Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

Motion Base Ride

Photo of Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

You are visiting Gringotts Bank to meet with Bill Weasley and tour the underground vaults before opening your own Gringotts account. However, you just happen to be visiting on the same day that Harry, Ron, and Hermoine have disguised themselves to break into Bellatrix Lestrange’s vault, from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Before your tour can begin, Bellatrix finds you and attacks, soon to be joined by Voldemort. Will you ever escape from the “safest place on Earth”? A hybrid of roller coaster and motion-base ride systems, coupled with 3D filmed scenes and practical effects, Escape from Gringotts features filmed performances from Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Finnes, and Domhnall Gleeson, who reprised their roles as Bellatrix, Voldemort, and Bill Weasley, respectively, for this ride.

Still like Forbidden Journey better but this one is also PERFECT!
This is an attraction that gets better the more times you ride. There's so much going on, and the sets are so huge and seamless with the screens, that it takes repeat rides to fully appreciate. After my first ride I would have given the ride portion of the attraction an 8. But after a couple of more rides I changed my score to a perfect 10. It's as good as Spiderman, Transformers, and Mummy, but a notch below Forbidden Journey... We ended up riding Gringott's 11 times on our vacation. I've never rode a ride where seat placement changes the attraction so much. Depending on your seat in one of the two cars, your placement in front of, and view of, the screens is often dramatically different. For best thrills sit in the last row of the second car. But my favorite seat for screen viewing was first row far left of the second car. The queue is an A+ with some of the best AA's I have ever experienced.
We rode it on a Tuesday early in the afternoon, since it was slow period we only had to spend an hour in line. Here I have to give them an outstanding. The staging area had lots of fans, some with misters, and a roof. The line does move quickly but it was a very long line that filled about two thirds of the staging area. Graphics were great and the ride itself, well just as it starting to get really good you hear the remain seated message. If I had it to do all over again I would have used that hour waiting in line to ride The Mummy again.
Almost perfect if not for the breakaway door not always working, not many practical sets, and frequent breakdowns. But other than that, the queue and ride are fantastic.
:-•*P*E*R*F*E*C*T* ___‹^^^›_‹(•¿•)›_‹^^^›___*5 STAR'S*•-:¦:
Amazing ride! Sometimes it gets a little off track, but still amazing!
Absolutely great queue and excellent theming. But even though the ride was very good; I didn't think it was quite as good as the original Harry Potter:Forbidden Journey. Great ride nonetheless. 9/10
Wish I could give it a better rating, I am "Pooh" sized & there for could not fit :(
I tried in the test seat & almost fit, a lady that worked out front told me to go ahead in that there shouldn't be a problem, so I got all the way there & still couldn't fit. I'm glad Disney caters more to the "Pooh" people cause Universal was not kind. No Mummy ride, no Hulk ride, no Harry Potter rides (except hippogriff), & no RipRideRocket. What a shame :( Loved the Bank though!
Definitely top of the list ride for me!!! I want to go again and again, I love it!
Rode this a few times, the 3D could be clearer and break downs are annoying and make the lines way too slow. Queue is fantastic.
Is it the world's greatest ride? No. Does it capture the magic of the Potterverse while offering a great experience? Absolutely!
The first time I rode this I was VERY disapointed. Since then, the ride has keeping getting better and better EACH TIME. I love how Universal mantain his signature simulator combinated with real props ride refreshing with roller-coaster type elements. The first drop is really small but extremely fun as well as the final launch. HBC performance is soo good ("Tell us or we'll destroy you!") and the ride is completly inmersive, even more than Forbidden Journey. Now, let's talk about the queue. It's extremely well done. The goblin animatronics are realistic as hell and the elevator "ride" is fun. However, as an overall experience I prefer Forbidden Journey. Escape from Gringotts is a 9.5/10 for me, excellent rating.
Personally my favourite ride at universal studios. Has a really good queue area especially the main hall with the animatronics, the ride itself is amazing and definitely worth the long wait. The 3d scenes are great especially the one near the end in the dome structure. However in terms of a roller coaster it isn't that great has a few good bends, picks up speed near the end and also has a cool tilt drop near the beginning, but it is more of a car moving people from scene to scene rather than an actual roller coaster. If I would suggest anything it would be to get to Gringotts early during the day especially at opening time. Of you can get the early entry by staying in one of their hotels or sometimes if you book through virgin they also get you one early access into both wizard ing worlds.
Excellent ride, but not as good as Forbidden Journey.
This attraction may be the first time that at Universal that I felt the balance between screens and props was too skewed in favor of screens. Their rides have been moving further and further towards the use of screens, but with this attraction hopefully they have discovered the limits.

Having said that, this was an attraction that impressed me wholly by its use of the latest technology but left me wanting in terms of the overall story/ride experience. It felt strange not to have the focus on the 3 primary characters. Even though they were present in the ride, they were passive toward the audience and you could feel it. And of all the secondary characters to take the front stage, why Bill Weasley? I don't feel the connection here like I do in Forbidden Journey, where Harry, Ron, and Hermione are at the center of my interaction with the ride.

I also felt that the end of the attraction was anticlimatic, and the way out was way too easy for us and the main characters. It really didn't seem like Voldemort was trying all that hard, and I don't even remember what happens to him in the end. And as a result of the heavy screen usage, I did not feel as engaged as I could have been.

However, I appreciated the incredible attention to details, the technology, and the care with which Universal approached this material. It was one of those situations where the sum of the parts was less than the whole. I rode the ride twice just to be sure I was getting everything that was intended for the experience. Overall, I'd give this attraction a 7/10.

The queue, the ride, the area all amazing! A must do even if you are not a die hard Harry Potter fan.
This ride definitely got better the more I rode it. I loved the queue, but it was a treat for a theme park geek like me to unravel the sheer number of new effects and effect combinations on the ride itself. Having said that, the narrative doesn't quite hold together for me. I don't get why the best that Voldemort could muster on us is a fire spell that he casts in the wrong direction. I don't get why we should feel safe at the end returning to a train station still miles underground when we know that Voldemort is on our tail (like, why can't we burst out the bank with the dragon and all?). AND, SPEAKING OF WHICH, what about that huge "hydrolator" down to the ride level? It's a great way to create the illusion of being deep in the earth. But, uh, that illusion is broken pretty fast when you only have to take a few stairs (down!) to exit back to street level.

This is really nitpicking though. The ride is excellent, and I found myself enjoying it more and more, which is the sign of a great attraction. Once you've gone through the proper queue once, the single rider line is a beautiful thing (but don't expect to take the elevator there!). Oh, and the sound design is the best I've ever heard on a ride.

Great attraction, if a bit short. The queue is so detailed and amazing. The ride itself is great fun, and I love the first drop, as it caught me by surprise. The screens themselves look great and the physical sets are very impressive. The final launch also caught me by surprise and is a ton of fun.

Subscribe or Donate to Support Theme Park Insider!