Happy 50th Anniversary to Six Flags over Georgia

Edited: June 16, 2017, 11:54 AM

Fifty years ago today, Six Flags over Georgia opened to the public. SFOG was the second park in the Six Flags chain. It is still considered by many to be among the most beautiful of the Six Flags parks due to its location along the Chattahoochee River and nestled among heavily wooded rolling hills of Cobb County.
The experience Six Flags provides isn't what the big year round parks offer, but that's OK. I will also say, that while I had many happy years working at Universal Orlando Resort, the years I spent at SFOG were by far the most enjoyable of my professional career.
So, raise a glass to Angus Wynn and his Great Southwest Corporation for setting the pace for regional theme parks across America.
Raise a glass to the thousands of young people who had their first jobs as a black tag host or hostess. The experience and job skills we gained have served us well.
Raise a glass to generations of guests who had their first thrilling ride on a roller coaster, or exposure to a Broadway style show, or taste of a Cherry-Berry frozen treat.
My greatest wish is that the seasonal staff who work at SFOG and all the other regional parks are having as much fun as I had.
That the friends they are making now will be the greatest friends they ever have.
That crushes and puppy love will blossom for many of them in to marriages and life long romances.
I only wish I was in Atlanta today for the big celebration taking place in the park.
Happy 50th Six Flags over Georgia. Long may your flags wave!

Replies (7)

Edited: June 19, 2017, 7:56 PM

My 1st park in 1968, had no idea what a 6 Flags Over Georgia was when dad said we were going. It wasn't on TV every Sunday like Disneyland. My 6 yr old self hated the Dolenaga mine train & didn't ride another coaster for 4 years, but that was the (then) record holding Great American Scream Machine, so I redeemed myself.

There was a jungle cruise type boat ride, an indoor Okeefenokee Swamp boat ride based on Mr's Bear, Fox and Rabbit (hmmm), the walk thru horror cave, a back gate, dolphins and H R Puffenstuff. Parents refused to buy a painting of me after I was forced to sit still for what seemed 8 or 9 years while it was done. I convinced them to let me sit in the balcony at the Crystal Pistol theater Golden Horeshoe-ish show, and even at that age I clearly recognized that it was not a ride. The 1st time I snuck out I failed to find the Horror Cave. The 2nd time I successfully found the Swamp boat, but failed to get back in time to not get caught (a later trip Dad was mad because I came back to the meeting spot on eastern time, where Atlanta is, instead of Birmingham's central time).

There is a 6FOG book in the Images of America series with a lot of good photos from the early days. It's changed a lot in the last 49 years.

June 20, 2017, 5:10 AM

Was Six Flags over Georgia anything before "Six Flags"?

June 20, 2017, 6:36 AM

Happy 50Th Six Flags over GA....

I actually visited this park way back in 1991 just after I got out of the US Navy. I wanted to visit a few friends (that got out or the service before me) who lived in Alabama. During this Alabama visit we went to SFOG...

Had a great time since this was the first real large Park I had ever visited...

Here's to another 50 years...!!!!

June 20, 2017, 6:55 AM

It was the 2nd of the 3 parks that opened under the 6F name, preceeded by Texas & followed by Mid-America (St Louis). The 6 flags referred to the Flags that had flown over GA (US, French, British, Spanish, state flag & confederate) with corresponding lands. Themes mostly obscured now, but there are the remains of the Spanish fort, I think there's a kid coaster there now.

June 20, 2017, 11:03 AM

Anthony - No. SFOG was built from scratch. Over time the Six Flags chain (owned by many different groups) did purchase other regional parks later branding them as Six Flags. Places like Magic Mountain in California, Great Adventure in New Jersey and Fiesta Texas to name a few. After Premier Parks bought the chain they also snapped up tiny Mom & Pop parks giving them the Six Flags name too. To my mind this seriously damaged the SF brand.
As Marc stated above, originally they were true Theme Parks. The lands represented the nations whose flag had flown over the area. Georgia included British, French, Spanish, Confederate, Georgia and USA. Because additional parks that were later added to the SF brand didn't have that built in theme, and for rather obvious political correctness in a modern age, the theme of Six Flags has been put aside.
If you are interested, a friend has put together an amazing set of images that show the evolution of the park over the last 50 years. Here is a link - https://www.facebook.com/scifitoy/media_set?set=a.10206034880971595.1073741858.1248488808&type=3

June 20, 2017, 7:57 PM

Oh yeah, encountered my 1st variation of fastpass here. When the Scream Machine opened they would give you a time to return. Memory is hazy, but I think it was a handstamp. The line to get the return time was on the hill by the carousel.

June 21, 2017, 9:47 PM

Yeah, I was curious because Six Flags Great America was built by Marriott. It also has a twin which is now owned by Cedar Fair in California.

They were built in 1976 so still a bit of a youngster!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive