Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

Motion Base Ride

Photo of Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts

Published: February 16, 2015

You are visiting Gringotts Bank to meet with Bill Weasley and tour the underground vaults before opening your own Gringotts account. However, you just happen to be visiting on the same day that Harry, Ron, and Hermoine have disguised themselves to break into Bellatrix Lestrange’s vault, from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Before your tour can begin, Bellatrix finds you and attacks, soon to be joined by Voldemort. Will you ever escape from the “safest place on Earth”? A hybrid of roller coaster and motion-base ride systems, coupled with 3D filmed scenes and practical effects, Escape from Gringotts features filmed performances from Helena Bonham Carter, Ralph Finnes, and Domhnall Gleeson, who reprised their roles as Bellatrix, Voldemort, and Bill Weasley, respectively, for this ride.

Sebastian Quevedo
The first time I rode this I was VERY disapointed. Since then, the ride has keeping getting better and better EACH TIME. I love how Universal mantain his signature simulator combinated with real props ride refreshing with roller-coaster type elements. The first drop is really small but extremely fun as well as the final launch. HBC performance is soo good ("Tell us or we'll destroy you!") and the ride is completly inmersive, even more than Forbidden Journey. Now, let's talk about the queue. It's extremely well done. The goblin animatronics are realistic as hell and the elevator "ride" is fun. However, as an overall experience I prefer Forbidden Journey. Escape from Gringotts is a 9.5/10 for me, excellent rating.
Jack Edwards
Personally my favourite ride at universal studios. Has a really good queue area especially the main hall with the animatronics, the ride itself is amazing and definitely worth the long wait. The 3d scenes are great especially the one near the end in the dome structure. However in terms of a roller coaster it isn't that great has a few good bends, picks up speed near the end and also has a cool tilt drop near the beginning, but it is more of a car moving people from scene to scene rather than an actual roller coaster. If I would suggest anything it would be to get to Gringotts early during the day especially at opening time. Of you can get the early entry by staying in one of their hotels or sometimes if you book through virgin they also get you one early access into both wizard ing worlds.
Daniel Galvan
Excellent ride, but not as good as Forbidden Journey.
Nick McKaig
This attraction may be the first time that at Universal that I felt the balance between screens and props was too skewed in favor of screens. Their rides have been moving further and further towards the use of screens, but with this attraction hopefully they have discovered the limits.

Having said that, this was an attraction that impressed me wholly by its use of the latest technology but left me wanting in terms of the overall story/ride experience. It felt strange not to have the focus on the 3 primary characters. Even though they were present in the ride, they were passive toward the audience and you could feel it. And of all the secondary characters to take the front stage, why Bill Weasley? I don't feel the connection here like I do in Forbidden Journey, where Harry, Ron, and Hermione are at the center of my interaction with the ride.

I also felt that the end of the attraction was anticlimatic, and the way out was way too easy for us and the main characters. It really didn't seem like Voldemort was trying all that hard, and I don't even remember what happens to him in the end. And as a result of the heavy screen usage, I did not feel as engaged as I could have been.

However, I appreciated the incredible attention to details, the technology, and the care with which Universal approached this material. It was one of those situations where the sum of the parts was less than the whole. I rode the ride twice just to be sure I was getting everything that was intended for the experience. Overall, I'd give this attraction a 7/10.

kevin c
The queue, the ride, the area all amazing! A must do even if you are not a die hard Harry Potter fan.
Jonah Sirota
This ride definitely got better the more I rode it. I loved the queue, but it was a treat for a theme park geek like me to unravel the sheer number of new effects and effect combinations on the ride itself. Having said that, the narrative doesn't quite hold together for me. I don't get why the best that Voldemort could muster on us is a fire spell that he casts in the wrong direction. I don't get why we should feel safe at the end returning to a train station still miles underground when we know that Voldemort is on our tail (like, why can't we burst out the bank with the dragon and all?). AND, SPEAKING OF WHICH, what about that huge "hydrolator" down to the ride level? It's a great way to create the illusion of being deep in the earth. But, uh, that illusion is broken pretty fast when you only have to take a few stairs (down!) to exit back to street level.

This is really nitpicking though. The ride is excellent, and I found myself enjoying it more and more, which is the sign of a great attraction. Once you've gone through the proper queue once, the single rider line is a beautiful thing (but don't expect to take the elevator there!). Oh, and the sound design is the best I've ever heard on a ride.

Bryce McGibeny
Great attraction, if a bit short. The queue is so detailed and amazing. The ride itself is great fun, and I love the first drop, as it caught me by surprise. The screens themselves look great and the physical sets are very impressive. The final launch also caught me by surprise and is a ton of fun.
Rob Pastor
This is an attraction that gets better the more times you ride. There's so much going on, and the sets are so huge and seamless with the screens, that it takes repeat rides to fully appreciate. After my first ride I would have given the ride portion of the attraction an 8. But after a couple of more rides I changed my score to a perfect 10. It's as good as Spiderman, Transformers, and Mummy, but a notch below Forbidden Journey... We ended up riding Gringott's 11 times on our vacation. I've never rode a ride where seat placement changes the attraction so much. Depending on your seat in one of the two cars, your placement in front of, and view of, the screens is often dramatically different. For best thrills sit in the last row of the second car. But my favorite seat for screen viewing was first row far left of the second car. The queue is an A+ with some of the best AA's I have ever experienced.
Josh Pearson
Of all of Universal's screen-based dark rides, Escape from Gringotts is the only attraction where the screen-to-screen structure is noticeable to me. This is probably a side effect of the overall lack of simulation in the attraction - out of the five or six significant screen-based scenes that I count, only one offers significant simulation effects. As a result, several scenes in the attraction can feel drawn out and detached from guests. Contrast this with rides like Spider-Man, Transformers, and Forbidden Journey that all offer near-constant simulation during scenes. As a result, I find myself more consistently engaged with these rides when compared to Gringotts.

