Pirates of the Caribbean

Boat Ride

Walt Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean opened in 1973, two years after the rest of the Magic Kingdom. Originally, Disney Imagineers had planned to build an elaborate "Western River Expedition" dark ride in the Magic Kingdom, figuring that Floridians would have no interest in a Caribbean-themed boat ride, since the Caribbean is practically next door.

They were wrong. Disney World visitors demanded their own version of Pirates of the Caribbean, and Disney obliged. Walk through the Spanish fortress and step into a bateau for your ride into a mysterious cavern. Be sure to "keep your ruddy hands in board," though, for "there be rough seas ahead," ones that will drop you into a musical pirate adventure.

The Magic Kingdom's 10-minute Pirates ride omits several scenes from the Disneyland original but retains its most famous moments, including the attack on the Spanish Fort, the auction, the chase scene, and the burning city. Not to mention X Atencio's and George Bruns' famous theme song, "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pirate's Life for Me." In 2006, Disney added Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean films to the ride. Keep your eyes peeled — he appears in several scenes throughout the ride.

If you're curious, the plans for Western River Expedition made their way into two other Disney attractions. Some of the scenes from that indoor boat ride were incorporated into the Phantom Manor ride at Disneyland Paris. And the roller coaster planned for atop the Western River Expedition "mesa" building evolved into Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, which you'll find just around the corner in the Magic Kingdom's Frontierland.

It's not good compared to the DLR version. I rose this after riding the one in DLR, and it was disappointing. With no Blue Bayou, New Orleans theming, one semi-drop instead of two, and it's 7 minutes shorter.
Won't be riding it anymore after experiencing the Disneyland version!
PERFECT: After the refurb, I'd say this got even better. There's still a problem with the back rows getting strangely wet every now and then, but that's but a small complaint for such an extremely immersive ride that's fun. This was the first attraction that ever made my jaw drop (the first time seeing the battle scene was unbelievable). It's a close race with Haunted Mansion for my vote as best ride in the resort.
This ride is disappointing, especially compared to Disneyland's AMAZING version. I skip it when I go.
Compared to its California counterpart, this ride is pretty lame. Its drop isn't that good, and it only has one drop. Also, it cut out a lot of scenes that the Anaheim versions has. However, I do like the order of the scenes better than the order of the scenes at Disneyland. Also, its queue is very strong, but way too long. Even though there was no one in line, it took me a couple minutes to get through everything. 6/10
I rode this ride for the first time not too long ago, and I thought it was really fun! I've never actually seen any of the movies, but the way the attraction's set up, it's not too hard to catch on. The AA's are great, the music is fun, the setting is unique, I love the queue, really just a great Disney ride. Each time I visit Disney I always try to ride Pirates of the Caribbean because of how enjoyable it is.
Overall - 8.5/10
It's not my favorite thing in the Magic Kingdom, but I wouldn't call it bad. It's just not my thing. I have to admit that the general atmosphere built up by the queue and the music (and the smells!) are top notch, and the animatronics are fun, especially the Jack one, which you will swear is a real person the first time you see it. However, I've never been a big fan of the pirate thing, so I kinda don't care for it in that regard. Still a classic, though, and I'd hate for it to go. Gotta ride it at least once.
A wonderful classic! One of the original rides at the park, it was updated with new characters after the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies- help Jack Sparrow escape the clutches of Captain Barbosa! Great for everyone.