and killed her. He stated that there was blood in the water and that it recirculated through all the places that this water was being used at. What an unfortunate accident this was. -- Submitted by Caligayle3 on 12/25/2007

8/31/2001 - Montezooma's Revenge - Submitted by mikesnow on 9/5/2001
    A 25-year-old woman died after suffering a ruptured middle cerebral artery.

• For more information about this incident, visit http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-000071728sep05.story

• Click here if you have additional information.
    That woman who died on Montezuma's Revenge was my doctor's wife. -- Submitted by Tatsu on 6/4/2009

1/27/2001 - Calico Railroad - Submitted by robert on 5/7/2001
    A ride operator suffered multiple fractures to one leg and a fractured foot on the other leg when he was trapped under the train's cowcatcher and dragged about 50 feet. No guests were injured, however.

• For more information about this incident, visit http://www.calendarlive.com/top/1,1419,L-LATimes-Family-X!ArticleDetail-31325,00.html

• 8/23/1999 - GhostRider - Submitted by Name Withheld on 5/16/2001
    A piece of wood flew off the track and hit 5 people on the ride. Injuries were minor. (See bottom of story)

• For more information about this incident, visit http://www.cnn.com/US/9908/26/rollercoasters.01/

• Click here if you have additional information.
    my father built the emergency steps on GhostRider. I hope you used them after this happened and if yo udid the thank my dad who wors with WestHelm. (and yes i am using this for advertisement) :D -- Submitted by treeblossom123 on 12/30/2009

Unverified Reports

7/14/2011 - GhostRider - Submitted by bigdaddyrichist on 7/17/2011
    The first time I went on ghostrider was about 4 years ago and I said I would never go on it again,because my seatbel came unhooked during the ride.well we now have season pass's and on 7/14/2011 I went with my daugher and she begged me to go on ghostrider so ya I did,so I get on the ride and this time the safety bar doesn't go down so the worker walks by andgets a screw driver and pokes it in a hole to make it go down.after the ride was over and as I was exiting I noticed the workers on the ghostrider ride all caryy screwdrivers with them really is that ride really that safe? Don't go on it!!!!!

• This incident has not been confirmed. Click here if you can verify it, or have additional information.
  • 6/11/2011 - silver bullet stairs - Submitted by sergafry on 6/13/2011
    my son fell coming down the stairs of the silver bullet fell forward and right bellow his knee cap on the left side god a 4inch cut and very deep cut was cause by the edge of the stairs he started bleeding ridiculously and had to be taken to the hospital and got 12 to 15 stitches now he is in pain every time he moves it even a little

• 5/10/2010 - Silver Bullet - Submitted by EscondidoMarine on 5/12/2010
    It was our last ride of the day and at the last turns on the Silver Bullet some black grease fell from above onto my gf's leg and something flew into my eye. Of course after teasing my gf for closing her eyes on all the rides I would later find out the next day from my eye doctor that a piece of metal was lodged in my cornea. No fun still hurst after it was removed and left a rust stain in my eye.

• 11/8/2009 - GhostRider - Submitted by mandy on 11/10/2009
    This ride jerked me so hard to the left and then instantly jerked me hard to the right, hitting my sister's shoulder. Felt something pull apart in my ribcage and I continued to experience alot of pain. Early next morning, I was driven to Urgent Care (could not drive myself due to the pain). Received immediate pain shot order from MD. CT scan was done to rule out internal injury. Subsequently, was diagnosed with severe chest wall strain/tear. Off work for 4 days.

• 2/1/2009 - GhostRider - Submitted by jessica1107 on 2/4/2009
    I visited Knott's this past Sunday, February 1st with my 9 year old daughter, my neighbor and her 8 year old daughter. Our first ride was Ghost Rider and since my neighbor’s daughter did not meet the height requirement I sat out with her while my neighbor went on the ride with my daughter. After the ride ended my daughter immediately began complaining about her neck hurting and my neighbor, Shari suddenly had a headache, I gave both of them Advil for pain and then got some ice for my daughter’s neck. We spent the rest of the day tending to their pains. That night Shari’s headache began to move down her neck to her back, she had to see her Doctor yesterday for the back pain who quickly prescribed muscle relaxers and she has as of now missed the last two days of work. She can’t sit longer than an hour due to the pain. As far as my daughter she still has not regained full movement of her head and we are still alternating ice and warm compresses to help alleviate the pain.

• 8/12/2007 - Jaguar - Submitted by MysticHeart on 8/15/2007
    My husband and I rode lots of rides at Knotts including extreme rollercoasters. But when we rode the less extreme "Jaguar" my husband was slammed into the side and broke his rib. "Jaguar" is a very violent rollercoaster slamming you from side to side.

