Making space at Cedar Point- for what?

Edited: October 24, 2017, 7:17 PM

Cedar Point just announced a few major changes, or should I say removals, for 2018. Sandcastle Suites and Breakwater Cafe, an all-suite hotel and restaurant at the very tip of the Cedar Point peninsula, is going to be demolished, as is the Extreme Sports Stadium inside the park. There has been much talk about a major extension of the Boardwalk along the Lake Erie side of the park, and it was confirmed that it will be extended to connect the main parking lot with Cedar Point Shores water park, but Sandcastle Suites is far beyond the water park. Removing Sandcastle Suites will open up an extremely large area of Cedar Point, and it is only separated from Cedar Point Shores by the Camper Village, a relatively underdeveloped campground. If the Camper Village is also closed (which was not mentioned in the announcement) this would create an area directly adjacent to the water park that could nearly double its size.

However, Cedar Point has stated that it wants to continue towards its goal of being a destination resort, and removing one of the hotels on the peninsula doesn't seem to be a good way to do that without replacing the hotel rooms someplace, either there or on the mainland. I'm veering dangerously close to speculation, so I think that right now I'll just leave it at that.

Removing the Extreme Sports Stadium will open up the view of Lake Erie from the park itself, but doesn't really provide much room for more than one or maybe two small flat rides. Its location between Windseeker and Wicked Twister doesn't provide much flexibility. Once again, I'd be speculating. I guess we'll just have to wait through another northern Ohio winter, wondering what the future will bring us (while we anxiously await the premier of Steel Vengeance this coming May!).

Replies (2)

Edited: October 24, 2017, 8:02 PM

The Lake Erie side? I thought all sides were the Lake Erie side...? Except for the road coming from the mainland.

It's been 8 years since WoF got a new roller coaster.
It's been 9 years since MA got a new roller coaster.
It's been 10 years since VF got a new roller coaster bigger than a kiddie coaster.
It's been 5 years since DP got a new roller coaster.
It's been 4 years since CGA got a new roller coaster.

So, yeah, I think Cedar Point is due for something new and huge that burns the entire budget of the company.

October 25, 2017, 4:11 AM

OK, if you want to get technical, yes, all sides are the Lake Erie side, but that's if you also consider San Francisco to be surrounded on all three sides by the Pacific Ocean and don't distinguish SF Bay as a unique body of water. The water between CP and the City of Sandusky is called Sandusky Bay. Most locals talk about the "Lake" side and the "Bay" side of the park. The beach is on the Lake side, and the Marina is on the Bay side...but you knew that and are just jerking my chain a bit, aren't you? ;+) And I won't lecture you on the fact that there are two roads coming to Cedar Point, not just one.

I'm surprised that they're tearing down Sandcastle Suites, especially since it's really not that old. Cedar Point has a history of adding onto their hotel properties, not totally replacing them. They even lost their NRHP designation for the Breakers because of their extensive changes to the hotel. Either they're going to put a major new hotel on the site that they couldn't incorporate the existing (for a short time) building into, or something else entirely. I can't imagine they're going to simply expand the camping or cabins into such a prime location.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Park tickets

Weekly newsletter

New attraction reviews

News archive