To be more positive, several elements of Gringotts are outstanding, including a track-based effect in the intro scene, the overall screen sizes and projection quality, the downright killer audio, and a spectacular finale maneuver. The physical sets are also enormous and detailed. Additionally, guests should find themselves easily distracted in the stellar queue and pre-show rooms featuring a variety of effects - from audio-animatronics, to high-quality musion projections, to a simulated elevator descent.

Overall, I'm giving Escape from Gringotts an 8/10. Despite numerous positives, I feel that the ride's general design offers poor pacing and perhaps boredom as certain scenes linger substantially with few elements of interactivity (simulation) to maintain engagement. Innovative ride technology, impressive projections and sets, and an incredible queue help it win points. Enjoyable attraction overall, but only die hard Potter fans should wait over an hour to ride.

Michael Weissman
What a great attraction. The queue should be considered part of the ride. It's gorgeous and incredibly well themed. The preshow is also great. You step into a elevator to take you down the vaults, a la Journey to the Center of the Earth at Tokyo DisneySea. Lots of similarities to that experience actually, which is great. Really well done and exciting. The ride itself is also a refreshing example of what can be done with coaster carts as a dark ride. While it is a little "screen" to next "screen", the transitions in between the videos are really clever and well done, and the 3D and the ride does not make you as dizzy as Forbidden Journey. The lack of physical props is upsetting, but the story the ride brings you on makes up for the lack of immersion using physical props. I felt more immersed in this ride then I did on Spiderman. Not saying the ride is better than Spiderman, as that might be a better "ride", but this is an immersive story that places you IN the Harry Potter movies at a specific moment, and you interact with part of the movie. What I found myself talking about to everyone when I got home, is how I felt like I was part of the movie, just unseen by the cameras at the time of filming, which is really cool. Can't wait to experience it again.
Mark Fairleigh
The loading is area is amazing..the rest of the queue is well themed, but the ride itself left me underwhelmed. It was basically getting moved around from screen to screen..I wish it had more of a thrill ride element, but overall it deserves marks for themeing and scale.
Kris V
I would rate the ride as 8 out of 10. It takes ride characteristics from the Mummy, Spiderman/Transformers, and the Forbidden Journey and mashes them together into what could be best described as a 3D dark ride that happens to have a few tame roller coaster elements (more like a mine train ride)included. The story is somewhat engaging, albeit slightly convoluted due to the short running time of the ride. The actual Gringotts Bank queue (after you stand in line outside which feels like an eternity) is impressive and the animatronic goblins look very, very real. I wouldn't recommend waiting over a hour to ride this ride though.

A few notes about the ride (possible spoilers):
It seems quite short, especially when compared to the Forbidden Journey.

There aren't many actual, physical settings throughout the ride. It almost feels as if the ride travels from screen to screen with transitions of darkness between scenes. You could have fooled me for the most part in believing I was in an underground cave.

The actor playing Bill Weasley almost feels like he's phoning his performance in. The scene that plays in the queue and his scenes on the ride had a weird vibe like he was just passively interacting with the audience and the characters around him.

luca ferracuti
its worth until 2.00 hours after that (in my case 3 hours) you'll get disappointed.
Christy Hall
I rate this 10 out of 10. The queue is spectacular, and the animatronic goblins are truly lifelike. I love this ride because to me, it is a perfect mix of simulator (which I hate) and mild roller coaster. It is definitely milder than Forbidden Journey, but that's ok. I actually like that they are 2 completely different rides. I hate that theme parks are only building 3D simulator rides anymore - I feel cheated out of a real ride. Escape from Gringotts provides a little of both. And the simulator aspects of Gringotts did NOT make me sick like most simulators do. We rode it 3 times in a row (2nd time it broke down half-way through which allowed us to ride the 3rd time). I loved it!
Jonathan Katz
Outstanding ride. The wait is worth it just for the queue alone. 9/10
Mark Hollamon
Great theme. Outstanding tech. Mediocre and slightly boring ride. I really was expecting a great deal more.
M. Ryan Traylor
Escape from Gringotts continues in the Universal tradition of putting the guest in the movie. Like Spiderman and Transformers before, this ride continues to tell a story. However, I was thinking there would be more coaster action to this attraction and not just a 3D sim ride that moved from room to room.

I'm very pleased that the posted wait time on my day of visiting was just 15 minutes. I don't think I would wait more than an hour for this ride in its first year. I'm not that die hard of a fan.

The tech elements are wonderful and amazing when they are all working, which thankfully they were for me.