Powderkeg

James Rao

Published: September 20, 2011

Powder Keg is an S&S Power launched coaster that hits speeds of 50+ mph in 2.8 seconds before catapulting riders on a twisting, hill-laden track that is designed to provide a sense of flying. Due to the ingenious lap restraint system, riders of almost all sizes can ride, which means the whole family can experience this intense thrill ride together, and air-time is maximized.

Guests between 42" - 48" must ride with an adult companion.

Bobbie Butterfield
Powder Keg was a new experience because unlike other launch coasters I've ridden, it uses compressed air in lieu of a hydraulic launch or linear induction motor to launch the train. The launch is pretty exciting and the ride is very smooth with a series of drops and turns. I found Powder Keg to be a fun ride with a lot of kick but can't say that it blew me away.
James Rao
Thrilling, smooth, fast, and family-friendly, Powder Keg is my favorite ride at Silver Dollar City. Furthermore, it is one of my top ten favorite coasters of all time. Several audio elements along the course increase the immersion factor on this coaster, but over time these elements have been relegated to mere background noise with a rushed delivery following a litany of warning announcements provided to appease SDC lawyers. I sincerely hope that one day the audio is fully restored to its former glory. I do so enjoy being welcomed back to the station with a hearty, "Whoo-wee! We made it!"
Tim Chatlos
A real surprise and genuinely thrilling!
Will Gibson
The most airtime on any coaster! The first hill is the only time I ever really felt like I was going to fall out of a coaster. The launch & the helix are great. One of my favorites. Intensity: 8/10