• 7/6/2007 - GhostRider - Submitted by mauratracy on 7/7/2007
    After riding the Ghostrider at Knott's yesterday, my neck is very stiff and painful when I move certain ways. It started to stiffen up a couple hours after riding. For me, that ride was ridiculously rough. It felt like a battering. The kids with me, though, still liked it. I'm in my early forties, and I hated it. I can totally see where it could cause lasting injury.

• 5/10/2007 - GhostRider - Submitted by TinaC on 5/12/2007
    While riding Ghost Rider my head was jerked backwards very hard toward the beginning of the ride. It felt uncomfortable all day. The next day I had nausea, tingling in the hands and more pain. I went to Kaiser Urgent Care. X-Rays came back negative, but the diagnosis was a Hyperextension of the neck (a whiplash type injury). I was given a muscle relaxer and ibuprofen.

• 6/21/2003 - GhostRider - Submitted by HAPIMS on 6/24/2003
    Got this through e-mail. Child leaned forward too far forward and did a headplant into the seat in front of him. Blood all over his arm and face, with blood splattered on the lapbar and inside the car, his shirt also seemed to have a amount of blood on it.

• 3/28/2003 - GhostRider - Submitted by Name Withheld on 3/28/2003
    I went on Ghostrider for the first time. As we went down the first drop, my head flew back and I sustained a whiplash type injury. I reported it immediately, and told them there was a picture of the incident too, as their camera took one when the injury happened. They believed me because of the picture mostly, but never said I should get checked by a doctor, and said that they could do nothing but let the manufacturer of the ride know about what happened. They need to have neck support on this ride. I have a copy of the picture.

I would like to know more about the incidents on Ghostrider and the people who were hurt on the first drop -- Submitted by Hoodack on 12/18/2004

Linda Haggerty broke her neck while riding Ghost Rider @ Knott's Berry Farm. She reported sudden onset of severe neck pain when her head was jerked rapidly backward and forward at the BEGINNING of the ride. Three unrelated acquaintances have advised us they received previous whiplash type injuries (but did not report)resulting in chronic neck pain after riding Ghost Rider. How many others have seriously injured their neck on this ride? It is scary that people have no idea the risks they are taking when riding this roller coaster. -- Submitted by shannonhaggerty2 on 1/21/2007

11/18/2001 - Montezooma's Revenge - Submitted by Name Withheld on 5/19/2003
    while on this ride, my cousin got whip lash from his head was forced down because of the force. he was only eight years old, and he couldnt move his neck for a week.

I can confirm the existence of the force, therefor confirming the claims of the poor child struck by the force causing his injuries. There was alot of force that day. Source: My cousin is from Degoba. -- Submitted by arghhhbrains on 4/10/2011

10/13/2001 - GhostRider - Submitted by Name Withheld on 10/15/2001
    On the first drop of Ghost Rider, my head was whipped all the way back, and I had to grab onto a friend to pull myself up. This happened to be where they take the photo, and in the picture my face could not be seen. I did not feel any pain directly after the incident, however the next day, as well as today, there is pain in my neck, on the front and back, and it hurts to swallow and move normally.

• 10/20/1996 - Calico Railroad - Submitted by Name Withheld on 11/17/2002
    A Ride Operator on The Calico Railroad was killed while uncoupling cars from the locomotive following the park closing. The cars shifted, pinning him between the cars and the tender, and killing him instantly. The accident occured while the park was setting up for that night's Halloween Haunt, and delayed the opening of Haunt for some time. T

This accident infact, did happen. The ride operator, was a train engineer named George. This tragedy was indeed an accident, and the other parties involved were very cautious, serious engineers. Only George himself knows why he suddenly told them over the radio to "STOP!" -- Submitted by Name Withheld on 5/20/2004

Yes, this tragedy did indeed happen. I read about it in one of the many Railroad magazines and pulications I read. -- Submitted by TrainMan on 5/6/2007

George Berecz, 55, of Anaheim was crushed while separating two passenger cars of the Calico Railroad ride. -- Submitted by impyness on 10/8/2010

No Date Reported - Calico Railroad - Submitted by Name Withheld on 5/20/2004
    A train Bandit suffered severe ankle sprain, and strain to his shoulders, when the hand rail on the left rear of the caboose rusted through, and gave way as the bandit attempted to climb aboard the moving train. This caused the bandit to fall back to the ground, landing on his feet, but causing the injury.

Accident confirmed- personal involvement. -- Submitted by Name Withheld on 5/20/2004

No Date Reported - Calico Railroad - Submitted by Badguy on 5/20/2004
    A train Bandit suffered severe ankle sprain, and strain to his shoulders, when the hand rail on the left rear of the caboose rusted through, and gave way as the bandit attempted to climb aboard the moving train. This cause the bandit to fall back to the ground, landing on his feet, but causing the injury.

• If you have additional information that can confirm, clarify or refute any of these reports, please e-mail the editor! (Please don't forget to include the attraction's name in your message.)